Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pool / Snooker Hall in Limerick

Options
  • 23-09-2008 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm doing enterprise development, and as part of my business plan for the module, I need to do market research.
    As UL students are a huge part of my potential target market, I want to get opinions and feedback here on my idea.

We are proposing to open a pool/snooker hall in Castletroy.
    It would have 8-10 pool tables, and 2 snooker tables.
    It would be located near Groody Bar, in the old shop on the corner to be precise.
    It would have a chill-out area, whereby you can sit and relax.
    It would serve minerals, crisps and chocolate and other such simple items, probably over a counter rather than a vending machine.
    It would be a relaxing atmosphere.

Opening hours would be 12pm - 11pm Mon-Sun.

Pool would cost €1 per game, and Snooker €6 per hour.

What are peoples ideas and opinions on this?

It is intended to be an alternative place to hang out, and play pool/snooker without loud music and alcohol. Somewhere to go instead of the cinema for 2 hours maybe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

That used to be a LAN cafe / shop. They had fairly steady business AFAIR. Unfortunately it flooded last year and had to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Yeah thats the place...

I need opinions on whether you would use such a facility if we opened it for real. Is that located too far from college? Is there enough interest?

I'll take info such as my friends love pool, and would play there etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

It is a bit far from college but you would get business from the student villages near it. We would definately have made some trips from college court to it. It'd be a good way to spend a few hours during the weekend. You would also get business from others living in the area. I'm asuming that it's not just students allowed in. As it's the only place around that would offer snooker I would imagine that people would come from all over castletroy to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd go with 50c and €4 though. And maybe locate it somewhere on Plassey Park Road or near Superquinn for more centrality. Students have the SU, you need to exploit the indigenous market.

BTW that shop closed due to mismanagement rather than any physical damage to the building, but that's beside the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭McGetty

Well, I don't play pool/snooker but aren't there already a good few tables in the SU common room? That stays open pretty late so you'd have to deal with that, although I've no idea if they're free or how busy they are.

• Advertisement

I know all about the competition in the area, its not solely targeted for students though. They would obviously be a huge potential target market, but not the only people we are vying to attract.

Regular tournaments etc would be held, and maybe some top attractions, such as the Davis vs Taylor exhibition match that was held in the South Court could be held there...thats the type of publicity and attractions that we are aiming for.

I had thought of locating in Plassey Park, and its still under consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

The snooker would definitely be interesting alright. Personally I'd still just go to the SU for pool anytime, that's open until eleven and usually fairly quiet in the evenings. One of the student villages down there (Brookfield I think) has a games room with two pool tables, had a few mates who lived there last year, we used to go in and play every so often, never anyone in there, so obviously not too much demand.

Thanks for the honest response Spideog.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

Mossin wrote: »
    maybe some top attractions, such as the Davis vs Taylor exhibition match that was held in the South Court could be held there...thats the type of publicity and attractions that we are aiming for.

to be fair mossin, if you're holding something like this you'd need a much bigger venue just to pay for having the guys come over. no reason you can't promote it in conjunction with one of the hotels though, like the one that used to be called the hilton for instance.

is this for real or just a project??

Its currently just a project, but if it turns out to be feasible, and by that I mean that I dont manipulate results to make it so, then I will be seriously considering starting this venture.

As for exhibition matches, yeah it would be a good idea to hold them elsewhere, but they need to be associated with our club/hall...That'd be the ultimate though...

Currently I need to know would you use it if it was open?
    Do you think it is a good idea?
    What else would you include to make it more interesting?

• Advertisement

Its currently just a project, but if it turns out to be feasible, and by that I mean that I dont manipulate results to make it so, then I will be seriously considering starting this venture.

If it turns out that you start this I want 20% or I'm not giving you any more ideas. In writing any time that your ready ;):p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Is 6 euro an hour for snooker not a bit steep. It kinda goes over the psycological 5 euro barrier.

Peteee wrote: »
    Is 6 euro an hour for pool not a bit steep. It kinda goes over the psycological 5 euro barrier.

It's €6 an hour for snooker, its €1 a game for pool.
    It'd be to cover the rising costs of electricity. Snooker tables require different lights than pool tables. We are considering €5 an hour for snooker.

This is why I want ideas bashed around in here.

@ the don...unless you are willing to throw 20% equity into this business, then you are not getting anything :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Is 6 euro an hour for pool not a bit steep. It kinda goes over the psycological 5 euro barrier.
    Not really given that people pay over €5 for a pint...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

What about running classes to teach people how to play better? Especially in snooker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

It was €1/game for pool and €6/hour for snooker.

I'm not sure why there should be such a disparity in the charging per game Dave? Perhaps because a game of snooker could last a few hours?

Overall I think it would be a good idea you just have to be sure of your figures etc. An alcohol free alternative for people who don't drink would be appreciated I'm sure.

Any idea what kind of rent you'd be spending on a unit down near Groody?

I know this is all hypothetical at the moment but meh something to think about.

Otacon wrote: »
    What about running classes to teach people how to play better? Especially in snooker?

We would be running classes in both snooker and pool.
    rmacm wrote: »
    It was €1/game for pool and €6/hour for snooker.

I'm not sure why there should be such a disparity in the charging per game Dave? Perhaps because a game of snooker could last a few hours?

Any idea what kind of rent you'd be spending on a unit down near Groody?

The disparity is because snooker games tend to last a lot longer than pool games. Especially if beginners are playing. We aim to cater for all skill levels, and like I said, we aim to put on classes to improve people's abilities.

The rent is an issue currently being investigated, as are alternative locations such as those suggested by Ninty9er in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ESB isn't the only ESB supplier (i.e there are suppliers whose costs are coming down)

€4 is enough for an hour I reckon...based on having 5 tables on the go from 12 - 12. I don't reckon there'd be too much demand before lunch.

BTW. I want in too. You'll need an accountant;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Right, there's an awful lot of people here that haven't a clue about billiards games. Pool 1 euro a game is perfectly reasonable, and quite cheap. You would of course be supplying the place with 'Supreme Pool Tables' 7ft x 4ft, this will cater for the serious pool players that will use your venue regularly. 6 euro an hour for snooker, extremely reasonable. Look around, 10 euro + is the going rate. I am lucky to have my own table of course! :D

As for running classes, not sure about that idea, if you wanted to get in touch with a coach and work out a percentage deal with him for tutoring on your tables. Classes wouldn't work imo.

I play competitive pool and will hopefully be travelling to Roscrea next month for the 2nd Event of the season. Any questions about pool and snooker feel free to ask :)

Yeah, I know ESB are not the only supplier, but its still an expense that isnt cheap.

€4 an hour....thats €1 for 15mins snooker...its an idea, but to make any sort of money from such a venture, it'd want to be a bit more.

We would be running a league format too in both pool and snooker, something like a 20 person league, with games each week, and a prize for the top 3.

Also regular tournaments would be held, for both members and non-members.

Inter-college games would be organised, as would Inter-firm games.

@Ninty, as I told the Don, if you want in, you have to provide some equity up front :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Inter-college games would be organised, as would Inter-firm games.

@Ninty, as I told the Don, if you want in, you have to provide some equity up front :pac:

Was going to suggest inter-company games myself, there's probably a big enough demand for this I know we do it in Ericsson every so often.

Would Lehman Brothers shares do for equity? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

maybe ask other snooker halls? there's one in galway, the eglinton, that springs to mind. they always seem to do a good trade. they've got a spacious place, equipment is in good nick and you can get a snack (bars really) as well as tea/mineral in there too, which is important. i like the companies thing - could work well in the summer when students are away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

rmacm wrote: »
    Would Lehman Brothers shares do for equity? :p

TOO SOON!!!11

Are there going to be tv's or some other form of entertainment for people who aren't playing or waiting for their game? Some players could bring friends along who aren't interested in pool or snooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

The snooker club in my hometown charges somewhere in the region of a tenner an hour so I definitely wouldn't consider 6 euro an hour too expensive provided the tables were of a decent enough quality.

Interesting idea, but personally i'd try to gear it more towards the snooker (probably more due to a preference for snooker on my part than anything else!)

with regards non-snooker/pool related entertainment, the auld arcade games and slot machines are tried and tested winners with the snooker-club going crowd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭idPlease

i think this is a great idea Mossin :D would it be open monday-sunday?
    I would pay a euro and a €5 for snooker no problem

idPlease wrote: »
    i think this is a great idea Mossin :D would it be open monday-sunday?
    I would pay a euro and a €5 for snooker no problem

Yeah, Monday through Sunday it would be open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭idPlease

I'm going to go as far and say this is a genius idea! would definately go there instead of town to play:cool:

idPlease wrote: »
    I'm going to go as far and say this is a genius idea! would definately go there instead of town to play:cool:

You can stop right there idPlease. Moissin's head is big enough already. :p

Someone else on his team probably came up with thes idea anyway.:D

• Advertisement

The Don wrote: »
    You can stop right there idPlease. Moissin's head is big enough already. :p

Someone else on his team probably came up with thes idea anyway.:D

Its Mossin btw!!

I thought of this idea last March actually, and I've been working away at it since then. But now the lecturer is making me do this as part of a group, but at least I have an accountant on board now, although his credentails have to be questioned :pac:

Advertisement