Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to wire up under-cabinet T4 kitchen striplights

• 23-09-2008 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello

I want to connect up two under cabinet T4 kitchen striplights (from Robus, LSTR20W). Each striplight will be hardwired to its own wire thats already in place coming out of the kitchen wall. Each striplight just has a brown and blue, live and neutral wire. I've attached a few photos of the wiring that is in place at the walls.

Would you ever tell me how I connect each striplight to the wall wiring? Like what colours to what colours and should I use a particular connector to connect the wires safely together? The wiring coming out of the wall in pic3 is different from that in pic2. Which wires should I use??

Thank you very much.

Plica

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd use a coffin obo box for the connections if i was you. Are there any switches left out for these lights , we need to know that before we can take this further as you may need to add one, hopefully the switches are fitted as this will make things easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

looks like the twin and earth is looped to the other obos and the pvc/pvc might be supply which hopefully is comming from a switch.

on the subject of the robus strips its a good choice because in my experience each manufactuer uses diferant lenght t4 tubes which are individual to their fitting. the robus is one of the most popular but i would stiil get my hands on a few spare tubes. also a bit of 10x8 mini trunking to hide the cables might be a bit neater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 plica06

Cheers for the replies Gents.

I've attached a few more photos showing the kitchen with wires for the striplights and the light switches in place. In the photos from my original post above, I'd say the grey cable on the right in pic 3, is the other end of the cable in pic 2 - good thinking northdublin!

Then the other two grey cables in pic 3 probably go to the power supply and the light switches. Tho I'm not sure, I haven't tried anything yet in case I damage something or myself!

There's a plastic thing in the switch in Pic 8 being used to tie up what I suppose are earth wires? Can they be used to connect the striplight wires to the wires at the walls? Unless twisting them together and covering with masking tape is enough?

Thanks again,

Plica

to me it looks like the switch on the tiled wall is the one for the cabenit lights. it has switch wire(brown/brown) which must be connected elsewhere to the two single cables in pic 3. what you need to do is put a phase tester on the live which is the brown pvc with earth and flip the switch to see if it becomes live, if it doesnt then try the same with the double switch on the wall, also test for a live at the switch to begin with, the sparks may not have wired it in at the board, but the fact they are in obo boxes probably means he/she did.
    also have a peek on top of the presses incase there are more obos for top of cabinet lighting or any other junction, in perticular over the switch on the tiled wall to the right of the extractor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 plica06

What's the best/safest way to connect the brown and blue wires from the striplight to the brown and blue wires at the wall?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

usually electricians would use connector strips/blocks, in this case 15amp connectors would do the job and as stoner said the connection made inside a coffin box which is the same as what is there only half the size. providing you have the lid for the obo boxes that are there allready there would be no reason not to use them other then aesthetic reasons

Advertisement