Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some help please guys

Options
  • 23-09-2008 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

this is a weird 1, ok i got my 1st rifle back in 2003 ( a .22 magnum ) after 1 year i changed it to a hornet so i got the license amended the hornet was never put into my name and each year until may 2007 the guard would just stamp it to amended it. in may 07 i got a remington .223 and the guard just amended the license again. i changed it for a .243 in october 07 again the guard just stamped it, all was great until the renewls came out and the guards contacted me i was told to bring the gun back to the gun dealer and reapply :mad: this gun cost me a lot of money could i be refused ?? the crime prevention officer came out to my house and was happy with the security, i cant belive that they can do this i had the gun for almost 1 year and now its back at the dealer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

That's bloody harsh

Legally I don't know where you stand. Be honest now when I ask, is there any thing you or any member of your family may have done that merits the gun being brought back. It will just help people answer the question more accurately I suppose.

I suppose technically you hold a license for the firearm (when its amended in the station) so you could ask why has the license been revoked?

Are you a member of a range or do you hunt deer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Sorry to hear that OP, there is a slip up somewhere along the line. Don't know the legalities of it though. Hopefully it will be sorted for you soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It sounds to me that the amendment never went through in pulse. The OP can answer that if he checked his renewal notice and remembers what firearm was registered on it.

There's a lot of stupid stuff going on at the moment and some of it might be to do with actually getting the paperwork up to date. There may be a great many licences out there with no backup paperwork, or amendments that never made it to the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

I think your local fo was over stepping the mark by amending it to a larger caliber. Most amendments are only for change of rifle but same caliber. if he's been amending it every year and now has registered it with pulse as a .243 it has to be a new application as it may show an upgrade from .22 magnum to a .243 and this would ring alarm bells in the park. I would say they just want it to be held by a rfd till the new application is dealt with and as long as you have suitable reason for a .243 there should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Vegeta wrote: »
    That's bloody harsh

Legally I don't know where you stand. Be honest now when I ask, is there any thing you or any member of your family may have done that merits the gun being brought back. It will just help people answer the question more accurately I suppose.

I suppose technically you hold a license for the firearm (when its amended in the station) so you could ask why has the license been revoked?

Are you a member of a range or do you hunt deer?

none of my family have ever been in trouble with the law, should i play along and if i get refused bring in nargc ? just to add i use it for fox shooting as the rounds are cheaper than a swift and tbh not much bigger, thats another thing the guard told me that there is no problem to amened a license from a .22 to a .22 but do they realize that there are 4 different .22s ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

pm. wrote: »
    the guard told me that there is no problem to amened a license from a .22 to a .22 but do they realize that there are 4 different .22s ?

In a short answer.....no,

But I know in KK the super was actually looking to see was it a swift or whatever

none of my family have ever been in trouble with the law, should i play along and if i get refused bring in nargc ? just to add i use it for fox shooting as the rounds are cheaper than a swift and tbh not much bigger, thats another thing the guard told me that there is no problem to amened a license from a .22 to a .22 but do they realize that there are 4 different .22s ?

We're all speculating here, why don't you just ask them what the problem is?

As I said earlier and as fish slapped says, it's probably them trying to get the paperwork to catch up with reality. There is a big diference between a .22 and a .243 and they may just be making sure that everything is in order. But there's no harm in asking.

rrpc wrote: »
    We're all speculating here, why don't you just ask them what the problem is?

As I said earlier and as fish slapped says, it's probably them trying to get the paperwork to catch up with reality. There is a big diference between a .22 and a .243 and they may just be making sure that everything is in order. But there's no harm in asking.

but there is not much in the difference a .22 swift and a .243 and thats my point do the the guards realize this ?

but there is not much in the difference a .22 swift and a .243 and thats my point do the the guards realize this ?

I thought you said you started with a .22 magnum and the upgrade to hornet never hit your licence (had to be amended every year) then you had a .223 and then the .243.

The possibility exists that nothing changed from the .22 magnum in the pulse records.

rrpc wrote: »
    I thought you said you started with a .22 magnum and the upgrade to hornet never hit your licence (had to be amended every year) then you had a .223 and then the .243.

The possibility exists that nothing changed from the .22 magnum in the pulse records.

yes i did, but the guards dont have a problem changing a .22 to a .22 swift and my point is that a .243 isnt much bigger than a swift, a swift is a high powered rifle and still a .22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

They would be awre that the .22 magnum is a rimfire and the .243 is centrefire at that to them is the big difference. I was turned down from changing a .22lr to .22 hornet as the hornet was centrefire . don't tar all gaurds with the ignorance brush. again we're only trying to shed some light on the situation and the best way around it is to ask the gardai.

yes i did, but the guards dont have a problem changing a .22 to a .22 swift and my point is that a .243 isnt much bigger than a swift, a swift is a high powered rifle and still a .22

But this has nothing to do with your situation, so it's completely irrelevant. You need to calm down and find out why they are doing this, though I suspect that they found a huge gap between what they thought you had and what you actually had.

As FS said, you've gone from a rimfire to a centre fire without any checks being made or even a proper application. The guys in your station probably thought they were doing you a favour, but the end result is that in the long run its come back to slap you all in the face and the situation has to be fixed.

Ask them about it, nicely. ;)

ok so i called to the local station yesterday and was told that " nothing has come back so give it another 3 weeks and then ill make a call " what do i do next lads go to nargc ?? or wait ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Contact the District office of An Garda Siochana for your area, this is the supers office, ask the clerk to look into your case, and to give you all the info she/he can then ask to meet the super at a time conveinent to himself, and have all your details ,ie copies of any licences you got stamped etc, as long as you dont have any bother with the law I cant see why you cant have your gun back fully licenced, just talking to the local garda or the fao is not enough.

I applied for a Hornet licence 3 weeks ago , it was granted but now its gone to the park for printing , was told I would have it next week, if I dont I will be on to the district office, then the park and then the minister of justice who lives 10 mile away from me.

Dont give up, be persistant and keep on there case.

Maca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

reckon you should look into getting a deer shooting licence sorted as you need one to have a 243 it may save you some time in your application but in saying that it I think it needed to be included with the PC20 from day one but having one will help your case

Got a call from the local station today to say my license has been granted just picked it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Excellent! All's well that ends well and all that...

Congrats and enjoy...............................still waiting on mine, getting pi$$£d off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Well ware ;)

macadam wrote: »
    Congrats and enjoy...............................still waiting on mine, getting pi$$£d off..

thanks guys :) the guard did tell me that they are swamped down with applications at headquarters he told me that they are only looking at the 1st week in October atm. when did you apply macadam ?

• Advertisement

Mid october, and was granted 25 oct, but my neigbour was granted his rifle licence 20 sep and still has not received it.

All seems a bit of a shambles especially as we were given permission to shoot foxes for a sheep farmer who started lambing two weeks ago, and his land is loaded with foxes.

Might try writing to santa!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

macadam wrote: »
    Mid october, and was granted 25 oct, but my neigbour was granted his rifle licence 20 sep and still has not received it.

All seems a bit of a shambles especially as we were given permission to shoot foxes for a sheep farmer who started lambing two weeks ago, and his land is loaded with foxes.

Might try writing to santa!
    ah did you get a letter saying that the license ws granted? should the license number be on that along with the serial no.?? shoul;d it not cover until the license is delivered?

Advertisement