Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU proxy and online gaming

Options
  • 23-09-2008 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Probably a stupid question but i'm curious. I'm wondering would it be possible to play online MAME games (see http://ggpo.net/) through a proxy (in my case Dublin City University)? I live on campus. The thing is, the setup is peer to peer and i have to do something like set up a static IP address and forward ports and all that stuff but its over my head. Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't want to see anyone discussing how to get around network restrictions, if your using DCU's network your bound by there network policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Why not ask one of CSD Staff members?

But remember to leaving a holy offering of Beer and spirits outside their office everyday until the new moon because asking them any questions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Its easy eoungh to do just google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Cabaal wrote: »
    I don't want to see anyone discussing how to get around network restrictions, if your using DCU's network your bound by there network policy.

I'm not trying to hack their system, just wondering if I could play games with my campus connection. I guess I could just ask CSD but I doubt they'd be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

animaX wrote: »
    .. I guess I could just ask CSD but I doubt they'd be interested

Why not? Do they not bleed play games? Though it may be network admins you should ask about the network, not CSD. I suppose DCU have an IT dept. separate for Comp.Sci. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 13

google ssh and putty ;) another idea would be to tunnel into your home pc from college.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

13 wrote: »
    google ssh and putty ;) another idea would be to tunnel into your home pc from college.

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but how do you "tunnel into your home PC from college". I've often wanted to access stuff from work thats on my home computer, but never knew where to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

rosboy wrote: »
    Sorry to ask a stupid question, but how do you "tunnel into your home PC from college". I've often wanted to access stuff from work thats on my home computer, but never knew where to start.

Youd need to set up a server or get software to act as one. It's not impossible but it would take a fair bit of research. It may not be possible either, it depends on various ISP factors.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

rosboy wrote: »

You could Do it web-based

www.logmein.com

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

animaX wrote: »
    I'm not trying to hack their system, just wondering if I could play games with my campus connection. I guess I could just ask CSD but I doubt they'd be interested

I'm not saying you want to "hack" anything, I'm saying that your trying to find a work around for their network restrictions, if they have ports blocked there blocked for a reason such as security or to stop people using certain applications :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm not saying you want to "hack" anything, I'm saying that your trying to find a work around for their network restrictions, if they have ports blocked there blocked for a reason such as security or to stop people using certain applications :)

Fair enough. As I said, I know nothing of this sort of thing. Was just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 13

if you wanted to access your home comp from work and vice versa, you could setup vpn on either end.

theres a basic tutorial here: http://www.itsatechworld.com/2006/01/29/how-to-configure-openvpn/

openvpn and tightvnc will both get the job done. you can also encrypt these connections with ssh for tighter security (recommended).. once youre up and running just use putty or remote desktop etc to login.

for a much easier solution, check out thedropbox.com .. its web based folder sharing that works via web interface (still in beta form but ive had no prob using it across mac/pc). you could simply have a share folder on your pc at home with all the files you might need at work in that folder and just login to the browser from work and go from there. of course this is a much more limited fix ie you wont be able to access *any* folder on the remote pc or have any other control over it basically. but whatever suits your needs ;)

Advertisement