Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyesores !

Options
2»

Comments

Pretty the whole of Barna is an eye sore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Steyr wrote: »
    Actually wudnt mind an apartment there myself looking out, now if it was angled better you would get to see the Claddagh/Spanish Arch better, they seem to be looking at the fire station.

I used to live in the top floor of that building, not the one with the circular part at the corner but the one next to it on the left (Looking straight at Ladbrokes), sweet apartment, really nice inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

axiom32 wrote: »
    i know its ur opinion and thats fair but cud u point out why this building wud be noted for its architecture cos it seriously jus looks like a box (original build) maybe its the stonework used that does it for ya ....

Well in fairness, it's not just my opinion. Its a famous building in architecture circles due to the style of architecture that it employed at the time (1910) at least this is what a local architect told me and yes, the stone has a big part to play in that. A similar one is in Ballinasloe (as far as I know, might be wrong). If you think that building is an eyesore you must have very sore eyes walking around the city! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

A similar one is in Ballinasloe (as far as I know, might be wrong)

maybe u are but cud it be the asylum st Brigits, which has the same unwelcoming characteristics as St. Marys and is what i was tryin to point out in the first place that St. Marys isn't a building i wish to cast my eye on therefore an eyesore to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

They need to move those oil tanks in the middle of the docks.... hopefully very soon.
    Also doughiska looks like its just come out of a war.

• Advertisement

axiom32 wrote: »
    A similar one is in Ballinasloe (as far as I know, might be wrong)

maybe u are but cud it be the asylum st Brigits, which has the same unwelcoming characteristics as St. Marys and is what i was tryin to point out in the first place that St. Marys isn't a building i wish to cast my eye on therefore an eyesore to me.

'Unwelcoming characteristics'? What exactly are 'welcoming characteristics'? If you see old institutions and the like as an eyesore maybe thats saying something about yourself rather than the actual building itself. Victorian architecture is filled with institutions, be it mental, academic, etc. and are some of the finest examples of that type of architecture. If you don't like them fair enough but 'eyesores' they are not

Big, rotten oil tanks in a city centre...now that's an eyesore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 WhOtHenNow

hal9000 wrote: »
    Also doughiska looks like its just come out of a war.

Ha ha,

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

That old petrol station across from argos, I know its surrounded by boarding but its an awful waste of space. The butchers beside roisins looks pants, as does stranos, actually most of that street is an eyesore!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Someone mentioned looking out at the firestation, the firestation itself is an eyesore. Argos building is awful. Headford Rd shopping centre is pretty bad. Docks area, taffes shop, eyre square is a travesity too - the state its gotten into already.

Oh and the new briarhill sc - what a dreadful, dull building. No consistent planning. For example now that the clayton hotel was in, the new sc should have had to look in keeping with what was the most prominent building in the area. Not identical, vareity and all that, but it shouldnt look like a turd that rose from the ground compared to it... Countless examples in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, the Cathedral. Hideous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

toiletduck wrote: »

Well, maybe you'd prefer that the old prison was still there? ;)

It was built by Bishop Michael Browne in the 1960's as a monument to God himself. One of the amusing things is, if you look at it from the Salmon Weir Bridge, there are 2 double doors on the right hand side of the building about 20 feet up. Did he think he was going to be addressing the crowds like the Pope? :)

Its definately not hideous imo but much better than what was there before!!

Personally, I wouldn't call this an eyesore...

cathedral.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

:eek: uve so crossed the line now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Ha, seems have! Just compared to other prominent churches in the country, I think it looks awful.

serfboard wrote: »
    Well, maybe you'd prefer that the old prison was still there? ;)

Only if they were still executing people in the carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

cornbb wrote: »
    In fact a lot of foreign visitors I've spoken to really like the fact that the centre of Galway is largely free of the homogenisation of town centres that is common across the UK and Ireland. Usually in a place the size of Galway the city centre is indistinguishable from the next town over. We have a few of the big names on Shop St. like McD's, Carphone Warehouse, Foot Locker, Boots etc but there are a good number of local businesses too, maybe more than most towns of a similar size.

Yep, I really like the fact that Shop St isn't yet over-run with UK chain stores.
    Unfortunately, there's plenty of whinging shopaholics out there who give out that they have to travel to shop at said chains & slowly but surely they're starting to appear.

Barna is just hideous, people who've lived there over 5 years must be distraught at what's happened to their village.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jpt77

eh...warty ward...followed closely by an cearnog nua in Moycullen....

I lived in Barna some 11 years and moved out around when all the construction began. My house was right beside the Twelve Pins (the old one). About a year ago myself and my mother drove through this area and was horrified by what has taken place. Where our house used to be is now a housing estate. Fields I used to play in now are housing estates. Hell, pretty much all of what I came to know during my childhood is gone to be replaced by some repetitive and somewhat ugly housing estate.

And the new Pins. Or Twelve. Whatever. That's just an eyesore. It completely sticks out like a sore thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

For me its got to be the "Burren Mount" in Salthill next to Bailey Point, what a godawful place, should be knocked immediately methinks.

Funny. I stopped on prom yesterday and viewed that place. In my opinion that facade and remaining rooms should be under a preservation order. Take a look up at the rooms. Classic 70's stuff with built in radios on walls. Pure time-warp.

Architectually and internal decor wise I doubt there is anywhere in western Europe that a building and rooms like that has skipped an era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Along Bohermore across from the cemetary is looking bad these days, many of the houses are boarded up awaiting re-development.

What's the bets that whatever new development is put up in their place eventually is a worse eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Half of Dominick Street is run down could use a lick of paint. Una Taafes is a definite eye sore as well.

• Advertisement

Alessandra wrote: »
    Half of Dominick Street is run down could use a lick of paint. Una Taafes is a definite eye sore as well.

Oh my God yer going straight to Hell for saying that! :D Seriously though, there are still some old school local shops on dominick st that should never be touched...Its a miracle they're still there. I'd be devestated to see some of em go. Subway should never have been allowed in there

If people want retail outlets, the council should try and organise some factory outlet stores on the outskirts of the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You know that large yellow structure in the Uni? Near the canteen? What the **** is that supposed to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

You know that large yellow structure in the Uni? Near the canteen? What the **** is that supposed to be?

Heard it affectionately referred to as 'Archimedes balls'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Dfens wrote: »
    Heard it affectionately referred to as 'Archimedes balls'

Of course...

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Oh my God yer going straight to Hell for saying that! :D Seriously though, there are still some old school local shops on dominick st that should never be touched...Its a miracle they're still there. I'd be devestated to see some of em go. Subway should never have been allowed in there

Oh don't get me wrong I love that area of the city, my adopted home. I just think it could do with some brightening up!
    Subway is hideous alright.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Alessandra wrote: »
    Oh don't get me wrong I love that area of the city, my adopted home. I just think it could do with some brightening up!
    Subway is hideous alright.
    It's no Billy's Bargains.

Billy's Bargains?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Knacker Dwarf:D

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

at the moment its those blasted jap ships in the docks. ruinin my view! actually they're more of an ear sore, leaving their engines on 24/7:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement