Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doors

Options
  • 23-09-2008 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

I'm trying to replace some internal doors, but a company I'm trying to buy from are telling me that the dimensions of my current doors (29.5"W x 81.5"H) are not standard sizes and therefore they may not be able to supply the doors that I've ordered.

I'm measuring the actual door as opposed to the frame, mainly because the larger side of the door overlaps the frame on one side.

Can anyone let me where I should be measuring, and if the dimensions above seem that unusual?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi Spav

Your door width is pretty standard for ope you have its usually 2ft6" by 6ft6". The width is just 12mm off standard but your height is 6ft9" so not sure doors available in that size. Where are the originals from and were they off the shelf purchases (if you know) ??? To measure a door you take head of door frame to ground left and right, then door frame to door frame at bottom middle and top to give you an accurate average of width.
    Am interested to see who it pans out

Regards
    Builditwell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

spav wrote: »
    I'm trying to replace some internal doors, but a company I'm trying to buy from are telling me that the dimensions of my current doors (29.5"W x 81.5"H) are not standard sizes and therefore they may not be able to supply the doors that I've ordered.

I'm measuring the actual door as opposed to the frame, mainly because the larger side of the door overlaps the frame on one side.

Can anyone let me where I should be measuring, and if the dimensions above seem that unusual?

Hi
    All you need is a saw and a plane and a lot of hard work you need 30x82 door size by the sound of things by the way you can get 30x82 standard

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Do you mean that the door itself has a rebate down one side to let it out passed the rebate of the frame? Take a few pic's if you can and let's have a look..

BTW.. what type of frame to you have? painted or varnished..what type of door are you thinking of getting? e.g. Deal, Teak etc

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

Just an update on this, I remeasured the existing door last night and it comes to appx. 30" x 80" - the frame itself is a bit smaller as the door has a 'lip' on the top and sides. This may be the 'rebate' a few of you have referred to?

I was back onto the door company today and they're coming round to see for themselves.

Builditwell - I don't know the history of the doors I'm afraid, the were in place when the house was bought about 7 years ago. The house itself dates from around the late 1970s I believe, all the doors are of a similar set up - i.e. with the lip I described. It's a strange one alright, few of the doors really shut / stay shut properly.

Hotwheels - the frame is painted, but I'm getting raw doors (with glass), as I'm getting the whole house repainted including woodwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

spav wrote: »
    Just an update on this, I remeasured the existing door last night and it comes to appx. 30" x 80" - the frame itself is a bit smaller as the door has a 'lip' on the top and sides. This may be the 'rebate' a few of you have referred to?

I was back onto the door company today and they're coming round to see for themselves.

Builditwell - I don't know the history of the doors I'm afraid, the were in place when the house was bought about 7 years ago. The house itself dates from around the late 1970s I believe, all the doors are of a similar set up - i.e. with the lip I described. It's a strange one alright, few of the doors really shut / stay shut properly.

Hotwheels - the frame is painted, but I'm getting raw doors (with glass), as I'm getting the whole house repainted including woodwork.

The guys who are supplying the doors should be able to put the rebate in the new doors for you..if not its an easy job with a Router

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

The door you are describing is a ready fit door, that was used widely in the 70,s onwards, with a quickfit hinge, similar to the old sash dowel and socket hinges.

They were popular for being fast to hang, and you did not need to be too particular when fitting them, because the rebate on the door, and the one on the frame, hid any discrepancy of the fitting process. There is no reason why the door company cant replicate the door, additional machining is only an extra 5 minutes for each . A simple rebate is all thats required, 2 sides and the top.

Depending on the door type ( flush veneered or solid) there may be a requirement for a heavier slip around the veneered door, for the rebate, but your supplier will know this when he calls.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated.

Advertisement