Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards soccer forum adopt a team for the season

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

470_albino_air.jpgleffe.jpg

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

that photo is ****ing terrifying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Des wrote: »
    470_albino_air.jpgleffe.jpg

:pac::pac:

Thats scary.

/Mental note, Don't drink Leffe.

DSB wrote: »
    Genuinely think stuff like this is all thats wrong with football support. This isn't a support your local club rant or anything like that but the idea of just adopting a team for novelty purposes is a bit mad. I always thought supporting a club was about way more than that. Sorry if I seem like a buzzkill, but I get the same when I hear someone referring to as 'following a clubs results'. I mean whats the point?

Anyone who spents time on this soccer forum isn't really a 'following a clubs results' kind of guy I'd say (could be wrong). Everyone follows their own teams for their own reasons probably for many years. I think this idea is about all these various people being on the same side for once. Its in no way a replacement for supporting a team in a more relevant way, proximity/support from young age etc. Its just something extra. I'd like to see where it goes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Anyone who spents time on this soccer forum isn't really a 'following a clubs results' kind of guy I'd say (could be wrong). Everyone follows their own teams for their own reasons probably for many years. I think this idea is about all these various people being on the same side for once. Its in no way a replacement for supporting a team in a more relevant way, proximity/support from young age etc. Its just something extra. I'd like to see where it goes anyway.
    Hear Hear Jay Kay!

Btw Leffe is one damn nice beer :D

• Advertisement

Some of the Super Farmers so far.

Helmond Sport 19-09-08

Excelsior-Go Ahead Eagles 15-09-2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcAPSVPFR1Q

Go Ahead Eagles - FC Eindhoven (12-09-2008)

Go Ahead Eagles - FC Omniworld (29-08-2008)

Go Ahead Eagles - Fortuna Sittard (15-08-2008)

Genuinely think stuff like this is all thats wrong with football support. This isn't a support your local club rant or anything like that but the idea of just adopting a team for novelty purposes is a bit mad. I always thought supporting a club was about way more than that. Sorry if I seem like a buzzkill, but I get the same when I hear someone referring to as 'following a clubs results'. I mean whats the point?

I can see what you're saying but I think each to their own. if you don;t like it don;t be a part of it. I don;t think it;s whats wrong with football at all...we're picking a minnow to follow who 99% of football fans won;t know about. We're educating ourselves on a grassroots team and giving the board one team where we could start a thread without World War 3 erupting in the form of "United vs Liverpool", "LOI v premiership", "Mr Alan vs everyone" (sorry Al, couldn't resist) .... I think it will spice up the forum in a positive way, give us something different to talk about. Things like this can't hurt. Sure we could do with probably getting more into the LOI (which I'm considering doing, only problem is I don't have any allegiance to a team....) and grassroots football but it's not like we've all decided to unite and support AC Milan or anything.

But most of all it;s a bit of fun and something different. If you don;t like it or don;t want any part of it then just don't click on the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I never said for a second that the people only support clubs by looking out for results, I still think its the most pointless thing ever though. Kinda like reading the tv listings for programmes you've no intentions of watching or something?

I never said for a second that the people only support clubs by looking out for results, I still think its the most pointless thing ever though. Kinda like reading the tv listings for programmes you've no intentions of watching or something?
    Jebus dude no need to bring down the thread.

This is a pop shot I know but no one complained when you Pm'ed everybody last week trying to get ppl to use your forum.

Off Topic I know but I think this idea is ace.

I can see what you're saying but I think each to their own. if you don;t like it don;t be a part of it. I don;t think it;s whats wrong with football at all...we're picking a minnow to follow who 99% of football fans won;t know about. We're educating ourselves on a grassroots team and giving the board one team where we could start a thread without World War 3 erupting in the form of "United vs Liverpool", "LOI v premiership", "Mr Alan vs everyone" (sorry Al, couldn't resist) .... I think it will spice up the forum in a positive way, give us something different to talk about. Things like this can't hurt. Sure we could do with probably getting more into the LOI (which I'm considering doing, only problem is I don't have any allegiance to a team....) and grassroots football but it's not like we've all decided to unite and support AC Milan or anything.

But most of all it;s a bit of fun and something different. If you don;t like it or don;t want any part of it then just don't click on the thread.

Doesn't that completely contradict the idea of grassroots football? And I didn't realise that you were only allowed post in this thread if you were humping the leg of the idea?

• Advertisement

Mr. X wrote: »
    Jebus dude no need to bring down the thread.

This is a pop shot I know but no one complained when you Pm'ed everybody last week trying to get ppl to use your forum.

Off Topic I know but I think this idea is ace.

Hahaha yet again the 'only post if you've something good to say' brigade. I'll remember that one next time you post something negative too.

Hahaha yet again the 'only post if you've something good to say' brigade. I'll remember that one next time you post something negative too.
    Nope but no one is asking you to be involved, no one is asking you to do anything, no one is asking you to pay for anything, I dont see why you would care?

Your one of the very few dissenters of the idea.

ITs a bit of fun on a forum, how about we do it on www.globalfootballforum.com?

Doesn't that completely contradict the idea of grassroots football? And I didn't realise that you were only allowed post in this thread if you were humping the leg of the idea?

Nothing like that but the negative things you are saying aren't true. What about those on here who support their local teams and are into this idea? Why do you care so much? People always focus on the negatives. I think of it as a positive for the reasons I outlines in my last post. Enough people like the idea so far, so why not leave us be. Sure sayin you don;t like the idea is cool, that's your perogative, but trying to belittle us all by telling us that we;re "whats wrong with football" is IMO crossing the line. I for one am a fan of all football played anywhere, this would be just another football project. I wouldnt be abandoning anything in the process. i'll still go see United whenever I can afford to. I'll still go to every Ireland game I can get a ticket for. I'll start going to LOI if I can pick a team (:o), this is just another outlet for soccer and a bit of fun in the process, and like a said, something fresh for boardsie soccer to talk about. Whats your positive idea for us to talk about?

Sure, you're entitled to post if you're not humping the leg of the idea, but really whats the point other than to attempt to buzzkill? Some serious "soccer people" in this forum like Des, dub13, Xavi to name but a few have supported the idea but your "grassroots" theory wouldn't apply to them. So what's your argument for guys like them?

EDIT: When the World Cup/Euros/Copa America is on, do you pick a team to support like 99% other people do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I just think if people have a problem with this thread or think it's stupid, then don't read it. I don't mean that in a bad way, but this thread can be a bit of craic. As as has been said before, it's a thread where everyone can get on and there doesn't have to be any trolling.......well, when i say get on, there'll probably be heated debates about whether the Eagles should play 442 or 352 etc. It's not like this is going to be the main team for people who already support clubs, it's a bit of fun.

I was thinking though, maybe GA Eagles are used to Irish or foreign people going to their games now and again if it's near Amsterdam whereas a team like Albinoleffe would be wondering what the hell is going on??!!!

"Mr Alan vs everyone" (sorry Al, couldn't resist)

am i allowed to pick the main rivals of whoever yous all pick just to maintain traditions? ;)

Mr. X wrote: »
    Nope but no one is asking you to be involved, no one is asking you to do anything, no one is asking you to pay for anything, I dont see why you would care?

Your one of the very few dissenters of the idea.

ITs a bit of fun on a forum, how about we do it on www.globalfootballforum.com?

I don't care that much, like I'm not going to sit up at night worrying about it. But I didn't realise I had to be staunchly passionate about every post I made on a football forum. Thanks for the advertisement by the way?

Nothing like that but the negative things you are saying aren't true. What about those on here who support their local teams and are into this idea? Why do you care so much? People always focus on the negatives. I think of it as a positive for the reasons I outlines in my last post. Enough people like the idea so far, so why not leave us be. Sure sayin you don;t like the idea is cool, that's your perogative, but trying to belittle us all by telling us that we;re "whats wrong with football" is IMO crossing the line. I for one am a fan of all football played anywhere, this would be just another football project. I wouldnt be abandoning anything in the process. i'll still go see United whenever I can afford to. I'll still go to every Ireland game I can get a ticket for. I'll start going to LOI if I can pick a team (:o), this is just another outlet for soccer and a bit of fun in the process, and like a said, something fresh for boardsie soccer to talk about. Whats your positive idea for us to talk about?

Sure, you're entitled to post if you're not humping the leg of the idea, but really whats the point other than to attempt to buzzkill? Some serious "soccer people" in this forum like Des, dub13, Xavi to name but a few have supported the idea but your "grassroots" theory wouldn't apply to them. So what's your argument for guys like them?

EDIT: When the World Cup/Euros/Copa America is on, do you pick a team to support like 99% other people do?

I seriously don't think you get the fact that I'm not referring to individual people or even people in general, moreso the notion of following a club's results. And people are definitely making way big a deal about this now than I ever was.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    am i allowed to pick the main rivals of whoever yous all pick just to maintain traditions? ;)

Haha I'll join your side, since I've become the black sheep of this thread. I'll even send you more Shels programmes.

I seriously don't think you get the fact that I'm not referring to individual people or even people in general, moreso the notion of following a club's results. And people are definitely making way big a deal about this now than I ever was.

If it ends up being just about the clubs results it will die pretty quickly. It will need at least some live matches, debate, formations, transfers etc to sustain.

Haha I'll join your side, since I've become the black sheep of this thread. I'll even send you more Shels programmes.

Mr Alan works alone :cool:

i actually read that Shels program you sent (or at least some of it)

• Advertisement

Mr Alan works alone :cool:

i actually read that Shels program you sent (or at least some of it)

Good, it wasn't meant as a cheeky joke. I genuinely thought you'd appreciate the gesture haha. Not as if Shels and the Pool are archrivals or anything.

there was a connection with the mancs during the 90's i believe? tut tut.

;)

there was a connection with the mancs during the 90's i believe? tut tut.

;)

Hahaha sure can't live in the past. If you're interested in more programmes I believe they're being sold at Tolka Park tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

monkey9 wrote: »
    I was thinking though, maybe GA Eagles are used to Irish or foreign people going to their games now and again if it's near Amsterdam whereas a team like Albinoleffe would be wondering what the hell is going on??!!!

That would be great craic. From the clips I posted it's easy to see that they get feck all support at their games. Imagine throwing a bunch of Irish lads into the middle of that with "Irish Seriani" on a flag. They wouldn't have a clue what was going on. :D

:) ha ha, wat is it with you and Des trying to kidnap me!

Hahaha I'll be there with my girlfriend and 5 year old brother so I reckon I'll be keeping the kidnapping on hold for once. But yeah I think we've gone far enough offtopic at this point haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Choose St Pat's. Get yourself down to Inchicore, the match programmes are free as well. What more do you want??

monkey9 wrote: »

Choose St Pat's. Get yourself down to Inchicore, the match programmes are free as well. What more do you want??

Sorry, I reckon its down to Bohs or Shels...though if you're convincing enough :)

Ill have to research that decision carefully and I know I'll end up (more) hated as a result of it!!

Choose Shels if you don't want to be surrounded by wannabe Football Factory teens, theres still a few even at Shels(mainly just the bigger matches), but it's terrible at Bohs.

• Advertisement

Choose Shels if you don't want to be surrounded by wannabe Football Factory teens, theres still a few even at Shels(mainly just the bigger matches), but it's terrible at Bohs.

Thats a pretty good argument to start with.....seriosuly. Hate that rubbish :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Burn the heretic!!!! :p

But seriously, just when I thought there was something we could all agree on, a spanner gets thrown in the works (albeit quite a valid spanner).

The way I look at it is we are simply lending a bit of support to a team that no one has any real ties to. I couldn't back St. Pauli due to their Celtic connections and I couldn't support an Irish team because I already do that.

The whole point of this is to find common ground where we can all club together and either be happy or disappointed when 'we' win or lose. It's a bit of craic.

The club themselves might tell us to feck off and be unhappy about it but I sincerely doubt that would be the case. When Sven took over at City, our forums were inundated with Swedish sign ups and it was brilliant having the craic with them. Now we have lads call Abdul and Abu coming on board. Bandwagon jumpers maybe but harmless fun. At least we wouldn't be jumping on a bandwagon with Go Ahead!

The bottom line is that if we pick a team, I don't think it will have an bearing on people supporting their local side. Those who think the eL is shite are still gonna think it's shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Just finished reading the last 3 pages. Get over it ya big bunch of negative nellies.

It's a bit of craic, something new to try. I don't see this in anyway replacing my support for Newcastle United, but as a means to engage in some banter and fun with a large group of forum members, who more often than not, are on opposing sides of an argument.

To those that are against it, there is a simple solution. Ignore it. But please refrain from slowing the process down, and sucking the life out of it, by trying to piss all over it.

I think the last 2 pages summed it up.

- Bit of fun

- Something to agree on, might liven up the forum too.

- A chance to learn a bit about a football club that we otherwise would be oblivious to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Zaph wrote: »
    That would be great craic. From the clips I posted it's easy to see that they get feck all support at their games. Imagine throwing a bunch of Irish lads into the middle of that with "Irish Seriani" on a flag. They wouldn't have a clue what was going on. :D

They play in Bergamo, which has a mediaeval hilltop walled old town, and Italy's biggest shopping centre - somewhere to leave the ladies while at the game.

Just finished reading the last 3 pages. Get over it ya big bunch of negative nellies.

It's a bit of craic, something new to try. I don't see this in anyway replacing my support for Newcastle United, but as a means to engage in some banter and fun with a large group of forum members, who more often than not, are on opposing sides of an argument.

To those that are against it, there is a simple solution. Ignore it. But please refrain from slowing the process down, and sucking the life out of it, by trying to piss all over it.

Exactly ^

For Christ sake it's just for a bit of fun & for once it would be nice if we all came together to support some team. Really would bring a new solidarity to the soccer forum imo. Like we'd still have the banter among rivals but if we are on the same page about a team it will help the forum I feel. Plus the people who want to be more hardcore about the idea can go over to whereever to watch a game :).

It really amazes me that some people can be so dry about a subject when it really is only for a bit of fun. The usual ''internet, serious business'' sydrome I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Go Ahead Eagles forum is here: http://www.gaeagles.com/digihome/

If youse need any help with translations, let me know.

Go Ahead Eagles forum is here: http://www.gaeagles.com/digihome/

If youse need any help with translations, let me know.

:):):) I think I fouled their website and they are watching me.

Er is een fout opgetreden ! Je account wacht nog steeds op goedkeuring van de beheerder.

You need to have your account validated manually by one of their admins. The first, automatic e-mail you get tells you this. The second one should have a confirmation link to your validated account. I can see the admin scratching his head in amusement as he trawls through a few hundred new applications!

You need to have your account validated manually by one of their admins. The first, automatic e-mail you get tells you this. The second one should have a confirmation link to your validated account. I can see the admin scratching his head in amusement as he trawls through a few hundred new applications!

Thanks for the translation, got the 1st email below and was trying to logon with no luck. will wait for 2nd.

Je registratieverzoek bij Digi-supportershome is ontvangen, ....

De gebruikersnaam waarmee je geregistreerd bent was ... en het wachtwoord was ....

Voordat je in kunt loggen en gebruik kunt gaan maken van het forum, moet je verzoek beoordeeld en goedgekeurd worden. Als dit gebeurt, ontvang je een andere e-mail vanaf dit adres.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Het Digi-supportershometeam.

Thanks for the translation, got the 1st email below and was trying to logon with no luck. will wait for 2nd.

Je registratieverzoek bij Digi-supportershome is ontvangen, ....

De gebruikersnaam waarmee je geregistreerd bent was ... en het wachtwoord was ....

Voordat je in kunt loggen en gebruik kunt gaan maken van het forum, moet je verzoek beoordeeld en goedgekeurd worden. Als dit gebeurt, ontvang je een andere e-mail vanaf dit adres.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Het Digi-supportershometeam.

LOl

I got that too. Username = KaG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

This will only make us stronger my fellow Eagles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think there is only one team I could support out of all the ones mentioned. Can you guess which one?:)

Will we be making a GAE sub-forum here and inviting our new Dutch mates over for a banter?

Holy Christ lads.....

Marc Overmars plays for our Eagles

ROFL

i thought there was a vote tomorrow before deciding wat team to go for?

Holy Christ lads.....

Marc Overmars plays for our Eagles

ROFL

Ya but he's 42 and has a beer belly now*

*may not be true, must check later

There is I think. seems to be a lot of support for Go Ahead Eagles but we'll see how it goes I suppose.

I wont be joining the GAE forum until the vote is decided but I will be voting for the Eagles!

That is true but our Eagles will be led to victory ! :P And if not I will bribe PHB to rig the vote :)

IDC if he's old! We still know this guy, I think this makes it even funnier. ''Go on Marc lad, chase that ball like when you were 25!''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lies! he retired initially because of a knee injury after his spell with Barca, and took up some technical director's role with Eagle's as they were his first club. but apparently he used train the odd time with the first team and he's still played the odd game at Testimonials where he would absolutely destroy current professionals. and after 4 years the coach of Eagles managed to convince him to go back playing professionally, although he doesn't train as often and doesn't feature as regularly because he doesn't want to aggravate the injury.

also he's 35.

• Advertisement
Advertisement