Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good time to buy a used car?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Looking to buy a used car 2/3 years old, something like the Fiat Panda,Skoda Fabia....
    Is this a good time of the year to buy or is it best to wait till Jan / Feb
    Will I get a better bargain now?
    Budget around 6 to 7K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Sid71 wrote: »
    Looking to buy a used car 2/3 years old, something like the Fiat Panda,Skoda Fabia....
    Is this a good time of the year to buy or is it best to wait till Jan / Feb
    Will I get a better bargain now?
    Budget around 6 to 7K

Now's the time, cash is king and buyers are very rare.
    Offer half the asking price, some people are desperate to shift their old wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If you have cash now is a great time to buy if you have no trade in, if your budget is 7K start looking at cars that cost €9K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

if buying privately, look for people emigtrating
    there desperate !!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

It's a buyers market, I'd side for the Panda, as they're two a penny which gives you an advantage over the Fabia which is less common - better your chances of a making a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

jaycen wrote: »
    Now's the time, cash is king and buyers are very rare.
    Offer half the asking price, some people are desperate to shift their old wheels.

Half the asking price........you're having a laugh mate.
    As bad as the market may be, I don't think you'd find anyone desperate enough to sell for half :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

lafors wrote: »
    As bad as the market may be, I don't think you'd find anyone desperate enough to sell for half :rolleyes:

haha, had a bit of a laugh at that one myself..

If something is up for 10k then offer them 8k, ya might get lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Notch000 wrote: »
    if buying privately, look for people emigtrating
    there desperate !!!! :p
    Or foreign nationals returning home if you were interested in buying something between 1992 and 1996 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone catch that advert from SIMI on radio? They have set up a website which sounds like eh, carzone. Cant recall the url.

By the way kind of sh1te-hole is this?

http://www.simi.ie/

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Was talking to a mate in the trade and they are desperate to sell their trade-in stock before the end of the year so now is the time to buy. Cash buyer is king at the moment. He's already dramatically slashed his prices and said he will be cutting them further as he has 100+ cars to shift before year end.

If you're going the finance route check you have been approved. He told he missed out on numerous sales lately because the people couldn't get credit. These people had no problems before but the finance companies have really closed up shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

lafors wrote: »
    ClioV6 wrote: »
    haha, had a bit of a laugh at that one myself..

If something is up for 10k then offer them 8k, ya might get lucky.

Obviously you guys havn't dealt in the trade :rolleyes: First offer and all that, get real if you're offering close to market price right now you'll be jumped on and relieved of your cash, offer low and work up.

The car will not sell at half price but you're indicating the direction you're willing to deal in, if motivated the buyer would immediately drop his/her price, if not just walk away - they're dilluded about the car's value. It's a quick way of finding out how much the seller wants to get rid.

Twice this year I have boutght at just over half ask, luck had nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement