Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards soccer forum adopt a team for the season

• 23-09-2008 4:05pm

Okay, I got this idea off an outside source (:D) whereby we take an obscure continental team (in their case its Córdoba CF of the Spanish Segunda division) and as a forum we support them as our honourary team for the season.

We need guys to nominate a team (no feeder clubs or sister clubs to English or Irish teams, we want everyone on the same page :pac:) and then we'll do a poll and decide who the official boards soccer team is for this season! We should try to pick a club that will hopefully encounter some drama, either through a battle for promotion or fight to survive. And if possible a story or something to set it apart. It can be a top flight club but in that case preferably a minnow.

Then in the spirit of learning, we try and learn a bit about the club, their players, its history, its ground etc etc etc and follow their results!!

So fire away with suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i refuse to partake in anything inspired by RedCafe :(

only joking, i think we should go for Standard Liege

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i refuse to partake in anything inspired by RedCafe :(

When I read the post I new it would not be long before someone mentioned this....:)

Good idea, but aren't they one of the dominant teams in the Belgian league? Still, not a bad idea since they may have a UEFA Cup run for us to follow (whcih could lead to a conflict for fans of clubs they may end up against...like Everton!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Perth Glory

I can go to games and post up exclusive videos and pics to keep us right up to date and in the know.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    When I read the post I new it would not be long before someone mentioned this....:)

I only mentioned it so people would know I'm openly stealing the idea!

Maybe a bit to mainstream after their recent games on Liverpool.Also they are in the UEFA cup I know its not the best competition in the world but its not obscure.

I only mentioned it so people would know I'm openly stealing the idea!

You coulda just said 'an outside source'......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Bohemian FC, from a small Island in the British Isles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Read this on ott, great idea Neil, massive +1 from me.

I think we should be scouring for a South American team: perhaps Newells Old Boys, the name alone is a winner for me and we could all refer to eachother as NOB-heads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Sport Club Corinthians Paulista

seriously big club falling on hard times. should be lots of drama. :)

they'll be back up in the Brazilian Seria A next year so we can start supporting in the new year

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You coulda just said 'an outside source'......

Too late now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

How about anyone that supports an English team that doesnt have an Eircom league team select one? And visa versa... that includes you Des

/i'm gonna get a bashin after that aint i

EDIT: Only seeing Bohsmans post now

This is the thing, people now prepared to jump on teams like "Newells Old Boys" and "Standard Liege"... what the f'uck, seriously what the f'uck. Can anyone see the logic at all?!

Trilla wrote: »

Indeed, that's a paddlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Leyton Orient

How about anyone that supports an English team that doesnt have an Eircom league team select one? And visa versa... that includes you Des

Just pick a small Spanish/Italian or German team will ya!! :P

Only joking, thats actually also a good idea.

gimmick wrote: »
    Leyton Orient

This wouldnt work because if they got United/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea/Villa/City etc in the FA Cup then the @rse would fall out of this cos the fans would go back to their 1st team.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Fortuna Sittard, Dutch nobodies, who've never really done anything, and don't look like they will any time soon.

I'll pick one - Levante there ya go...

Now everyone else pick an League of Ireland team also!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Albinoleffe, formed in 1998, started in C2 (4th div) Avg attendance 2400.

Top Serie B in Italy. Missed out in a playoff for promotion to Serie A last season.

http://www.albinoleffe.com/

I will buy one of these if we pick them -

wanka.gif

needs a poll. i think hold this thread up for a week or so, and users should thank everyone who's nominations they agree with and would support. then pick the top 10 teams with the most thanks and create a poll for actual winner.

yay/nay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

1860 Munich??!! Second division

No, nobody pick an Irish team.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sociedad or zaragoza, big clubs but in the seguinda division. Both hava a LOT of history behind them. Ill post about them later.

monkey9 wrote: »
    No, nobody pick an Irish team.

lol why not!

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Albinoleffe, formed in 1998, started in C2 (4th div) Avg attendance 2400.

Top Serie B in Italy. Missed out in a playoff for promotion to Serie A last season.

http://www.albinoleffe.com/

I don't know. They sound like a desert!

• Advertisement

lol why not!

Becuase it would be boring as fcuk. There, I said it.

I'd rather stay away from the mainstream countries. Your Spains, Italys, Germanys and what not. Has to be something obscure.

lol why not!

Well, i'm not supporting Bohs!!!! Or Rovers. I don't think it would work if people on here affilliation with a team. It's better to have someone obscure that we can all get behind

We can only have a poll with 10 teams so I think the best way to do this is the first ten teams to get 3 nominations will be on the poll.

Do you think that is fair..?

Genk!!!!!! What about Genk!! Just for the name alone

We can only have a poll with 10 teams so I think the best way to do this is the first ten teams to get 3 nominations will be on the poll.

Do you think that is fair..?

So if my next ten posts suggest Deportivo Wanka then they're in?! :p

• Advertisement

Are they real?? I'll nominate that one too

I'd rather stay away from the mainstream countries. Your Spains, Italys, Germanys and what not. Has to be something obscure.

Fair point but not TOO obscure, want to be able to follow them a bit ya know!

Becuase it would be boring as fcuk. There, I said it.

so would supporting f'cuking genk, standard f'ucking liege and athletico Idontgivea**** fc

monkey9 wrote: »
    Are they real?? I'll nominate that one too

Damn right they're real!

We can all get t-shirts!

http://www.sportingkicks.co.uk/shop.php3?prodid=2337&product=Deportivo%20Wanka

ARRIBA EL WANKA!!! :pac:

• Advertisement

No I mean the first 10 teams to get 3 nomination's are on the poll.Then its up to the soccer forum users.

When we get the poll going we can have ten summaries of the clubs for lads to read so you have an idea of who you are voting for.

Jesus this is turning into the Soccer forum X Factor.

Damn right they're real!

We can all get t-shirts!

2337.jpg

ARRIBA EL WANKA!!! :pac:

What league are they in.....i can't hit links in work

No I mean the first 10 teams to get 3 nomination's are on the poll.Then its up to the soccer forum users.

When we get the poll going we can have ten summaries of the clubs for lads to read so you have an idea of who you are voting for.

I'm so excited now.

nah hold off a bit. perhaps sticky the thread for a week or something so everyone has a chance to see it and nominate.

Ok Ive already had a suggestion but how about Red Star Belgrade. I say this since the forum has an inside man in delija. But I have no idea how theyre doin or if thats obscure enough. They may be running away with the Serbian League for all I know!

people dont read stickies, just keep bumping it.

Right, so is anyone interested in having a look at Argentinian outfit Newell Old Boys?

nah hold off a bit. perhaps sticky the thread for a week or something so everyone has a chance to see it and nominate.
    +1

Yea lets make sure due consideration is given. Would be harsh if someone was offline a few days and had a great idea to contribute with.

Right, so is anyone interested in having a look at Argentian outfit Newell Old Boys?

I like your thinkin. Plus Eurosport shows South American highlights doesnt it?!!

Ok Ive already had a suggestion but how about Red Star Belgrade. I say this since the forum has an inside man in delija. But I have no idea how theyre doin or if thats obscure enough. They may be running away with the Serbian League for all I know!

Again, i just think it's better if no-one on Boards has an affiliation to the club. It's better to find out for ourselves

• Advertisement
Advertisement