Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai stop check on the n2 ashbourne bypass

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Anan1 wrote: »
    Sure. The OP was driving far too fast for the bend. The speed limit is irrelevant.

Typical type of answer I've come to expect from you. Must be wonderful to be a perfect driver in an unperfect world.

If speed limits are irrelevant, why are they there in the first place and why is there so much emphasis put on enforcing them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the check was because of the All Ireland Final. Everytime there is a big sporting event, the guards are on the roads that will be used most doing checkpoints.

i hit a check point at 10pm last at dunsink in finglas, 7 guards standing the road having a conversation for about 3/4 mins while the line of cars kept building up.

i dont know why you need 2 squad cars, one unmarked and about 10 police people for one check point.

every tuesday/wednesday night, its the same thing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

irishbird wrote: »
    the check was because of the All Ireland Final. Everytime there is a big sporting event, the guards are on the roads that will be used most doing checkpoints.

Better to have checkpoints with a high level of traffic going through. Checks for tax, insurance and especially drink driving.
    i dont know why you need 2 squad cars, one unmarked and about 10 police people for one check point.

every tuesday/wednesday night, its the same thing :confused:

2 marked cars for hi-viz and 1 of them as a chase car if anyone turned around. regularly happens.

1 unmarked suggests the checkpoint could have been an armed checkpoint. If not armed then the unmarked is being used by uniform gardai.

10 gardai = for vehicles that would need to be pulled over if detection made or searches. This amount of Gardai suggests the road has or sometimes has high level of traffic.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

TheNog wrote: »
    10 gardai = for vehicles that would need to be pulled over if detection made or searches. This amount of Gardai suggests the road has or sometimes has high level of traffic.

thanks for that

but it is a quiet little back road, every tuesday or wednesday night between 9.30pm and 10.30pm, its the same thing, the unmarked parks outside my house and the others are down the road a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

I was stopped on the M50, after a bend up near the Sandyford exit. Now, on a bend, with a 100 km limit, I dunno, but my opinion is, that's more dangerous than most other motoring offences! I wrote of the RSA and Dept of Transport, the basic jist of the replies were the Garda can stop Who they want, when they want, wherever they want. Including it seem, LIVE MOTORWAYS where it's illegal to stop anyway! This was part of the reply from DoT.
    The vehicles used by Gardaí, when acting in the course of their duties, are not subject to the road traffic regulations.......

.....The Department of Transport has no role in relation to Garda operational matters or the practice of setting up checkpoints on motorways or other roads but it seems that the Gardai most likely chose that section to carry out their checkpoint due to the fact that a lower maximum speed limit applies and to do so at that location would be the same for passing traffic as to carry out such checks at any location on a national road where a maximum 100km/h limit applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

thanks for that

but it is a quiet little back road, every tuesday or wednesday night between 9.30pm and 10.30pm, its the same thing, the unmarked parks outside my house and the others are down the road a bit

the unmarked is definitely for cars that turn away or turn off the road suddenly but could still have armed gardai inside.
    LarWright wrote: »
    I was stopped on the M50, after a bend up near the Sandyford exit. Now, on a bend, with a 100 km limit, I dunno, but my opinion is, that's more dangerous than most other motoring offences! I wrote of the RSA and Dept of Transport, the basic jist of the replies were the Garda can stop Who they want, when they want, wherever they want. Including it seem, LIVE MOTORWAYS where it's illegal to stop anyway! This was part of the reply from DoT.

Best practice is not to conduct a checkpoint near a bend in the road for obvious reasons but sometimes traffic does back up to that or near a bend in the road. It would be highly unusual for gardai to allow traffic to build up this way but it can happen if a large amount of traffic arrives at the checkpoint at once.

Checkpoints are also done on Motorways too but would require alot of manpower and cars with plenty of lights. There is no way anyone should do a checkpoint with only one car and two or three Gardai. Too dangerous for everyone involved.

If you feel that your complaint is valid write to Garda Headquarters instead of the RSA or DoT. As outlined in the letter they have nothing to do Garda operational matters. Would do no harm to point out potential problems or dangers.

Advertisement