Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards soccer forum adopt a team for the season

Comments

Overmars has come back for us! We're gonna be a force this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Actually I withdraw my support, just seen that GAE thing, No way I am supporting them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Okay, I got this idea off an outside source (:D) whereby we take an obscure continental team (in their case its Córdoba CF of the Spanish Segunda division) and as a forum we support them as our honourary team for the season.

We need guys to nominate a team (no feeder clubs or sister clubs to English or Irish teams, we want everyone on the same page :pac:) and then we'll do a poll and decide who the official boards soccer team is for this season! We should try to pick a club that will hopefully encounter some drama, either through a battle for promotion or fight to survive. And if possible a story or something to set it apart. It can be a top flight club but in that case preferably a minnow.

Then in the spirit of learning, we try and learn a bit about the club, their players, its history, its ground etc etc etc and follow their results!!

So fire away with suggestions!

You won't get more drama than in Italy. Further to my first suggestion Albinoleffe, as we are now considering fallen giants in GAE (4 times champions) I offer 7 times champion of Italy, Pro Vercelli, now in division C2 (4th division) the most fallen of giants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Pro_Vercelli_Calcio

eagle eye wrote: »
    Actually I withdraw my support, just seen that GAE thing, No way I am supporting them now.

???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Is this a competition to see if yous can be bigger gob****es than the foot.ie eejits? :D

Picking a team to which you have no connection and supporting them through results and the tv? Sure 90% of yis are doing that already.

/me points and laughs

CiaranC wrote: »
    Is this a competition to see if yous can be bigger gob****es than the foot.ie eejits? :D

Picking a team to which you have no connection and supporting them through results and the tv? Sure 90% of yis are doing that already.

/me points and laughs

Thats borderin on abuse there buddy. We're having a bit of fun. If u dont like it dont post. Its more pathetic that you felt the need to come in and take the time to post that drivel especially considering you already posted a -1 type comment. Why come back again?

Now move along. If u were born minus a sense of humour thats your problem so please dont drag us down with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Another heretic. It's a bit of craic. If you're not interested then do one tbh. Don't worry, I won't be abandoning my eL team for GAE :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

/me points and laughs

Jez, its just a bit of craic nothing serious. :pac:
    straight up, did you kill santa claus

That bit right there. There is no way I'm supporting a team with that lettering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

/me points and laughs

I suppose you'll be going into the Boards fanstasy football forum as well, will you? Giving out about how that's not real football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

/me points and laughs

Your repeated attempts to be the Grinch just leave you looking like this tbh:

e09nj378jh2h2iwhm5b.jpg

Now, on your bike and stop being a pest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Great to have the team now.

I think we need to take 'official' steps now , with regards to registering for forums etc. Make a big impact. Even to the extent of buying the jerseys we should buy in bulk. Great idea. Soccer overseas beers here we come.

Sarge wrote: »
    Great to have the team now.

I think we need to take 'official' steps now , with regards to registering for forums etc. Make a big impact. Even to the extent of buying the jerseys we should buy in bulk. Great idea. Soccer overseas beers here we come.

Still has to go to the poll!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Poll will be up in the morrning.

Just understand that if you pick that team you will all be known as the gay boardsies. It might be spelled GAE but its the way you say it that will eventually become the name for you all.

Edit: Rushes off to find a more suitable name for a team to support.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    Poll will be up in the morrning.

That happens to me as well.

That happens to me as well.

What do you do with your one..?

What do you do with your one..?

3.gif

3.gif

Every morrning...I am impressed.I believe its a good Prostate cancer prevention method.

eagle eye wrote:
    Just understand that if you pick that team you will all be known as the gay boardsies. It might be spelled GAE but its the way you say it that will eventually become the name for you all.

Edit: Rushes off to find a more suitable name for a team to support.

Boards Eagles FTW!

U better be quick with your nomination, and make sure to give a synopsis of why we should support them!

3.gif
    This is exactly what I was talking about in the off topic thread!!

• Advertisement

Ok, here is another Dutch club. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Flash/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]150px-HFC_Haarlem.png
    Located 20 km from Amsterdam.
    Ground Capacity 3442
    Founded October 1 1889

I don't think we have to many teams with 3 nominations so far,I have to have a read over the thread again.If anybody else wants to do it as well feel free so we can double up on the list and make sure we don't miss any team.

I don't think we have to many teams with 3 nominations so far,I have to have a read over the thread again.If anybody else wants to do it as well feel free so we can double up on the list and make sure we don't miss any team.

I think I may have seconded more than one notion but Im voting Go Ahead Eagles anyway!

Wow was looking for something to put people on to Haarlem and I came across this.

Also they finished bottom of the League last season but are going a bit better this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i've read every post since my last tally. it didn't really change much. Weder got a couple of mentions to get them the 3 but that's it. oh and Cluj got another, but i think that means they are still on 2.

Albinoleffe (Zaph, nipplenuts, Third Echelon, Bastard Prince, RE*AC*TOR, therecklessone, monkey9)

St. Pauli (Des, Neil1984, Dave!, Stekelly, Sarge, therecklessone, eirebhoy, bohsman)

Go Ahead (KevIRL, Third Echelon, Mr. X, Dub13, therecklessone, monkey9, mcHugh, Kag, DeV, Im_No_Superman)

Panathinaikos (Des, Neil1984, CHD)

Corinthians (Xavi, Dave!, Myself)

Newell's Old Boys (Charlie, Neil1984)

Boardeax (Alan, Des)

Werder Bremen (Tauren, bohsman, luckyloyd?)

might as well make the Pool between just the big 3 there, Albinoleffe, St.Pauli and Go Ahead. it's pretty obvious any others will have no impact;

might as well make the Pool between just the big 3 there, Albinoleffe, St.Pauli and Go Ahead. it's pretty obvious any others will have no impact;
    I don't agree, while I have not put a thumbs up on any team, I am definitely not voting for any of the three you mentioned and I'd say that one other of those teams will get a good few votes.

i've read every post since my last tally. it didn't really change much. Weder got a couple of mentions to get them the 3 but that's it. oh and Cluj got another, but i think that means they are still on 2.

Albinoleffe (Zaph, nipplenuts, Third Echelon, Bastard Prince, RE*AC*TOR, therecklessone, monkey9)

St. Pauli (Des, Dave!, Stekelly, Sarge, therecklessone, eirebhoy, bohsman)

Go Ahead (KevIRL, Third Echelon, Neil1984 Mr. X, Dub13, therecklessone, monkey9, mcHugh, Kag, DeV)

Boardeax (Alan, Des)

I'm in Team Go Ahead and out of St Pauli now so im editing that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm in Team Go Ahead and out of St Pauli now so im editing that!

Splitter.

Des wrote: »
    Splitter.

Damn right! I didn't realise St Pauli were so closely connected with Celtic when i thanked!!

Go Ahead Eagles Des, their jersey is beast, they're near the Dam, they're minnows, and look at the players they produced, what more could ya want.....

Okay they cant offer a Song 2 moshpit but maybe we can persuade them to change!!

Damn right!
    Go Ahead Eagles Des, their jersey is beast,
    Now that is GAE(Y)
    they're near the Dam, they're minnows, and look at the players they produced, what more could ya want.....

Same as Haarlem

Just a little edit. I forgot to add this :D

• Advertisement

I think Haarlem are in now. ;)

I don't agree, while I have not put a thumbs up on any team, I am definitely not voting for any of the three you mentioned and I'd say that one other of those teams will get a good few votes.

weak... join the bandwagon!

anyway, you probably have a point. i was just thinking to restrict the poll so that it gives information on people's second preferences. i.e. maybe GAE win the poll by 3, but 10 people voted for the much smaller teams that had no chance. then a run off poll of the big teams might actually show more people are inclined to vote for Albino when their first preference is removed or something, bit like proportional representation...

weak... join the bandwagon!

anyway, you probably have a point. i was just thinking to restrict the poll so that it gives information on people's second preferences. i.e. maybe GAE win the poll by 3, but 10 people voted for the much smaller teams that had no chance. then a run off poll of the big teams might actually show more people are inclined to vote for Albino when their first preference is removed or something, bit like proportional representation...

meh to proportional representation! 1 vote, use it wisely I say!

oh and people, please do what Neil did and quote + amend me post if you want to change your allegiance. it's taking me too long to read through all 400 posts in the thread to keep track of people's switching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Originally Posted by leninbenjamin View Post

St. Pauli (Des, Dave!, Stekelly, Sarge, therecklessone, eirebhoy, bohsman)

Go Ahead (KevIRL, Third Echelon, Neil1984 Mr. X, Dub13, therecklessone, monkey9, mcHugh, Kag, DeV, Im_No_Superman)

Boardeax (Alan, Des)

Another Eagle wannabe here, you dont have me on your list.

ignore this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ignore this post
    ok

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pretty sure that's the only time any of those teams will ever feature in a sentence describing them as one of the "Big 3". :D

Those Eagles fans are getting fierce cocky, just wait until the mighty AlibinoLeffe top the poll. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Zaph wrote: »
    Pretty sure that's the only time any of those teams will ever feature in a sentence describing them as one of the "Big 3". :D

Those Eagles fans are getting fierce cocky, just wait until the mighty AlibinoLeffe top the poll. :P
    Oh its on , on LIKE DONKEY Kong. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Albino Leffe for me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

powli !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Awww was just about to weigh in with this lot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cienciano_del_Cuzco

Mate is just back from Peru and got a jersey when he was there. Decent side for a peruvian bunch.

Any of the Go Ahead lads, change your sig so that the 'Make Go Ahead.....' is now linked to the poll page, i.e. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055385950

Its great the way my team was left out of the poll despite more votes than most teams that made it onto the poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Ok for me its

http://www.tsg-hoffenheim.de/index.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSG_1899_Hoffenheim

TSG 1899 Hoffenheim is a German football club based in Hoffenheim, Baden-Württemberg. In 2007, the club decided to adopt the use of the short form name 1899 Hoffenheim in place of the traditional TSG Hoffenheim

Image:TSG_Hoffenheim.png

index.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:TSG_Hoffenheim.png
    This team has absoloutely flown up thru the ranks.

Current squad
    No. Position Player
    1 GK Daniel Haas
    2 DF Andreas Beck
    3 DF Matthias Jaissle
    5 DF Marvin Compper
    9 FW Demba Ba
    10 MF Selim Teber (captain)
    11 MF Jochen Seitz
    12 FW Wellington
    13 MF Zsolt Lőw
    14 DF Christoph Janker
    17 MF Tobias Weis
    19 FW Vedad Ibišević
    20 FW Chinedu Ogbuke
    No. Position Player
    21 DF Gustavo
    22 FW Francisco Copado
    23 MF Sejad Salihović
    24 DF Per Nilsson
    25 DF Isaac Vorsah
    26 DF Andreas Ibertsberger
    27 GK Ramazan Özcan
    29 GK Daniel Bernhardt
    30 GK Thorsten Kirschbaum
    33 MF Carlos Eduardo
    36 MF Marco Terrazzino
    37 MF Jonas Strifler

And German beer is allways good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I have a bit of an affinity with Hoffenheim alright since they stole Carlos Eduardo (who i love) from under the noses of a lot of big clubs.

Now, a request;

Can anyone tell me the little club that is owned by a fashion designer? They play in blue and white kit with one colour swirled over the other, and use specially designed football boots again created by the designer. absolutely fantastic website as well. Have a feeling its a lower Italian club, but could be another country instead. Been wrecking my head all day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Too late, and they're too far away for a trip to a game, but I've just watched Chicago Fire kick Beckham's arse 3-1 in a packed stadium full of very noisy fans.

I'll be paying them a visit next summer I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah the Fire have some lunatic supporters of Polish origin AFAIK. Went to see them in Soldier Field a few years back and I got in amongst them behind the goal. Great craic.

Its great the way my team was left out of the poll despite more votes than most teams that made it onto the poll.

Its not a conspiracy,as I said on the other thread this one is huge and its possible I missed a team.Who backed your idea...?

• Advertisement
Advertisement