Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyesores !

Options
  • 23-09-2008 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

So what in the city and surrounds do believe to be an Eyesore? For me its got to be the "Burren Mount" in Salthill next to Bailey Point, what a godawful place, should be knocked immediately methinks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

second you on bailey point. like ceaucescu's palace in bucharest. other than that all of the left side of merchant's road as you come from the house hotel. and that building on the corner of the canal at wolfetone bridge, across from raven terrace - the old atlanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Well, I'm not sure I was terribly fond of the giant pile of scrap metal that I used to look out on when I lived on the docks. Tho in all fairness, it was there before the apartment buildings were.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Pretty much every development that festoons the Western Distributor Road. The worst kind of cookie cutter developments with little thought or planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

For a moment I thought this thread was about me....thankfully not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Portmore at the Spanish Arch
    The height of new developments on Lough Atalia road

Chewing gum on the streets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The Imperial hotel on eyre square

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Redhairedguy
    only joking, mucho <3 for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

GMIT will look dated in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The Bal in Salthill stands out like a sore thumb from the local architecture. Plus the whole area of shopping centres around the Headford road there is awful, half of them should be knocked. The hordes of crusties in town don't do much for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

"Burren Mount"

The "Burren Mount"... an eyesore!! ...many's the good flaking match took place there...Ahhh them were the days, a few pints..a few slaps..and off to Del Rio's for chips...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The Burren Mount gets my vote too. It looks like it could be the setting for the next Saw film! I don't think those manky curtains have ever been changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 13

heh, nobody mentioned eyre square yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Sasha on Shop Street is not in keeping with the rest of the street.

What must the foreign tourists think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

ErnieBert wrote: »

What must the foreign tourists think?

In fact a lot of foreign visitors I've spoken to really like the fact that the centre of Galway is largely free of the homogenisation of town centres that is common across the UK and Ireland. Usually in a place the size of Galway the city centre is indistinguishable from the next town over. We have a few of the big names on Shop St. like McD's, Carphone Warehouse, Foot Locker, Boots etc but there are a good number of local businesses too, maybe more than most towns of a similar size.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Housing estates where there appear to have been about three designs used to build hundreds of houses, with precious little attention being paid to landscaping etc, and big green areas out in the middle of roads with no shrubs and totally unsuitable for kids to play on due to the traffic.

Doughiska and Knocknacarra spring to mind. As do bits of Merlin Park and some suburbs along Headford Rd (whose names I can't spell!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Yea Doughiska is a disaster but I think that they have made a complete mess of Barna with the new housing estates - no town planning whatsoever:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

i have to say those houses along the canal across for the cop shop are just feckin terrible and the one at the start of Nuns island......nah actually jus jealous wud love to live there

St. Marys college sittin up there on a hill lookin down on the town all high an mighty that for sure is my pick looks like a dentention center/ asylum

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Steyr wrote: »
    So what in the city and surrounds do believe to be an Eyesore? For me its got to be the "Burren Mount" in Salthill next to Bailey Point, what a godawful place, should be knocked immediately methinks.

Jaysus, where to start... the whole of the docks, that monsterousity at the spanish arch (the one with apartments and restaurants (not the museum)...that prison like building on Headford rd that houses Argos...that sh!tty apartment complex they built at wolfetone bridge between dominic st and the arch, absolutely appauling...I could go on and on and on...

axiom32 wrote: »
    St. Marys college sittin up there on a hill lookin down on the town all high an mighty that for sure is my pick looks like a dentention center/ asylum

huh?? That was designed by a famous architect of the time (name escapes me)...fine looking building in my opinion. Perhaps the later additions are brutal but the original building is fine architecture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Bar No. 8 looks skanky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    that sh!tty apartment complex they built at wolfetone bridge between dominic st and the arch, absolutely appauling

Actually wudnt mind an apartment there myself looking out, now if it was angled better you would get to see the Claddagh/Spanish Arch better, they seem to be looking at the fire station.

cornbb wrote: »
    In fact a lot of foreign visitors I've spoken to really like the fact that the centre of Galway is largely free of the homogenisation of town centres that is common across the UK and Ireland. Usually in a place the size of Galway the city centre is indistinguishable from the next town over. We have a few of the big names on Shop St. like McD's, Carphone Warehouse, Foot Locker, Boots etc but there are a good number of local businesses too, maybe more than most towns of a similar size.

Going off on a tangent but it's probably the only good thing that the city council planning dept have enacted, any shops along the city centre streets have a certain criteria to meet appearance-wise. Even though its a disgusting hole, Mcdonald's exterior doesn't look as bad as it does in other cities/towns..don't know how sasha got away with it right enough

Steyr wrote: »
    Actually wudnt mind an apartment there myself looking out, now if it was angled better you would get to see the Claddagh/Spanish Arch better, they seem to be looking at the fire station.

I'm sure they're fine apartments but the exterior looks like they started off with a good idea and then decided to put in the cheapest and most plastic-looking fittings, windows and cladding they could find. If it wasn't in such a prominent place it wouldn't be so bad but it's right beside the Fisheries tower (which is a wee gem) and the river flowing towards the arch and claddagh. for where it is, it looks vulgar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

The Stage Door sticks out like a sore thumb in Woodquay.

A lot of the Hospital Buildings are EyeSores. Have you seen Pedriatics, Ambulance Service & Nursing/Library Buildings. There like something you use as a set for the next sequel to Hostel.

sgthighway wrote: »

A lot of the Hospital Buildings are EyeSores. Have you seen Pedriatics, Ambulance Service & Nursing/Library Buildings. There like something you use as a set for the next sequel to Hostel.

Do you mean the Nursing quarters at UCHG? (closest to the traffic lights). Probably one of the best examples of art deco architecture in the whole county. Fine building which would be restored to its original glory if they could afford to give it a lick of paint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

huh?? That was designed by a famous architect of the time (name escapes me)...fine looking building in my opinion. Perhaps the later additions are brutal but the original building is fine architecture

i know its ur opinion and thats fair but cud u point out why this building wud be noted for its architecture cos it seriously jus looks like a box (original build) maybe its the stonework used that does it for ya ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

The Headford Road must be the most soulless craphole in any town in this fair state of ours and is enhanced no end by soulless creatures worshipping at their chosen consumer palace of pleasure. Eyesores all round.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Do you mean the Nursing quarters at UCHG? (closest to the traffic lights). Probably one of the best examples of art deco architecture in the whole county. Fine building which would be restored to its original glory if they could afford to give it a lick of paint

I agree, it does need some tidying up to do it justice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Also Una Taafes fomer residence on Shop St, all painted gloomy grey, wont someone please sort that out. Another fine collection of eyesores are the rundown houses just slightly up the hill behind the billboard across from the G hotel, i think there are 3 of them.

• Advertisement

Along Bohermore across from the cemetary is looking bad these days, many of the houses are boarded up awaiting re-development.

Advertisement