Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need directions...

Options
  • 23-09-2008 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Folks, I dunno if this is the right place to be asking but I figure ye'll know more than anyone...

I'm pretty familiar with Dublin city centre but I'm not the best with driving it (I can't remember where I can/can't turn and I'd hate to be driving round Dublin with a bogger reg having people beep at me as I make illegal right-hand turns! :D)

So I'm wondering...can I turn legally right onto George's Street from Dame Street? And then, can I turn left onto Exchequer Street from George's Street?

Thank you!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

DArcy wrote: »

So I'm wondering...can I turn legally right onto George's Street from Dame Street? And then, can I turn left onto Exchequer Street from George's Street?

Thank you!!
    No, there is no right turn, maybe the signs are a giveaway.

AndyP wrote: »

maybe he is asking so he knows in advance of getting there and can plan an alternative route??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No, you can't turn right from Dame St to george's St. You can, however, turn left into Exchequer St from George's St!

If you're coming from Christchurch, you'll have to turn right into Werburgh St (after Jury's Inn), then left into Ship St. Follow the road around to Stephen St (T junction). Must go left here, then turn left at lights onto George's St. You can turn right from George's St into Exchequer St.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

esel's directions are basically spot on. I'd do it slightly differently (via golden lane after werburgh st) but same difference

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DArcy

You're a bright one...:rolleyes:

Thanks for that route esel & jdivision - it makes good sense and it'll save me later on from making the mistake of driving up Dame Street only to realise I can't turn right onto George's Street! I'm glad I asked!!!!!

One last question - is a right turn from Dame Street onto Trinity Street allowed?

Many thanks from a determined female driver from the country ;)

• Advertisement

One last question - is a right turn from Dame Street onto Trinity Street allowed?
    Yes.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DArcy

Thanks Esel. You've saved me a lot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd hate to be driving round Dublin with a bogger reg having people beep at me as I make illegal right-hand turns! :D)
    Plenty of us with 'D' regs get caught out now and again!
    maybe the signs are a giveaway.
    No need to be a smartarse Andy. It's difficult to see the 'No Right Turn' signs when ploting a route in advance. Perhaps you could tell us how you manage it.
    jdivision wrote: »
    esel's directions are basically spot on. I'd do it slightly differently (via golden lane after werburgh st) but same difference
    I agree - Werburg Street onto Bride Street, left onto Golden Lane (past Raddison) and onto Stephen Street Upper and then left onto Georges Street.

(PS - How did you know she was coming from Christchurch direction?)

I agree - Werburg Street onto Bride Street, left onto Golden Lane (past Raddison) and onto Stephen Street Upper and then left onto Georges Street.

(PS - How did you know she was coming from Christchurch direction?)
    esel wrote: »
    If you're coming from Christchurch....

Going via Golden Lane involves an extra set of traffic lights! :D

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Going via Golden Lane involves an extra set of traffic lights! :D
    ....and going up the narrow Ship Street Little/Great means getting caught up with construction traffic and deliverly trucks! ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

No need to be a smartarse Andy. It's difficult to see the 'No Right Turn' signs when ploting a route in advance. Perhaps you could tell us how you manage it.

Didn't mean to come across as a smartarse. From reading the original post about making illegal turns, whether you are lost or not it is not acceptable to make turns where it is not allowed. Believe me, I see some amazing driving in the course of my job (I drive for a living, not a taxi though).

Esel is spot on with the directions.

whether you are lost or not it is not acceptable to make turns where it is not allowed
    Hence the reason why the OP, who is not familiar with driving in Dublin, was asking in advance.

Advertisement