Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Green petrol station Arklow - Beware

• 23-09-2008 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,146 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd let people know.

Called in to this station after coming off the Arklow South exit of the N11. Filled up with €50. Turned on the engine, the car struggled to get out of the garage, and clapped out and died just as we got across the road.

2 mechanics looked at it, couldn't get it going again, or figure out what was wrong with it. It had to be towed. The tow truck driver said never to buy petrol from that place, he's towed plenty of cars from it.

2 days later the problem was found out, dodgy fuel. The fuel tank was drained and the car worked fine. Before anybody says it, no it was not filled with diesel (it's a petrol car). The fuel has been sent away to be tested.

€200 for the mechanics and €50 of fuel gone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Good to know that cheaper is not always better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

So what are you going to do now? Pass the bill back to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

Would dodgy fuel work that quickly? Was your tank nearly empty when you filled it? How long before you hear back.I usually get petrol from tesco but i have the odd time gotten petrol there and had no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

viv2 wrote: »
    Would dodgy fuel work that quickly? Was your tank nearly empty when you filled it? How long before you here back.I usually get petrol from tesco but i have the odd time gotten petrol there and had no problems.

same as that.

If your tank was low, you know that all the sediment of years of motoring, then all the sediment that has gathered over the years will settle and be sucked into the engine.

Have you approached the manager to explain to them what has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,146 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm pretty sure the tank wasn't low. Actually wasn't my car, I wasn't driving either. It was bought 4 weeks before this happened. It's an 03.

Apparently the fuel can't be tested because it was put in a coke bottle instead of a water bottle. Clever stuff there.

Car worked perfectly until we stuck €50 of that fuel in it. Then breaks down straight away, mechanics say it's dodgy fuel, drain the tank and it works fine. Apparently some of those cheap petrol stations sometimes rotate their tanks, and they could have had diesel in the tank originally and some of that was still in the tank when they filled it up with petrol. Mechanic thought we'd put diesel in it (again this 100% wasn't the case).

Like I said, the tow truck driver said it wasn't the 1st car he'd towed from that garage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

There was a similar thread in the Greystones forum recently about another garage and what I said in that thread applies here also.

Unless you can come back with specific evidence, you should be very careful about what you put up here.

At the moment all you have is heresay and conjecture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Never had a problem with Applegreen petrol (from there or other), always fill up in Apple these days

Tesco down there does dodgy petrol though. Car runs much rougher and gets lower mpg (3-5 less) off that stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I think Tesco get their petrol from Shell and Statoil (Topaz), does that mean they have one type of petrol for Tesco and another for their own stations?

There was a similar thread in the Greystones forum recently about another garage and what I said in that thread applies here also.

Unless you can come back with specific evidence, you should be very careful about what you put up here.

At the moment all you have is heresay and conjecture.
    I regularally use the applegreen in Arklow and never a problem.The op is talking nonsense in my opinion and has been fed nonsense by his mechanics.
    I use Tesco Arklow aswell and never noticed anything wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I use the Green Apple in Arlow to fill both the Car and the Bike and have never had an problem with them. Been using them since January. It does seem strange that the car would start playing up as it was leaving the garage as it would take a while for the "contaminated" petrol to reach the engine as the fuel line would be full of original fuel for a good while as it runs pretty much fot the length of the car so would contain a good bit of fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 danny187

[Mod edit: Mikedragon32's point further up this thread about baseless allegations still applies.

also please don't bump 2-year old threads]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement