Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai stop check on the n2 ashbourne bypass

Options
  • 23-09-2008 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Last weekend there was a gardai stop check on the n2 ashbourne bypass northbound. They were checking for tax and insurance I assume as thats where they were looking on the car.

This road is a dual carriageway with a speedlimit of 100km/h. There were no warning signs up before the stop check which I thought could have been dangerous and the gardai cars did not even have there lights flashing. Amateurs at best.
    Also it is the first time I have noticed a stop check on a 100km/h dual carriageway.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Last weekend there was a gardai stop check on the n2 ashbourne bypass northbound. They were checking for tax and insurance I assume as thats where they were looking on the car.

This road is a dual carriageway with a speedlimit of 100km/h. There were no warning signs up before the stop check which I thought could have been dangerous and the gardai cars did not even have there lights flashing. Amateurs at best.
    Also it is the first time I have noticed a stop check on a 100km/h dual carriageway.
    what section was the checkpoint? The majority of that road is 120km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They do similar checks too occasionally on the N3 which is mostly all 100 km/h - well except for the stretches in Meath where the local county council have gone mad putting up new (lower of course!) speed signs all over the place. The strech around Navan between the Meath Chronicle and the last turnoff before the railway tracks has varied between 50 & 60 km/h over the past 12-18 months that I'd imagine no-one knows what the limit actually is anymore! :rolleyes: [/mini-rant]

But anyway... usually no advance warning on the N3 either (unless you count oncoming drivers helpfully flashing their lights :D), and customs have taken to dipping trucks lately between Carnaross and Kells - also without any advance signage etc.

To their credit though, the last time I passed an actual checkpoint (as opposed to the regular squad car sitting in on the verge beside the nice wide, smooth, clear carriageway that is the N3 when you cross the Cavan border :rolleyes:) it was a drink-driving test on a Friday evening aroud 6ish. And even though the young Garda and myself both knew I was stone cold sober (and had a bit of a laugh about it while he ran through the mantra anyway), I was impressed with the professionalism and simple courtesy of the guy and think a lot of his colleagues could take lessons!

I'd much rather see them out doing that, than hiding on the aforementioned grass verges doing people for being a few km over a notional limit that seems to change with the wind lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

there was a few of them on the n2 and n3 from early last Saturday

two people were shot in blanch in seperate gang related incidents and they were searching for them everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Yup it's a 120Kmph road - a great decision by those involved

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres regularly checkpoints at a coupel of spots on the Tallaght bypass (dual carriageway) . Theres never any issue with these and no problems with people not seeing them,

I dunno, maybe people just pay more attention to whats goign on up here.

BTW. Has there been may crashes caused by checkpoints?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

LFCFan wrote:
    egan007 wrote: »
    Yup it's a 120Kmph road - a great decision by those involved
    Only between Finglas and Ashbourne, then it reverts to the standard 100 Km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

After your first three accidents you learn to expect the unexpected and meeting a sudden checkpoint is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

LFCFan wrote: »
    I stand corrected, it was the 120km/h section just before the turnoff for the airport northbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Was driving on country roads one day and came around a very sharp corner at about 60km/h (speed limit was 80km/h) only to find a car stopped as there was a car crash up ahead and the Guards had traffic stopped. Although I was a fair bit under the speed limit the car in front was right on the bend and I came so close to going into him that you couldn't fit a hair between the two cars. I got out to make sure I hadn't actually tipped him and the Guard started giving out to me. I politely pointed out that they were stopping people right on a bend with no warning signs in advance and that I had no way of knowing that there would be a car stopped right around the corner. I told him I dread to think what would have happened if I had been going to speed limit. He just told me to carry on and walked away.

Half an hour later my Mum was driving the same road. She drives a lot faster than me but I had warned her in advance. Good thing too as there were still no signs up and the car behind her almost went into the back of her as a result.

It was such a stupid set up and could have been easily fixed by moving the Guards to the straight stretch 50 metres before the bend, or having some sort of warning sign on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

ergonomics wrote: »
    Was driving on country roads one day and came around a very sharp corner at about 60km/h (speed limit was 80km/h) only to find a car stopped as there was a car crash up ahead and the Guards had traffic stopped. Although I was a fair bit under the speed limit the car in front was right on the bend and I came so close to going into him that you couldn't fit a hair between the two cars. I got out to make sure I hadn't actually tipped him and the Guard started giving out to me. I politely pointed out that they were stopping people right on a bend with no warning signs in advance and that I had no way of knowing that there would be a car stopped right around the corner. I told him I dread to think what would have happened if I had been going to speed limit. He just told me to carry on and walked away.

Half an hour later my Mum was driving the same road. She drives a lot faster than me but I had warned her in advance. Good thing too as there were still no signs up and the car behind her almost went into the back of her as a result.

It was such a stupid set up and could have been easily fixed by moving the Guards to the straight stretch 50 metres before the bend, or having some sort of warning sign on the road.

As I said previously , they are amateurs at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I take your point about the thoughtless positioning of the stop. However, regardless of the posted speed limit, people should be driving at a speed whereby they can stop within the distance they can see to be clear. Go round very sharp corners at 60kph and there are any number of hazards that might catch you out. I came pretty close in a similar situation recently and I wouldn't blame anybody but myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Guardai just n0bs of the highest order.

a few months ago outside foynes I was behind a van doing about 5mph, and we left the town and he was still doing this speed, and then all of a sudden he stops in the middle of the road.

apparently there was a check point ahead, on the bend of the road.

I pulled over to the right after the van stalled in the middle of the road to see what was going on and a n0b guarda appears and waves me to the hard shoulder and gives me a fine for dangerous driving.

how can these clowns put up check points on roads with a 120/km limits and/or on bends of roads. ? have they brains at all?

total n0bs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Was driving on country roads one day and came around a very sharp corner at about 60km/h (speed limit was 80km/h)

What had the speed limit to do with it? You should only have travelled at a safe speed whatever the speed limit is. A speed limit does not imply that it is safe to travel at that speed. Yes the Guards should have put a warning around the corner, but it does not excuse speeding through the bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Was driving on country roads one day and came around a very sharp corner at about 60km/h (speed limit was 80km/h) only to find a car stopped as there was a car crash up ahead and the Guards had traffic stopped. Although I was a fair bit under the speed limit the car in front was right on the bend and I came so close to going into him that you couldn't fit a hair between the two cars. I got out to make sure I hadn't actually tipped him and the Guard started giving out to me. I politely pointed out that they were stopping people right on a bend with no warning signs in advance and that I had no way of knowing that there would be a car stopped right around the corner. I told him I dread to think what would have happened if I had been going to speed limit.
    Would you do 80km/h over a cliff if the sign said you could? The Garda should have charged you with dangerous driving, TBH.

I take your point about the thoughtless positioning of the stop. However, regardless of the posted speed limit, people should be driving at a speed whereby they can stop within the distance they can see to be clear. Go round very sharp corners at 60kph and there are any number of hazards that might catch you out. I came pretty close in a similar situation recently and I wouldn't blame anybody but myself.
    ardmacha wrote: »
    What had the speed limit to do with it? You should only have travelled at a safe speed whatever the speed limit is. A speed limit does not imply that it is safe to travel at that speed. Yes the Guards should have put a warning around the corner, but it does not excuse speeding through the bend.
    Anan1 wrote: »
    Would you do 80km/h over a cliff if the sign said you could? The Garda should have charged you with dangerous driving, TBH.

Woah! Calm down!

Think for two seconds would ye? I was behind a car. I was behind it enough that when it went round the bend I didn't see it, I didn't see it stop, it disappeared from my sight. Why do you think that was? Was it because I was tailgating or driving too close? No! It was because I was keeping a safe distance. I was in the process of slowing down as just past the corner is a level crossing. I don't keep an exact record of what speed I was going and to be perfectly honest I was probably going under 60km/h as I was intending to get my speed down before the level crossing and keep it down. I just know that on average the bends on the road require you to slow down to about 60km/h to be safe. Most drivers continue at 80, I prefer to brake and take it slowly. (Just out of interest, next time you're all driving on country roads watch what speed you go around bends. Tell me honestly what speed you go. I doubt it's anything less that 55km/h) I had no idea that there would be a car stopped smack on the bend but in future, just to keep all of you happy, I will go around every bend very very slowly just in case there is a crash/car stopped around the bend. But don't get annoyed if you're behind me, I'm just being safe.

Just for the record, the guard gave out to me for not seeing the car. He never once mentioned driving too fast/too near the other car. Just said something along the lines of 'Did you not see the car in front of you was stopped?!' to which I replied 'No, because he had gone around the bend when he stopped and I was too far back to see that'. The driver in front also verified that I was a bit behind him and agreed with me that the Guards were in a terrible place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Obviously some people don't travel on back roads very much, because if they did, they would know that to make progress you have to maintain a reasonable speed despite not being able to see around every bend. If everybody approached every bend on minor roads at a speed that would enable them to stop immediately should there be an unforeseen obstacle just around the bend / corner, it would be quicker to walk. Maybe we should bring back the flag man!!!

Gardai management of incidents on our roads, needs to be improved, afterall if the contractors who cut the hedgerows all around the country can provide adequate notice of potential hazzards ahead, using just two signs, surely the gardai can at least match them, given the resources they have. Just take a look in any garda station yard at the amount of signage they have lying around.

Can you justify the above statement, afterall the OP stated she was travelling below the speed limit, and managed to stop without causing any further incident, even if it was close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I agree with the comments on here. I have seen a checkpoint conducted on the N3 at 5.30am, pitch dark with two banners in the middle of the road with no blue lights on the car. Absolute madness and even though they were wearing their hi-viz jackets ye still couldn't see them and I told them so.

In fairness ye don't see that happening often or at least I don't. Having said that human intellect is only surpassed by human stupidity.

Obviously some people don't travel on back roads very much, because if they did, they would know that to make progress you have to maintain a reasonable speed despite not being able to see around every bend.

Are you for real, no wonder so many people are killed on the roads. It is a fundamental principle of driving that you travel at a speed that allows you stop within the distance you can see. You can make a case for higher speed on modern motorways designed with long sightlines, but on a twisty road you cannot maintain a high speed. Some people seem to think that the speed limit or the speed that the car stays on the road is the target. This is dangerous driving if they cannot stop safely in the distance they can see.
    after all the OP stated he was travelling below the speed limit,

the speed limit has nothing to do with it, you can't career around bends just because you are below the speed limit just as you cannot drive in fog or ice at the speed limit.

Are you for real, no wonder so many people are killed on the roads. It is a fundamental principle of driving that you travel at a speed that allows you stop within the distance you can see. You can make a case for higher speed on modern motorways designed with long sightlines, but on a twisty road you cannot maintain a high speed. Some people seem to think that the speed limit or the speed that the car stays on the road is the target. This is dangerous driving if they cannot stop safely in the distance they can see.

the speed limit has nothing to do with it, you can't career around bends just because you are below the speed limit just as you cannot drive in fog or ice at the speed limit.

In theory your fundamental principle is correct, however in the real world it is just not practical, in order to travel around any blind bend / corner as you suggest, you would need to drive up to and stop or slow to about 5mph / 8kph, and crawl around each and every bend. Where would that get us, numerous rear end shunts not to mention the traffic jams.

Two things that are vital to travelling on minor roads, are to expect the unexpected, and be especially observant for potential hazzards. I have not mentioned speeding or careering around bends as neither did the OP, she was below the posted speed limit, and therefore was not speeding and from her post was driving in a responsible manner.

• Advertisement

TheNog wrote: »
    I agree with the comments on here. I have seen a checkpoint conducted on the N3 at 5.30am, pitch dark with two banners in the middle of the road with no blue lights on the car. Absolute madness and even though they were wearing their hi-viz jackets ye still couldn't see them and I told them so.

Are there no Health and Safety guidelines for the setting up of checkpoints etc. May be something you's need to take up with the GRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

There was a complaint to the HSA about a guard who had stopped a car at night and was at the roadside without his hi-viz on. Recent direction from Dublin directing all guards to wear hi-viz all the times while in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

It is a fundamental principle of driving that you travel at a speed that allows you stop within the distance you can see.

It's actually worse than that if you consider risks from oncoming traffic. If two cars traveling towards each other follow the 'speed that allows you stop within the distance you can see to be clear' rule then in tight situations they will both need the same physical road space in which to stop, with potentially disastrous consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Here Here!!

I commute 37 miles each way on back roads from outside Mallow to Bandon. It takes about 55min. I'm always prepared to stop when I come to a blind bend. You just don't know what will be around it! Tractors, school buses, trucks, hedge-cutter, horses, dogs, people walking, rock in road etc. etc.
    You might get away with going faster for a while but it's just a game of chance,
    one day you are going to come across something that you can't avoid!

If you haven't run completely out of luck you will be able to walk away with only a bent car, but if you have been pushing your luck you will be just a entry here :
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/maintopics/index.aspx?c=Road+deaths&jp=mhql

I'm willing to get up a few minutes early to arrive safe and in one piece!

Paul

busman wrote: »
    I'm always prepared to stop when I come to a blind bend.

Your always prepared to stop when you come to a blind bend, but what speed are you travelling at.
    busman wrote: »
    You just don't know what will be around it! Tractors, school buses, trucks, hedge-cutter, horses, dogs, people walking, rock in road etc. etc.

Expecting the unexpected.

The way ardmacha puts it, you would think I suggested driving as hard as possible, with a hair on fire, born to die attitude. I didn't, I'm just trying to point out the difference between theory and practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mick-skyline

you pair are pure saints arent you.

going with those comments you should be charged with dangerous driving, driving too slow and being a hazard to other road users, thats possible too, and with having to drive at a safe speed to which you can stop within your visual distance does that mean because my car will out break most of yours i can drive faster i think not, get off your fookin high horses will ya and give the lad one of your medals, he did drive at a safe distance, he was below the speed limit and was able to stop his car in the distance required it still doesnt mean the situation was best suited, and yes the flagman shoud be returned as its alot of inconsiderate drivers that cause crashes and what not then the garda turn up and make things worse....(nobody sit in traffic around xmas no, the free flow crap that doesnt work??)

now onto topic, checkpoints should be random but also visable, adn on roads where there is space to pull cars in when needs be, ie roads with a lay-by or hard shoulder, once the car is there the lights should be on it, no need for the extra lights that have been put out lately but it does help to have more. see them everywhere all the time, i woldnt be surprised if they put one on the m50 to tell the truth.

For what it is worth I agree that the OP was not speeding as he was able to stop safely. I did contest the mention of the speed limit as the original post suggested that driving at less than the speed limit automatically meant it was safe. On this forum it is often stated that people should drive at the speed limit and you get crazy suggestions like "people driving at less than the speed limit should get points". Other than on a newly built road the speed limit is not even an approximate indication of a precise safe speed, it is only a legal maximum.

Garda checkpoints should be clearly visible, but they should be able to have checkpoints on dual carriageways and all types of road they just need to deploy additional warning lights etc.

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Can you justify the above statement, afterall the OP stated she was travelling below the speed limit, and managed to stop without causing any further incident, even if it was close.
    Sure. The OP was driving far too fast for the bend. The speed limit is irrelevant.

Sure. The OP was driving far too fast for the bend. The speed limit is irrelevant.

Were you there? Were you in the car with me? Do you know the exact geography of the bend? Do you know the EXACT speed I was driving? Do you know exactly how the situation occured? No, no, no, no, and no. So you can't back up that statement. You're just going on what you assume. As I said in my reply at the top of this page the guard never gave out to me for speeding or for driving too fast, just for not seeing the car.

• Advertisement

Were you there? Were you in the car with me? Do you know the exact geography of the bend? Do you know the EXACT speed I was driving? Do you know exactly how the situation occured? No, no, no, no, and no. So you can't back up that statement. You're just going on what you assume. As I said in my reply at the top of this page the guard never gave out to me for speeding or for driving too fast, just for not seeing the car.
    I'm assuming nothing. You told us that you stopped a hair's breath from the other car. This happened because you were driving too fast for the bend.

Advertisement