Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards soccer forum adopt a team for the season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

IMO there's no point doing this unless there's the chance of going to see the side play a game, which rules out non-European sides and quite a few far flung Euro sides as well (Greece ain't the easiest place to get to!)

Of the main sides mentioned so far:

Albinoleffe Play in Bergamo, which is served by Ryanair flights to the nearby Orio al Serio Airport. Flights for a Saturday night game (returning Sunday) in November can currently be had for as little as €60. Also, Milan is not too far away, so Aer Lingus serve both Linate and Malpensa Airports.

St. Pauli Play in Hamburg, which is served by Ryanair. Unfortunately, they don't seem to fly every day, they have no flights ex-Dublin on a Friday, one ex-Dublin on Saturday (but doesn't arrive until 14:20 then returns straight away, and no flights ex-Hamburg to Dublin on a Sunday. There is a Ryanair flight back from Bremen on a Sunday though, leaves in the afternoon. Problem is there's no flights ex-Dublin on Friday to there, and the Staturday flight arrives late afternoon as well.

Aer Lingus are due to start flying to Hamburg in April next year though, on Friday and Sunday.

Go Ahead Eagles Play in Deventer, in the Netherlands. Aer Lingus have shed loads of flights to Amsterdam, then the train takes about 90mins. Eindhoven with Ryanair is another option, but nowhere near as many flights. Train would take about 2hrs.

Sorry if that appears anal, I'm waiting on my clothes to dry in the laundry and I've nothing better to do....;)

There are loads of flights to/from Prague if yis can be persuaded to go for Dukla...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And what Celtic connections does Mike Newell's have?

Honestly? I just don't like their kit! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

i have to say though I've managed a lot of the 1st division teams in Holland in FM08. i dunno what it is about that league but you nearly end up with a soft spot for nearly every club.

Must be the unlimited foreign players system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Galvasean wrote: »
    Must be the unlimited foreign players system.

heh, you're right. that's it. so many good players at PSV that i couldn't take with me to Inter :( that save ended up really annoying me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Honestly? I just don't like their kit! :o

Ya big bleedin queen. Go watch Sex and the City, and not football. :pac:

IMO there's no point doing this unless there's the chance of going to see the side play a game, which rules out non-European sides and quite a few far flung Euro sides as well (Greece ain't the easiest place to get to!)

Of the main sides mentioned so far:

Albinoleffe Play in Bergamo, which is served by Ryanair flights to the nearby Orio al Serio Airport. Flights for a Saturday night game (returning Sunday) in November can currently be had for as little as €60. Also, Milan is not too far away, so Aer Lingus serve both Linate and Malpensa Airports.

St. Pauli Play in Hamburg, which is served by Ryanair. Unfortunately, they don't seem to fly every day, they have no flights ex-Dublin on a Friday, one ex-Dublin on Saturday (but doesn't arrive until 14:20 then returns straight away, and no flights ex-Hamburg to Dublin on a Sunday. There is a Ryanair flight back from Bremen on a Sunday though, leaves in the afternoon. Problem is there's no flights ex-Dublin on Friday to there, and the Staturday flight arrives late afternoon as well.

Aer Lingus are due to start flying to Hamburg in April next year though, on Friday and Sunday.

Go Ahead Eagles Play in Deventer, in the Netherlands. Aer Lingus have shed loads of flights to Amsterdam, then the train takes about 90mins. Eindhoven with Ryanair is another option, but nowhere near as many flights. Train would take about 2hrs.

Sorry if that appears anal, I'm waiting on my clothes to dry in the laundry and I've nothing better to do....;)

There are loads of flights to/from Prague if yis can be persuaded to go for Dukla...:p

Whilst I disagree about your view on non-euro teams, fair play reckless for taking the time and looking that stuff up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Whilst I disagree about your view on non-euro teams, fair play reckless for taking the time and looking that stuff up.

If I'm honest charlie, if I wanted to just watch a team on the box I'd ditch the Spurs season ticket and get Sky Sports back in...

If I'm throwing my weight behind another team I want to at least see them in the flesh.

Yeah that's a valid point with regard to picking a South American team that is harder to see.

So the way I see it there are two choices -

1. A South American type team that has absolutely zero ties to any team suported by a forum poster.

or

2. A random, obscure, non top tier European side from a city close to a Ryanair route that has very little or no chance of playing one of our teams in European competition.

Does that sum it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

or 3: BOARDEAUX a team of fellow forumites,whose league starts in 2 weeks,who already have a little forum we could have our own thread in, and who no one will have to "fly" to see (except Xavi:))

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    or 3: BOARDEAUX a team of fellow forumites,whose league starts in 2 weeks,who already have a little forum we could have our own thread in, and who no one will have to "fly" to see (except Xavi:))

I'll be at 3 Boardeaux games in February when I go back, whether we're officially supporting them or not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

CFR Cluj - conquerors of Roma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Some famous players of Go Ahead Eagles:

Paul Bosvelt = Citeh connnection for Xavi , even though he was a bit of crap player.

Henk Ten Cate = Another connection for Xavi, was class at Barca with Frank, doesnt seem cut out for Management though ( even though has managed Go Ahead a couple of times, plus he is a bit of a nutter.

Raimond Van Der Gouw = For all you United fans and Sund'land fans, these days as GK coach.

Bert Van Marwijk = Current Dutch Coach, bit of a knob.

Jan Kronkamp= All you liverpool fans will remember this lad fondly :)

And Finally

MARC OVERMARS = Even as United fan I love this guy, especially for his days at Ajax, speedy gonzalez incarnate.

Their Crest:

150px-Go_Ahead_Eagles.png

Jersey:

Its actually quite nice:

thuisshirt.JPG

They have a website, unfortunately though its all in Dutch for you non Dutch speakers.

Yeah I'm really warming to the Go Ahead Eagles idea. Always liked their kit so I think I'm gonna get behind them.

P.S. Bosvelt wasn't crap! Denis Irwin fans don't like him though.....

Yeah I'm really warming to the Go Ahead Eagles idea. Always liked their kit so I think I'm gonna get behind them.

P.S. Bosvelt wasn't crap! Denis Irwin fans don't like him though.....
    I am just a bitter Ajax fan we dont like him much. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

Gerimo From Brazil are they allowed :)

• Advertisement

crest.JPG
    Boardeaux is the soccer team formed in August 2006 by regular posters on the Soccer forum. The name is a pun on the name of the French team FC Girondins de Bordeaux.

The team plays in Sky Blue jersies, Navy shorts and Sky Blue socks, emblazoned with the Team Crest, which was designed by Ruu and the sponsor name, 'Filestore Document and Data Management'. The jersey colours are a nod to the colour scheme on the main page of the website [1]. The two crests shown at the top of the page are the Official Crest, and also as it appears on the jersey.

800px-Boardeaux.jpg
    (ugly ****er with the captains armband)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Great idea Neil.

So after reading the thread Im swaying towards Go Ahead Eagles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think it goes without saying that we should support Boardeaux.

well then why not make them the officially backed team?:)

organise a few trips to their matches? few cans on the sideline? shout abuse at the opposition? few chants?

its the future.

I will stick up the Poll Friday afternoon,it will be for 7 days so you will have loads of time to think over your decision once we have the shortlist.Anybody who's team is already nominated get working on your synopses.

If we have ten teams nominated before Friday I will do the poll then.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    800px-Boardeaux.jpg

(ugly ****er with the captains armband)

Ha ha fuck you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

How about the local team from LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH in North Wales?

http://www.llanfairpwll.org/Peldroed/index.htm

Pros - if ever at a pub quiz in Wales we'd definitely get one question right (it always comes up...)

Cons - getting the name into songs and chants could prove challenging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Only five of them lads still involved in Boardeaux.

We need a new team photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's either the Albino's or GA Eagles for me!

Des wrote: »
    Only five of them lads still involved in Boardeaux.

We need a new team photo.

You are training them to hard.

How about the local team from LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH in North Wales?

http://www.llanfairpwll.org/Peldroed/index.htm

Pros - if ever at a pub quiz in Wales we'd definitely get one question right (it always comes up...)

Cons - getting the name into songs and chants could prove challenging.

I've stopped there a few times on the way to United matches! Place is a dive!

Boardeaux is a given surely???

I've stopped there a few times on the way to United matches! Place is a dive!

Yea I have been there a few times,I think all it has is a gift shop and a crap one at that.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Yea I have been there a few times,I think all it has is a gift shop and a crap one at that.

Ah the gift shop with the fake United/Liverpool merchandise!

It also has a Lidl type place and 1 pub!!

The most appealing part of the place is the sign with the name on it!

Well if people are veering away from a South American option, then I would give my support to the Eagles.

Agree that Bordeaux is a given. Problem with it being the official team, is that there will be no transfer spec to whet our appetites with, and it is harder to slate someone that has had a sh/t game.

OP

Even though it isn't your idea fair play. This would be a great idea imo! Would be such a laugh checking them up. We couldn't even do a beers meet up for when they are on the TV once in a blue moon.

My vote goes to AZ

They are a Dutch team up in contention I think lol - their name is fukn AZ lads. It has to be done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AZ_Alkmaar

• Advertisement

Done and Done.

The ol Sig Police will prob have something to say though, Fcuk I am being a Go Ahead Eagles Anarchist.

I'd +1 this, would be just as fun as AZ. We'd really need to organise beers if we could find a fixture on Eurosport. Would be a great laugh, I'd buy a fecking jersey over the net ! :p

lol they are playing against ''Cambuur'' on Friday.

I think this is one the best things to happen in the Soccer forum for some time.

Go Ahead Eagles are known as the SuperBoeren,

In english THE SUPERFARMERS!!!

Love this video, great soundtrack!

Get yisser shirts!

http://www.ga-eagles.nl/shop/

Mr. X wrote: »
    I think this is one the best things to happen in the Soccer forum for some time.

Go Ahead Eagles are known as the SuperBoeren,

In english THE SUPERFARMERS!!!

Love this video, great soundtrack!

That is hilarious! I agree X, this is a great thing for the soccer forum. Will be such a laugh. Come on you Farmers!

I will ask me dad later on to see what he knows on deventer and the Go Ahead Eagles, I aint lived there in a long time so he would know more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Looks like the Eagles fanclub has taken flight! :pac:

*gets coat and leaves*

• Advertisement

Looks like the Eagles fanclub has taken flight! :pac:

LOL...yes the Eagles campaign is off to a great start.This could be bigger than the US election.

All us Eagles fans are surely violating the Sig rules, only matter of time before those facists clamp down on us.

Mr. X wrote: »
    All us Eagles fans are surely violating the Sig rules, only matter of time before those facists clamp down on us.

It will make you stronger as a group,kind of like when a team gets a player sent off and then steps up there game.

It will make you stronger as a group,kind of like when a team gets a player sent off and then steps up there game.
    The group of SuperBoeren (Super Farmers WOOP WOOP)

Home game against league leaders Excelsior on February 20th. I'll be back in Ireland then. Could be a potential first outting!

Don't run before we can walk folks,we still have to put this to the public vote.

• Advertisement

The super farmers. Brilliant! Hopefully, 'we' sign Shweinsteiger!

Another funny thing about this is say we do choose the eagles, for arguements sake. You're walking down the road and you spot someone wearing the Eagles jersey. You're just gonna have the urge to ask them...'you've got to be a Boardsie, yeah?"

Don't run before we can walk folks,we still have to put this to the public vote.

I better cancel that home shirt.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Late to see this.
    I nominate Real Jaén C.F. www.realjaen.com
    I lived in this city (Jaen) 7 years ago and it is a great little place, good atmosphere and great night life. It is two hours from malaga and 3 from Madrid.
    I followed the team when I was there and they came in 5th inthe second division in Spain that year. They are local rivals of Cordoba FC.
    The year I left they opened a new stadium, almost went bust and got relegated to the Spanish Segunda B regional group 4. In Spain after the second division there are 4 groups in this '2B' divsion. The top 4 in each group play off each year for 4 spots in the second division.
    After 5 years of struggling to stay afloat, this year they are back and top their group after 4 games with 4 straight victories.
    http://marcawas5.recoletos.es/Estadisticas/LigaFutbol/Controlador?opcion=1&competicion=7&grupo=4&temporada=2008-09

I foresee a good year. Most home games are local derbies because of the nature of the regional group and next May should be party time around the City as the playoff phase kick's off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Wow. Pleasantly surprised to see that my suggestion of the Go Ahead Eagles has been getting some strong support.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement