Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone and prepay

• 23-09-2008 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hi this may have been asked before but if has i couldnt find it so apoligies in advance.

a guy is offering me a iphone to buy. does anyone know:

will this work with an o2 prepay sim?
    are the cost the same for an o2 prepay for calling?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

iphone 2g yes.
    iphone 3g don't think so, i haven't been following the unlocking process of it closely enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

If its the 1st iphone (not 3g) then buy it and unlock it yourself. Its easy, just download iliberty+ or ziphone (or another one called 'pwnd' or something) and click a button and it does it for you. I've been slightly out of touch with these since i did mine a good while ago.

You sound like an iphone newbie so here's a basic breakdown of what these programs do. They all unlock and jailbreak the phone.
    Unlock: allow ANY sim card in the world to be used in the iphone.
    Jailbreak: opens up the phone and allows you to add new apps, games etc - way better than standard iphone. When you jailbreak the phone an installer icon is added to the phone. Use this while connected to the internet (preferably WiFi) to download and install games and apps.

Oh yeah, check it hasn't got the recent firmware update before you buy. If it has, its a pain in the ass to downgrade and unlock again AFAIK - could be easier now though, hackers and crackers work daily on these things.

If it is 3G iphone then i don't think it can be unlocked yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

If it's 1st gen iPhone, Steer clear of ziphone, go with quickpwn (mac) or winpwn (windows).

3g has to be bought unlocked or used with a sim adapter, the latter can be dodgy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

If it's 1st gen iPhone, Steer clear of ziphone, go with quickpwn (mac) or winpwn (windows).

3g has to be bought unlocked or used with a sim adapter, the latter can be dodgy!

What's the story about the 3g sim adapters being dodgy. Are they illegal or just that they don't work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

CivilEx wrote: »
    What's the story about the 3g sim adapters being dodgy. Are they illegal or just that they don't work?

A lot of them don't work apparently or work partially (voice/text but no data for example) - there are reports of some variations that seem to be working for people in the main iPhone 3G thread.

3G iPhones can also be sourced factory unlocked from some countries that have legislation that prevents locking them to any network: Italy, Greece, Singapore and others I believe. I also think that if you get an O2 locked 3G iPhone (oddly enough, some people sign up for the contract, change their minds and then sell them), it should work with all O2 SIM cards, prepay included?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why does it have to unlocked to use a 02 sim? Its the same network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

BostonB wrote: »
    Why does it have to unlocked to use a 02 sim? Its the same network?

If it's an o2 Ireland phone it will take a prepay sim no prob, the only problem is getting someone who signed an 18 month contract to part with they phone!

Also I believe the way they sim unlocks work they are illegal! But I am open to corection on this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The OP wants to use a O2 prepay so hes doesn't need to unlock it.

dunno what the charges are for data on prepay though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement