Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards soccer forum adopt a team for the season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ok Ive already had a suggestion but how about Red Star Belgrade. I say this since the forum has an inside man in delija. But I have no idea how theyre doin or if thats obscure enough. They may be running away with the Serbian League for all I know!

Delija would love that!

Can we go for a second tier team that is in with a promotion shout? Much more exciting. Then next year we can watch them battle the elements and try stay up in the big league.

Newell's Old Boys are too 'big' for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

nah hold off a bit. perhaps sticky the thread for a week or something so everyone has a chance to see it and nominate.

I don't think it matters that much,I can see one or two teams getting 3 nominations pretty fast but by the time we are down to the 10th team most regular users should have seen this thread by then.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Again, i just think it's better if no-one on Boards has an affiliation to the club. It's better to find out for ourselves

Cool. Thats why we have the discussion about it.

Again, i just think it's better if no-one on Boards has an affiliation to the club. It's better to find out for ourselves

Yes....we can try and fine their forums,thats if they have any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This will probably change our lives. Eurosport will be the new Sky Sports. We'll be making obscure trips to far off places, maybe we'll even get into the Deportivo Wanka Ultras! There's a book in this and movie spin off......or maybe the thread will die a death. Either way, i'm stoked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

The Deportivo Wanka thing just strikes me as the kind of thing a lager-lout would latch onto. Crass.

I'd second the Albino Leffe.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Delija would love that!

Can we go for a second tier team that is in with a promotion shout? Much more exciting. Then next year we can watch them battle the elements and try stay up in the big league.

Are Sociedad or Zaragoza too big for you? Although I have a strong fondness for Barcelona so if they got them in the Copa del Rey......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I like your thinkin. Plus Eurosport shows South American highlights doesnt it?!!

As far as I know, yeah.

That's one of the reasons I would advocate them. For interest to bee maintained, people will need access to them, but at the same time, we won't be overdosed on them like if we picked a European side.

This will probably change our lives. Eurosport will be the new Sky Sports. We'll be making obscure trips to far off places, maybe we'll even get into the Deportivo Wanka Ultras! There's a book in this and movie spin off......or maybe the thread will die a death. Either way, i'm stoked!

Haha, if it takes off we should all get their jersey and do a road trip to see a match!! :pac:

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    The Deportivo Wanka thing just strikes me as the kind of thing a lager-lout would latch onto. Crass.

I'd second the Albino Leffe.

Right you. Outside!!!!

If you are nomination or supporting a nomination could you post it in bold or something to stand out,as I don't fancy reading over 30/40 pages of this thread when I have to do up the poll.

Are Sociedad or Zaragoza too big for you? Although I have a strong fondness for Barcelona so if they got them in the Copa del Rey......

They're from Spain. I'd prefer to stay out of Europe of possible

Reminds me of the tv program That's Life.

Initially slightly funny, and nosedives thereafter.

Dub13 wrote: »
    If you are nomination or supporting a nomination could you post it in bold or something to stand out,as I don't fancy reading over 30/40 pages of this thread when I have to do up the poll.
    done

Okay lads, so far reading through, the criteria should maybe include being able to catch a highlights package (or stream :cool:) of said team the odd time so we're not blindly supporting a team we never see, or are people ok with doing that?!

• Advertisement

They're not that big. They have won a few leagues sure, but who hasn't if you scour the annals of football history. If we go for too small a team, I think interest would wain after the honeymoon period.

Come on, look at them, great bunch of lads :D

Newell%27s_Old_Boys_1974.jpg

Ok folks, my final nomination is one of football's sleeping giants -

CORINTHIANS

Currently in the Second Division of the Brazilian league but a club rich in history.

Past players include Garrincha, Socrates, Carlos Tevez, Rivaldo, Freddy Rincon, Rivelino and Dida.

We can follow their progress back to the big time.

Charlie are u a previous fan of Newells?!! I like that idea, I have to consider some others before seconding it though!

Sorry Xavi, Wanka would wear thin with me after a while (though it is damn funny!)

Okay lads, so far reading through, the criteria should maybe include being able to catch a highlights package (or stream :cool:) of said team the odd time so we're not blindly supporting a team we never see, or are people ok with doing that?!

This would be my thinking, but remember that streams may be useless if we are picking a team that plays at 3am Irish time. Package ftw!

Now we're talkin....nice Xavi. But you forgot Mascherano. Decisions decisions!!

• Advertisement

CORINTHIANS

Currently in the Second Division of the Brazilian league but a club rich in history.

Past players include Garrincha, Socrates, Carlos Tevez, Rivaldo, Freddy Rincon, Rivelino and Dida.

Ah here, get the boat. If you're calling NOBs too big, then Corinthians is taking the piss.

CORINTHIANS

Was it not Tom Hicks and his cronies who sent them down there

Ah here, get the boat. If you're calling NOBs too big, then Corinthians is taking the piss.

They were a big club. Struggling now. I'd like to closely follow their bid to return to past glories.

Haha!! May as well support Boca!! Corinthians were only relegated due to the corruption scandal werent they? Very corrupt dealings involving them in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

CLUJ FC for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U_Cluj

They beat ROMA in the CL last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

just to make life easy for Dub13 here's the nominations so far that i can see

Standard Liege

Perth Glory

Bohs

Newell's Old Boys

SC Corinthians Paulista
    (x2)

Leyton Orient

Deportivo Wanka

Levante

Albinoleffe
    (x2)

1860 Munich

Fortuna Sittard

Metallurg

Sociedad

Zaragoza

Genk

Red Star Belgrade

Cluj FC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Is there any chance we can agree to avoid European teams?

There's too much chance of the likes of Cluj, Red Star etc meeting an English team in Europe.

i know theyre a unique example but can anyone think of a continental team with similarities to Notingham Forrest? A real fall from glory case...... just trying to aid suggestions here.

the one thing about the South American leagues is that anything other then the top leagues will be very hard to follow, that's why i'd go for better supported clubs there.

as for Corinthians, yeah fair enough they are pretty big, but i've had a soft spot for them going back long before Joorbachan got involved. i've had a jersey since i was 10 that i still wear that my oul fellah got me when he was in Sao Paulo. maybe i should have mentioned that before :o

• Advertisement

Charlie are u a previous fan of Newells?!! I like that idea, I have to consider some others before seconding it though!

No, but the same always stands out at me when I think Argentian football because of its sheer randomness. Looking at their history though, I would back them.

- The club plays the Rosario derby against Rosario Central, a club with which it has a huge historical rivalry.

- The team is often referred to as leprosos (lepers) because they played in a charity match to raise funds for a leprosy clinic back in the 1920s

- Newell's Old Boys have won the Argentine Championship five times ( 1974, 1987/88, 1990/91, 1992 and 2004). The 1990/91 Championship was disputed between the 1990 Newell's and 1991 Champions Boca Juniors , which Newell's won in home-and-away matches. Even though the 1990 Clausura was not considered official by itself, it is considered by Newell's supporters to be their "sixth" championship

- The team has also contributed an important number of players to the Argentina national team, and exported many players to Europe's top leagues, mostly to Italy and Spain. Among its great players were Gabriel Batistuta, Abel Balbo, Jorge Valdano, Américo Gallego, Mario Zanabria, Gustavo Dezotti, Roberto Sensini, Walter Samuel, Mauricio Pochettino, René Pontoni, Diego Maradona, Gerardo Martino, Ángel Perucca and several more. It has recently produced players like Argentine internationals Gabriel Heinze, Maxi Rodriguez and Lionel Messi ('nuff said :cool:).

Yeah, i don't mind avoiding Europe. In fact, if by going South American, we may even discover a new Ronaldinho or whatever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

We cud nearly have a league with that amount of noms. :)

I like the South American angle myself. But I agree, as we get into South American territory, we have to aim for a top div club. But make sure its not the team in this years World Club Championship (cant remember off the top of my head!!)

Okay, I second Newell's Old Boys. Sold by Messi!

Yeah, perhaps before we decide on a team, we decide and agree on a region. It would narrow things down.

Well I'm happy with any region outside Europe.

And if this takes off I will definitely buy the team's shirt

Yeah, perhaps before we decide on a team, we decide and agree on a region. It would narrow things down.

was just going to recommend that myself

I'd go with either South America myself because of the different football culture there, although i'd second a nomination for anywhere in Europe as if we get serious it might be possible to arrange trips there, but not anyone from the big countries as we'd much more likely to see a clash bin Europe between the more regular teams supported on the forum.

Well I'm happy with any region outside Europe.

And if this takes off I will definitely buy the team's shirt

Newell's FTW. They did a charity match for lepers, they have the moral fibre!

And defo on the shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I think it should be a european team 1 or 2 divisions down. Random selection from me would be Montpellier in France. Currently 9th in League 2, could end up in relegation trouble or fighting for promotion. If its an obscure South American side could be hard getting decent info in english. boring if it ends up being just the scores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montpellier_HSC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligue_2_2008%E2%80%9309

• Advertisement

The fans seem like a good bunch of lads as well, no prawn sandwiche'rs amongst them I would imagine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

As a River Plate fan I have reservations about supporting Newells (i.e. I won't).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Would it not be good to have a shortlist of a few teams and then we could choose which team to keep track of and see if that team finishes better than other people's picks? Could lead to a bit of friendly banter as well. Or am I being too competitive? :)

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I think it should be a european team 1 or 2 divisions down. Random selection from me would be Montpellier in France. Currently 9th in League 2, could end up in relegation trouble or fighting for promotion. If its an obscure South American side could be hard getting decent info in english. boring if it ends up being just the scores.

actually it mightn't be too hard to follow the South American football. rojadirecta regularly have streams up for the south American matches, they have one up tonight for a Brazilian Serie B outing between Ceará and Avaí. it actually may be just as difficult to get info on the lower leagues in Europe in english.

I hope anybody who is nominating a team is prepared to do a summery of the team for the big vote.

As a River Plate fan I have reservations about supporting Newells (i.e. I won't).

2.gif

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    I hope anybody who is nominating a team is prepared to do a summery of the team for the big vote.

Not a bother boss.

Not a bother boss.

2.gif

Hahaha! nice charlie, Im defo in. Ill go home and look into them and pass on anything I find. I'm basically in cos of Messi, not gonna lie! And Batistuta!

united fan living in France supporting river........elaborate, they might make the list (if theyre on a mid table slump that is!!:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

How about:

New York Red Bulls...

I have followed them from the early days of MLS when they were called the Metrostars.

Very easy to get information on etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_New_York

or a new team in Seattle is starting next season in April '09.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Sounders_FC

How about:

New York Red Bulls...

I have followed them from the early days of MLS when they were called the Metrostars.

Very easy to get information on etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_New_York

or a new team in Seattle is starting next season in April '09.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Sounders_FC

If we're going MLS-styley the big franchiss should be avoided. Someone small like Chivas would be preferable.

TBH, it would do my nut in having to follow Yank footage and commentary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement