Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building and Extension, Recommand a builder ( Budget is very important )

• 23-09-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Anyone any dealings with a crowd called *mufflers snippers*

Given us a great quote, Looks like a sole trader And member of the master guild, ( Mods sorry if this isnt allowed, PM if allowed)

Looking for a 26 Sq Metre single story extension no planning premission needed, Certificate of Compliance needed afterwards,

Any advise or builder Recommadations greatfully recieved ( Beter PM i think )

Getting quote in writing and Will go See Some of his other builds,

Am kinda new to this and dont want to get burned.

Cheers

R

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

PMs only please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Thanks Muffler,

PMs welcome ,thanks all

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 arcon

what did they based the quote on?

Well the Quote was about on average 12 to 25 grand cheaper that other quotes I was getting, maybe its just me, but some alarm bells went off in my head,

The extension is 15 x 19 So about 27 Sq metres,

Includes Extension to bathroom, Build Closet / Store room (out of the existing tiny bedroom )

Knocking down of back wall adding support beam and adding velux to existing
    main bedroom, Adding rads sockets etc, Double french doors to new Bedroom and single back door and Window to the kictchen part of the Extension, In he new kitchen add two veluxs and plumb kitchen for future new kithen install.

See attached might give you a better idea,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

are you based in Dublin?
    i'm just waiting plans for a 330 sq ft extension in Dublin which sounds pretty similar to yours, rough figures mentioned on an earlier thread were between 35-45k for builder's finish.

• Advertisement

Yeh Im in Dublin,.

Its a 285 Square Feet Extension , some wild quotes up to 64K, one 53K , most around 35 (+ VAT) to 45K,

This one is 29950 including vat,

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i'll PM you

40 - 50k sounds pretty reasonable- subject to finishes/drainage etc. ask builder to give you detailed description and brake-up an all works. new radiator can cost more than 500e, on the other hand, if its salvaged from other job can be quite ugly when installed in new extension etc. ask for floor,wall, roof finishes, insulations etc. make that that the builder didn't account for painted blockwork in your new extension. i'd suggest to get sb with at least some experience to help you.

Yeh 40 does Sound Resonable, But thats the top of our budget, but as Said Some were offering 64K and one 52K, so this one at 29K, 36K is what Were looking for really, so As to maybe loss some of the Cowboys, kinda Spooked me a bit, I asked him about material and hes using kingspan for insulation etc
    See were Doing a Lot of the work ourselves, The bathroom tiling and bath installation etc, The kitchen will be done later, after the build, painting etc inside will be done my us,

This is What we have asked them to do,

Removal of Stud wall in Main Living room and plaster, The Kitchen and sitting room are Currently one room spread across the Front of the house, We will be getting rid of the kitchen.

Stud wall build beside bathroom and knocked through to extend our bathrooms lenght by 4ft and plastered and some possible moving of plumbing.
    This will take space out of the current small bedroom which will become the bathroom Expension and the Rest of the space will become closet/Store room,

We Will be putting in a bath and will complete the rest of the work ourselves, ie: Tiling, Shower, Installing Bath,

3. Main bedroom currently in place, back end wall either removed ( for Metal beam across the back of the house) or blocked up window, Add velux roof window. Install 4 / 6 Sockets ( for PC equipement )

Built Closet/Store room As per images ( using up remaining space from back small spare room ) Radiator to be Removed.

Existing Conservatory to be knocked down, easy to Remove

Build extension out 15ft out by 19ft wide.

The Extension will be split in two Kitchen 8.3ft by 14.8ft long ,, New bedroom 9.5 x 14.8 long

For Extension We Will have in both rooms High ceilings ( no 8ft ceilings ) so downlighters more than Likely will be needed, plastering needs to be done.
    Kitchen
    Plumb kichen for Washing machine, Dish Washer, Sink taps. Install Single white PVC Windows and Door as per image. Electrical setups for
    Fridge, Cooker Dish Washer, washing Machine and 4 / 6 sockets at counter level,
    Installation of 2 Large Velux (2ft width each )

Bedroom
    Install radiator and move door From small hall at front of house and install here instead,

Move the year old Oil heating system down 15 feet to the back of the new extension and build small hut for oil burner,
    Install Double white PVC French Doors, Install sockets and Lights,

Last thing i need is a bad foundation or leaking roof, or worse, Seen and heard to many horror Stories and not be up on buildings its a steep learning curve,

:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Retain a professional to inspect all stages of the works, circa 10 site visits.
    He / she will ensure the works are up to standard and fully compliant. This should reasure you.

The extension is very small and only requires 3 new walls. I assume its single storey. It seems quite simple and straight forward. €30k is enought to pay for finished shell. Finishes such as carpets, tiling, timber floors, paint, Kitchen units etc will add greatly to this cost.

Check out his past work and speak to all his previous clients. (Get their phone numbers and speak to them when the builder isn't around)

By the way whats room 5 used for?
    Did you consider having the new kitchen off room 5 - maybe open plan. Then new bedroom would have door off hall instead of kitchen. Might work out better!

Good luck

• Advertisement

Sound Advise thanks

I have already said to him We need a Cert of Compliance,
    So an architect will cert that each stage is done to the Correct Regs , if Im
    not mistaken?

But if we Will go with him thats Exactly what I will do,
    Will it need ot be an engineer or architect or Surveyor?

Its single Story, ( the whole house is a small bunglaw )
    Room 5 currently is our main bedroom,
    It will become a spare room for quests + my office as I
    will need a bit of space for my IT gear etc, We considered
    having the kitchen were the bathroom is and along the Center of
    the house but its a very small house from the back of the bathroom to the
    Room 5 wall ( the hall ) is 8ft 3 inches, I would Rather not have the bedroom
    door not off the kitchen but the flow of the house just seems better this way

Plus Was planning having the Walk from the front of the house past the Loo
    Room 5 into the kicthen with out a door so you get rid of a dark tunnel effect hall way and then the kitchen, more light and its feels more open,

Im no architect or designer, but have Some experience with Diy and rennovations and stuff,

Thanks for the advise very much appreciated,

any more advice or info please Sent my way

R

Sound Advise thanks

I have already said to him We need a Cert of Compliance,
    So an architect will cert that each stage is done to the Correct Regs , if Im
    not mistaken?

But if we Will go with him thats Exactly what I will do,
    Will it need ot be an engineer or architect or Surveyor?

R
    sorry but you're lost me

You will need to retain a professional with full professional indemnity insurance (Architectural Technician, Architect, Engineer or Surveyor).
    You should agree full inspection fees including Certificates of compliance with Building Control & Certificate of Exemption from Planning Permission.

Room 5 will need a fire escape window if its to be used as a habital room / bedroom. Rooflights are fine for a study / office, but a window would be more pleasant - view of garden etc. Two bedrooms would increase the value of the property.

Is your existing house a terraced bungalow?
    (There does not seem to be any windows on the left side wall.)
    If its a semi-detached bungalow, consider moving bathroom between bedroom 5 and new bedroom - sort of en-suite or Jack & Jill bathroom!
    This would allow a window off room 5. Move new store to part of existing bathroom. Original store becomes part of new kitchen.

Result - new ensuite / bathroom / jack & jill.
    Larger kitchen. All doors off hall. Fire escape window from room 5.
    Bungalow is then a 2 bedroomed dwelling.

Even if you increase length of extension slightly, 2m or so, it shouldn't cost that much more (materials & labour) but it could result in a better extension.

Only an idea... all the best.:)

Thanks RKQ

Yes the bungalow is a Semi deteached, Left side is attached to another house,

Room 5 Will have a large velux installed,

The way the plumbing works on this bungalow,
    it all runs down the rigth hand Side of the house, Front
    Kitchen, bathroom under the Window and shore out the back

Moving the bathroom between room 5 and the new bedroom Im not sure if thats a viable plan, How Would moving the bathroom over there give room 5 a window? As there is the main hall through the house seperating the room 5 and the bathroom,. DO you mean replace the bathroom area /closet Area with the Kitchen? Hmm if only i could give an idea of the Space here,
    Its a very small bungalow and hard to get across the ideas of Size and space.

With The new bedroom Added this will Still be a two bedroom bungalow,
    Yeh Scared me now about this fire Escape stuff, hmmmm

>Even if you increase length of extension slightly, 2m or so, it shouldn't cost >that much more (materials & labour) but it could result in a better extension.

Strict Strict budget with Wildly all over the place quotes, I think are stretching already,

Im a confused bunny, have spend months going over drawings and different layouts, and this one came out the best and most Sensible,

Cheers RKQ Much appreciated, As said :)

All input welcome,

R

Glad to be of assistance, better to sort things now before work begins on site.

Here is a quick sketch, overlayed on your original. Maybe others might have positive comments or alterations, which would be welcome.
    I really got the impression that a mirror of this plan might work better. It would involve moving the existing bathroom but thats not the end of the world. Might be worth pricing the relocation of same.

All bedrooms require a fire escape window - thats a Building Regulation, so its law.

No offense but its a small extension and IMO a few extra sqm isn't going to break the bank. Its worth getting a quote.

Best of luck:)

Heres a mirror plan. The advantage is all the windows are on the side elevation.

K , update
    Have Redesigned the layout, Thanks To all for Advise, and Will update and image later on, ( havnt got it with me in work so)

Have had to got with What wa suggested and reverse the house pretty much,
    Brief idea for anyone who has looked at the images

Bath room to move to opposite main Wall,. Replaced by kitchen ,

Right side of the building, bedroom 1 added, ruffly 10ft x 10ft, window added.

Bedroom two ruffly 15ft by 10ft, and window double doors added.

Only thing Im worried about will be cost, All the plumbing runs the Lenght of the right side of the house ( will be ok with the kitchen now replacing the bathroom ) but the movement of the bathroom to the opposite side of the house, i think isgoing to Cost a lot, Any experience of it anyone?
    Cheers again All,

R

Hot and cold water won't be expensive as pipes can be put in ceiling.
    Biggest expense will be digging trench in floor slab for new wc waste pipe.
    It won't cost that much! It will be worth the effort.

Glad you had a rethink, at least you will have a two bed house.
    Don't think too much about the expense of a trench, How much will an extra bedroom increase the value of your property?

Good luck... will be interested in seeing new layout.:)

See Attached 2 ideas we have

R

Apologies for the Double (ish ) post
    This is what I think were going to go with, be both like it,
    It works Well all round and Fits all our needs,

now only if it dosnt cost an arm and leg to do,

Let me know what you think, (fingers Crossed it works :) )

R

• Advertisement

Big improvement.... just wondering what the long corridor is for?
    I'm assuming you want to go out to the back garden, which is fine, but on a small extension its taking up alot of valuable sqft.

I suppose this has caught my eye as its a small extension and therefore it must work. Every square inch is important.

I hope you don't mind but I do have afew positive comments (Please ignore if your mind is made up!)

Would ye consider maybe having a external door on the right side elevation?
    Maybe between kitchen & bedroom 1 - this could incorporate the utility / store. 1700mm wide minimum.Or you could loose the store and corridor and have a external door in the kitchen.

The remainer of the space could be for both bedrooms.
    The double french doors are a great idea - lots of light and easy access to the garden!

Do you need a store / utility?
    I'd consider buying a good quality attic pull-down ladder. The large new attic could provide storage.

I know it fustrating... lots to think about when designing.... especially as each decision is literally "set in stone" and costs you money. Still its worth exploring all ideas on paper before starting work.

I also believe that whats right for you is the right design. It must meet your needs and budget. Best of luck.

Heres an idea
    Propose french doors off bedroom & kitchen, into rear garden.

Thanks , The long Corridor is annoying me I muts admit,

However We need a Seperate way out the back instead of our bedroom, had enough of having to annoy house guests to get to the back garden as thats the way it is now, .

In such a small house yeh every inch is counting,

Door right side I hear yeh,, That will be the side of the house and we have a small side entrance Were the gate is at the back of the house. Also a door there faces our neighbors loo directly opposite, ( our loo faces theres, with our side entrance in between with there Side entrance same as ours,.)

Utility Store room, to be honest it would be one of the best things we Can add to the house Were space and Storage are in short supply, ( very short)
    we have a very small amount in the main living area ,that about it for short therm or the attic ( we have an installed ladder)

I like what yeh did on the image there, If only we were talking of a bigger Scale it would work, as that is its two small 9x9 ish bedrooms which dont work for us we want a nice size bedroom ( we have a large sled size bedroom which we love to much )

I would have to do a photo Session to give yeh an idea ,lol..

Again cheers for the comments and advise , it means a lot :)

R
    I

Hiya,

right after much redrawing i think we have a final drawing,

Let me know ,, Just wondering how much more its going to Cost,

Boo hooo,,, its just keeps climbing

R

Well done big improvement.
    It meets your brief, should come in on budget and is simple and practical to build.

You have provided 2 bedrooms, one with en-suite which will increase the value of the property. :D

Good design isn't easy but it can give great satisfaction when it works well.
    Most problems only have a few solutions and one solution that works well.
    Good design takes time, effort and commitment.
    Well done... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Retro-Fit

Dark Jedi,

Good first effort but have to say thats a nasty lookin corridor, considering you are going to spend up to 50k on it, wouldn't you think it best to employ a proffessional to keep the builder honest and ensure you get a space thats habitable. Is the architecture profession so inaccessible that people would rather risk havin a go themselves. I've seen lots of extensions where people self-built or hired builders, instead of tenders and contracts and to a man they would do differently next time. One building has a tiled roof on an 18 degree slope, it leaks constantly, the builder also didn't bother to insulate the walls, saying hollow block is as good as insulation.

Advertisement