Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacktie returns problem

Options
  • 23-09-2008 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I posted this in personal issues but for some reason it was rejected or something, and did not get moved or anything.

The first week in august I rented a suit from Blacktie. I was due to return it on the 5th of august. Unfortunately, I got a phonecall and was told my father had had a stroke and could I go to the hospital. I went home, changed, packed a small bag, and went to see him. I have not been home since as he lives the other side of the country. A few days ago someone rang me to ask how he was, and mentioned it was a pity i missed the wedding. It was then I realised the suit was still at home and had not been returned. I rang their office a few times but no one picked up. I sent an email to them and have not had a reply. But i looked at their returns policy and the fine is 25 euro per day late. That means I owe them €1225!

I can make a day trip to dublin to return it but I don't really want to pay the fine. To be honest I would need to get a loan to be able to afford it.

What can I do? Maybe say nothing and just never use blacktie again? Any one have any more honest ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There are extenuating circumstances, so I'm sure you can come to some sort of arrangement. I'm sure €1225 is several times the actual value of the suit.

You need to contact them ASAP. Keep phoning until someone picks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

There's no need to further their loss, so you should give them the suit back, and I'm sure they'll be reasonable.

Post it back to them, insured and registered post as soon as you can.

Include a note explaining what happened. Hand-write it, and offer apologies.

If they want to pursue you, negotiate with them. They did suffer some loss, but only *some*. Be firm.

If they're being unreasonable, there's always Joe Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BarryTrotter

zenith wrote: »
    There's no need to further their loss, so you should give them the suit back, and I'm sure they'll be reasonable.

Post it back to them, insured and registered post as soon as you can.

Include a note explaining what happened. Hand-write it, and offer apologies.

If they want to pursue you, negotiate with them. They did suffer some loss, but only *some*. Be firm.

Where would we be with out joe duffy. The problem is it is in Dublin, and I am in galway, so i will have to go home to get it, so I may as well, drop it into them, but I am just wondering whether they will be reasonable or not. I am not very good with confrontations, so in a face to face situation I am likely to agree to anything they want. Would it be possible they will let me buy it for a sum of money not equalling the fine, but enough to re-coup some of their losses? That way i can send them a cheque and not need to worry about going home to get it.

If you don't want a confrontation, go back to Dublin, and post it back to them from Galway. Registering and insuring it will show you care, and the note will help also.

I think they'd prefer to get the suit back, and it'd be better for your pocket if they did. What they might charge you for the suit's 'value' and what it actually cost them also bear no relationship to each other.

An exchange of letters will also slow the whole thing down so it does not get heated, and you don't get talked into paying too much.

I mean, for that money, you could engage a solicitor to negotiate on your behalf. But it's BLACK TIE, not the effing FBI, ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BarryTrotter

Ok I got throught to them and they said if I get the suit to them tomorrow then money shouldnt be a problem. So I am taking an early train up to dublin tomorrow, go back to the flat, pick it up and drop it round to them. Maybe they are just happy to get it back. If this goes according to plan, I will be on here singing their praises some time tomorrow. If it does not, then make sure to tune into Joe Duffy tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I hate the way people resort to this kind of rubbish.

The company have a policy that people can see (and they posible agree to when hireing a suit) . The OP's personal problems are not really their issue and them looking for the money they are due is not worng or illegal.

Threatening a company with making them out to be evil on national radio when they have done nothing wrong is petty imo.

If the situaion was reversed and the company owed you €1225 and didnt want to pay, would it be ok for them to go to Joe Duffy whinging about the evil man tryign to take money off them? Or is it fair game on companies?

All this may be irrlevant because they may choose to set aside some or al of the fee though.

Srsly, if Blacktie decided to go after him for the €1200, that's alright because it's in the T&Cs? It's *legally* right, sure - but is it moral? That's where the bateing with the Joe stick rawks.

Not that I think this is going to happen, I was being sorta flippant.

Most people do the right thing, and the right thing - if Barry Trotter's story is true - is for the people in Black Tie to take the suit back and ask for their *actual* losses.

Srsly, if Blacktie decided to go after him for the €1200, that's alright because it's in the T&Cs? It's *legally* right, sure - but is it moral? That's where the bateing with the Joe stick rawks.

Not that I think this is going to happen, I was being sorta flippant.

Most people do the right thing, and the right thing - if Barry Trotter's story is true - is for the people in Black Tie to take the suit back and ask for their *actual* losses.

If it was the other way around would you be happy for a company to give you what they think your actual loses are or what your entitled to ?

It costs ya nothing to negotiate. Try it, it might work.
    (c) Bill Cullen, or someone, 2008.

I'm a moral person, I'd be happy for *me* to tell someone what my actual losses were. If they didn't cover that, (or refused 'fair play' in the technical jargon) then I'd be happy to unleash the attack lawyers.

Last time this happened to me, I ran up a silly bill in a local video store. Funnily enough, rather than lose me as a customer, and grateful to get back the tape, they gave me a stern look and charged me a tenner.

Of course, you may be on the run from the local council library authorities: I understand that my experience may not be universal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

but is it moral? That's where the bateing with the Joe stick rawks.
    It's not exactly moral, no - IF there was no one looking to hire out the suit during the time the OP didn't return it. In such a case then I would imagine they would be quite happy to forget the fine.

But BlackTie have to cover themselves with the fine as let's say they were relying on that suit to be returned on time as someone else had it booked for hire and it wasn't returned. Obviously the next customer(s) aren't going to pay the rental charge on a suit they don't receive. And - what if you were the person who was to have the suit after "BarryTrotter" returned it, for a wedding, only to be told - sorry, haven't got the suit back so not got a suit to give out to you! I doubt you'd be too impressed to say the least!!! In that case, I'm afraid it's the fault of the OP entirely...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Stekelly wrote: »
    I hate the way people resort to this kind of rubbish.

The company have a policy that people can see (and they posible agree to when hireing a suit) . The OP's personal problems are not really their issue and them looking for the money they are due is not worng or illegal.

Threatening a company with making them out to be evil on national radio when they have done nothing wrong is petty imo.

If the situaion was reversed and the company owed you €1225 and didnt want to pay, would it be ok for them to go to Joe Duffy whinging about the evil man tryign to take money off them? Or is it fair game on companies?

All this may be irrlevant because they may choose to set aside some or al of the fee though.

MODS: Please lock this thread quickly.

Stekelly has a habit of jumping onto threads and upsetting people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

syklops wrote: »

Stekelly has a habit of jumping onto threads and upsetting people. I asked a question, I got good advice and I acted on it. Issue is closed in my eyes. Thanks to Mr E and Zenith for your help.
    You haven't posted on this thread once though :confused:

syklops wrote: »

Stekelly has a habit of jumping onto threads and upsetting people.

God forbid I dont take the opinion of attacking people who have done no wrong.:rolleyes:

Anyway, people who get upset by what I write about their whinging on the internet need better thigns to do with themselves. (I'm guessing I said something you didnt like in a thread once?)

I'm not upset. But I do feel the ins-and-outs of the query have been thoroughly dealt with by the resident (erm, what's the collective noun?) 'murder' of internet tough guys, myself included. Better to continue the debate on morality in Humanities, where I can ban yez.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Why is Joe Duffy regarded as the be all and end all of issues with customer service in Ireland? I've never heard his show but I get his name mentioned to me at work a dozen times a week

anyway back on topic, the OP is at fault but if Blacktie are happy to accept the suit back and let you on your way without penalty then whats the issue?

krudler wrote: »
    Why is Joe Duffy regarded as the be all and end all of issues with customer service in Ireland? I've never heard his show but I get his name mentioned to me at work a dozen times a week

It's not. It's just used to threaten companies when people dont get what they want (whether they are in the right or wrong).

Unless you are completely in the right and the company are denying you something you are entitled to by law then these type of threats are bang out of order imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Ok I got throught to them and they said if I get the suit to them tomorrow then money shouldnt be a problem. So I am taking an early train up to dublin tomorrow, go back to the flat, pick it up and drop it round to them. Maybe they are just happy to get it back. If this goes according to plan, I will be on here singing their praises some time tomorrow. If it does not, then make sure to tune into Joe Duffy tomorrow.
    Blacktie have a place in Galway - they order it in Dublin, so you should ask them if u can return it to the Galway office in Ballybrit Office park beside Better blinds (near Western Motors).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Ok I got throught to them and they said if I get the suit to them tomorrow then money shouldnt be a problem.

So the OP gets on to Blacktie and Blacktie say there will be no problem, yet everyone is still saying go to solicitors, call Joe Duffy etc etc?????

What do some people want? Blacktie to bend over backwards to thank the OP for being a month late and to give the OP a thank you payment of €500?:eek:

I've dealt with Blacktie on several occasions and they have always been utterly superb on customer service even when the suit was back a few days late.

T&C's are there to protect both consumer & company, if a customer acts the bollix then a company will enforce the T&C's but if the customer is reasonable the vast majority of companies will reciprocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Used to work for Blacktie myself for 2 years. I wouldn't say the OP would have a real problem. That policy tends to just be to scare people into keeping to the dates. The OP might be charged a percentage of that, but shud be under €100 really.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mitsubishi1

Well any luck. How did you get on with Blacktie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement