Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards soccer forum adopt a team for the season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Des wrote: »
    No way, I thought all teams with a shamrock in their crest had a link to Ireland.

Weird.

Really? That's quite an ole ole ole brigade attitude, is it not? ;)

...when the Dutch lads rack up fifty posts in AH and apply to Soccer, is it?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

These guys, with their shamrock, surely have a link to Ireland :confused:

nope. nothing to do with Ireland.

their club site says it was a former player who suggested it as his old club in Istanbul had it on theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm going to nominate my mothers home town team . VFB Gaggenau.

http://www.vfb-gaggenau.de/

Lovely town that houses the Mercedes Unimog factory and a unimog musem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

*cough*Longford Town*cough*;)
    No seriously - I've no suggestions except to say I whole heartedly support this idea and will adopt the the chosen team!
    Can we have short-list of suggested teams, their vital stats and a poll when it come to decision making?
    I like the idea of choosing delijas team, but maybe too mainstream alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

wtf? What possible attraction could something like this hold?

CiaranC wrote: »

Its called a bit of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

BOOO............................................................URNS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Stekelly wrote: »
    I'm going to nominate my mothers home town team . VFB Gaggenau.

Stekelly's ma is Gaggen for it.

:pac:

Des, I was actually gonna suggest Panathinaikos! Nice! Horto Magiko is epic!

Dub 13, you may want to start a new thread when the times comes going through the pros/cons of each club so that people dont have to skip to page 6 etc?

• Advertisement

Stekelly's ma is Gaggen for it.

:pac:

well someone was always gonna say it!!

Des was actually gonna suggest Panathanaikos!

You could start by spelling it right then

Panathinaikos :rolleyes:

gtfomb4.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Perth Glory

I can go to games and post up exclusive videos and pics to keep us right up to date and in the know.

Come on the Glory! Used to love going to the Shed, back in 2000. Bringing back memories of their favourite chant at the time - 'She fell over, she fell over' whenever one of the opposition took a tumble. And their secret weapon - the 40degree heat. Watch the opponents wilt in the last 15!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

See if someone mentions how can we support a team like this without supporting a LOI team.

monkey9 wrote: »
    See if someone mentions how can we support a team like this without supporting a LOI team.

well some LOI teams were suggested.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

in fairness though wouldn't it be just as good actually going to watch matches you otherwise wouldn't normally do. great opportunity to give you a start off at being passionate for a LOI team.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Albinoleffe, formed in 1998, started in C2 (4th div) Avg attendance 2400.

Top Serie B in Italy. Missed out in a playoff for promotion to Serie A last season.

http://www.albinoleffe.com/

Was actually going to suggest them myself, if for no other reason than I'm currently managing them in FM08. :D

They can't even play in either of the towns that give the club its name because there's no gound big enough in either Albino or Leffe big enough to be permitted to host Serie B games. So despite their meagre average attendance they play in a 26,000 seater stadium in Bergamo (home town or Atalanta). They're currently top of Serie B, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Zaph wrote: »
    Was actually going to suggest them myself, if for no other reason than I'm currently managing them in FM08. :D

They can't even play in either of the towns that give the club its name because there's no gound big enough in either Albino or Leffe big enough to be permitted to host Serie B games. So despite their meagre average attendance they play in a 26,000 seater stadium in Bergamo (home town or Atalanta). They're currently top of Serie B, btw.

From looking at all the replies so far, this Albino Leffe or Go Ahead Eagles would get my vote...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It would be good to have an Irish link with St Pauli.

They were nearly going bankrupt but were still giving to charity.

"VIVA CON AGUA DE SANKT PAULI, a charity whose water projects and commitment to water aid projects have gained them nationwide recognition. Founded by Benny Adrian (a former professional footballer and player at FC. St. Pauli) while attending a training camp in Cuba, the charity's scope soon extended and now includes projects in Africa and Cuba. VCADSP works with the German food aid charity Welthungerhilfe and its main sponsor is the indomitable football team St. Pauli. In March, chancellor Angela Merkel presented the coveted award "Start Social 2007" to VCADSP and six other charities."

http://www.vivaconagua.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I will give Go Ahead Eagles my vote, Marc Overmars is back playing for them. Wait that may turn some ppl off. Shud kept me mouth shut.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    It would be good to have an Irish link with St Pauli.

I thought there already was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Boardeaux!!!!!!!!!!!!

imagine it, 50 of us turn up to watch their matches, home and away! we'd be like the boardeaux firm!:)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Boardeaux!!!!!!!!!!!!

imagine it, 50 of us turn up to watch their matches, home and away! we'd be like the boardeaux firm!:)

And, our season starts in 2 weeks time, we're unbeaten in 6 pre-season friendlies, and have a fúcking quality squad for this season.

I predict good things.

Fair play to you Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I thought there already was.

I honestly nearly fell off the chair after reading this. The only thing that the majority of people that post here including myself. Is that we love football.Des didnt you know that SELTIC are a Scottish team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

A big group of unexpected supporters going wild every week would be epic.

Great (borrowed) idea Neill.

CHD wrote: »
    A big group of unexpected supporters going wild every week would be epic.

Great (borrowed) idea Neill.

Only thing is I've no intention of giving it back so its a stolen idea! :pac:

It'd be epic alright!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

So which team have I to support and whom have I to thank for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Juventus i think should be the team we nominate because they have lots of drama and stories and they got back into serie A last year and now they are in champs league again with basicaly a whole new team.

• Advertisement

So which team have I to support and whom have I to thank for it?

no one yet. Still debating. Itll be down to a poll in the next day or 2 then itll be done. So get suggesting!

Juventus i think should be the team we nominate because they have lots of drama and stories and they got back into serie A last year and now they are in champs league again with basicaly a whole new team.

Ive been to a Juve match before, sh1te atmosphere as its about 20000 fans into an 80000 seater stadium.

Support your local team

BOARDEAUX!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

AlbinoLeffe +1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

united fan living in France supporting river........elaborate, they might make the list (if theyre on a mid table slump that is!!:D)

United? As in Man United? Weird notion!

Ah no, I just have good memories of watching River beat Corinthians live in the Monumental. Best game I ever saw - Tevez in amazing form outdone by Gallardo, bicycle kicks, red card for Mascherano, unbelievable crowd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'd like to nominate
    CASTEL DI SANGRO
    A team from a little mountain town that has provided the world with such brilliant players as Vicenzo Iaquinta, Carlo Cudicini and Ginotha Spinesi. They are currently in an absolutely shockingly low league in Italy but in their heyday they somehow managed to get to Serie B. I would describe what happened after that but I don't want to ruin this marvelous book on anyone.
    9780316644730.jpg
    I reckon boards.ie should get behind this team to restore them to their former mediocrity

• Advertisement

right, going through the thread, I'm making this list of replies and the odd thanks (assuming they were nominations, clarify if they weren't), pretty much excluding every team without a second. So it looks like the main contenders so far are:

Albinoleffe (Zaph, nipplenuts, Third Echelon, Bastard Prince, RE*AC*TOR)

St. Pauli (Des, Neil1984, Dave!, Stekelly, Sarge, therecklessone, eirebhoy, bohsman)

Go Ahead (KevIRL, Third Echelon, Mr. X, Dub13)

Panathinaikos (Des, Neil1984, CHD)

Corinthians (Xavi, Dave!, Myself)

Newell's Old Boys (Charlie, Neil1984)

Boardeax (Alan, Des) ;)

I see a few names have made more than one nomination, might be easier if people were to limit it to one, although maybe that should be left til the poll

Neil (and anyone else who is interested) I found a fairly decent English fansite/blog for Newell's if you want to have a read over. Here she is.

Oh and Al, Diego Torres plays for Newell's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

+1 on St Pauli, Id have a soft spot for them anyway despite supporting Werder Bremen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

+1 Panathinaikos

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

KevIRL wrote: »
    My proposal is Go Ahead Eagles from the Dutch Eerste Divisie

I am going to support this one as I think its ideal.
    Dub 13, you may want to start a new thread when the times comes going through the pros/cons of each club so that people dont have to skip to page 6 etc?

When I do the poll up in a day or two I will have a brief synopses of each club,all on a new thread off course.

• Advertisement

The Arsenal Carling Cup Team.

Wenger always plays the "babies" in this, and they are usually awesome to watch, picking apart the lower league teams.

Real stars of the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Werder Bremen - i'll let you all join the OIWBSCoI club! (We have 4 members so far! :D)

Why why why not Dortmund Tauren!

for this alone....the best terrace in football

Suedtribuene.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I was going to nominate MVV from Holland (my Football Manager team who Ive developed a soft spot for IRL) but it appears I'm too late now.
    That is why I can't possibly support Go Ahead Eagles.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I was going to nominate MVV from Holland (my Football Manager team who Ive developed a soft spot for IRL) but it appears I'm too late now.
    That is why I can't possibly support Go Ahead Eagles.

nah it's not too late man. get 2 other nominations and you'll be put up on the poll which is going up in a few days. plenty of time til then to drum up a bit of support.

i have to say though I've managed a lot of the 1st division teams in Holland in FM08. i dunno what it is about that league but you nearly end up with a soft spot for nearly every club. if i can't get Corinthians voted (which is looking increasingly unlikely now :() i'll nearly support anyone one of the Dutch nominations so far.

except Zwolle. i hate Zwolle.

Tauren wrote: »
    Werder Bremen - i'll let you all join the OIWBSCoI club! (We have 4 members so far! :D)

5 it is so, Ive family that are season ticket holders but havent been to a game and really dont follow the league as much as I should. The highlights of the Munich game were epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In my opinion we should adopt a club that is playing in the forthcoming edition of the copa libertadores. We'd have a couple of months to get acquinted with the squad and club before the competition begins (January) and then we would get to follow them in the tournament itself.

I would advise against Dortmund - they are the Newcastle of German football. If we're going for a top team in the Bundesliga I'd go for Bremen because they spin the **** out of it attacking wise. It's the closest thing to Ossie Ardilles under Spurs from what I have seen of them. And they are in the CL. As appealing as following a minnow or lower division fallen division may appear, the reality is that if you can never see games or highlights you will lose interest quicker than you think.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If we're going for a top team in the Bundesliga I'd go for Bremen because they spin the **** out of it attacking wise.

Still not used to that, Im used to them being a yoyo club. Rehagle is a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I refuse to get behind a team with Celtic connections i.e. St. Pauli.

So for me it's either Corinthians, Go Ahead Eagles or that Albino team.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I refuse to get behind a team with Celtic connections i.e. St. Pauli.

So for me it's either Corinthians, Go Ahead Eagles or that Albino team.

And what Celtic connections does Mike Newell's have?

• Advertisement
Advertisement