Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Ploughing Championships 2008

Options
  • 23-09-2008 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody gone/ going? Traffic seems to have been bad anyhow today; bound to happen giving how near it is to Kilkenny. Think I'll head out Thursday. :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

im going tomorrow from galway,whats the best way to go and what time would a man want to be leaving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gauls08

going tomorrow,will let ya know what traffic is like. I'm coming up from kilmacow dont know if thats any use to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The backroads to the ploughing were pretty quiet today everyone seems to use the main roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Gauls08 wrote: »
    going tomorrow,will let ya know what traffic is like. I'm coming up from kilmacow dont know if thats any use to you...

i'll be on the road by then lol,i was hoping to find out tonight
    what time do they start at?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

hiscan wrote: »
    im going tomorrow from galway,whats the best way to go and what time would a man want to be leaving?

Three diff ways you can go, not sure which is best at all;
    1. Via Birr-Roscrea-Durrow-Kilkenny (likely to get caught in rush hour around KK itself plus all the other ploughing traffic
    2. Via Birr-Roscrea-Rathdowney-Urlingford-Ballingarry -Cuffesgrange, think tis signposted etc from Urlingford but not sure, prob handiest trasffic wise
    3. Via Limerick-CLonmel-Callan, longer and possibly more traffic delays espec around Clonmel.

I wouild try option 2. I would imagine least traffic and as far as I know it's sined from Urlingford. Might want to check some of the papers, they had maps and routes up. Safe journey!

4. Get as far as Tipp town-Cashel-Ballingarry is another option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Go Early early early...
    traffic was Backed up to Fox and Goose on Carlow road apparantly,
    i went by route 2, went nice and early, arrived at about 8:30 and there was no traffic at all..
    Congrats on starting the thread, i was going to start one, but there was no thread on it so i was wondering if it was an MCD event or something!! Lol

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Been watching the built up as I've been in and out to Kilkenny during the weekend, not going to attend the event though, its a great boost to the local economy around Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

hiscan wrote: »

you've prob left already as its a good 2 an half to 3 hours from Galway city to Kilkenny. Galway - Portumna - Nenagh - Thurles - Urlingford - Freshford - Kilkenny is the route I've driven for years and found to be the quickest, once you hit Urlingford you'll prob find traffic for the Championship but thats going to be the case no matter what direction you come in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I'm living just down the road from it stuck between two car parks. So I'm stuck here until it's finished! Went up to it yesterday. Nothing much to interest me but the weather was nice. Lots and lots of walking, it's huge.
    One tip for anyone going is wait until after dinner and you might get in for free (I did yesterday) Or be a bit cheeky and ask someone walking back to one of the car parks for their sticker.

I think e15 for a student is a bit steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

just drove over to Thurles and back and didn't meet any traffic at all. There's a tiny blink and you'll miss it sign in the middle of urlingford pointing people towards the back road to killenaule and from there I assume via Ballingarry which is a bitch of a road.

• Advertisement

I'm living just down the road from it stuck between two car parks.
    I think e15 for a student is a bit steep.

Yeah, they muct think we're made of moneys.. but my 11 and 14 yr old brothers got in for free!
    ztoical wrote: »
    just drove over to Thurles and back and didn't meet any traffic at all. There's a tiny blink and you'll miss it sign in the middle of urlingford pointing people towards the back road to killenaule and from there I assume via Ballingarry which is a bitch of a road.
    +1 Been on it too many times!
    ztoical wrote: »
    you've prob left already as its a good 2 an half to 3 hours from Galway city to Kilkenny. Galway - Portumna - Nenagh - Thurles - Urlingford - Freshford - Kilkenny is the route I've driven for years and found to be the quickest, once you hit Urlingford you'll prob find traffic for the Championship but thats going to be the case no matter what direction you come in.

i disagree, thurles - Killenaule route, less traffic.. same distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I had to go to Waterford this evening. There was some traffic jam on the ring road at near 9:00 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Had a look at it from the air today, I don't see what all the cafuffle is about watching some lads going around a field on tractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I went yesterday from Cork 1.75 hours journey took 4 hours left at 8am. I can't figure how anyone could say nothing interested them because there was such a variety of things there. We met a grumpy ignorant old man at the ticket office he kept saying my son was more than 12 he will be 13 next month I asked him if he wanted to see his birthcert what an idiot. €15 is very steep for students of 13 up. Anyone going would not want to go to the toilet as there is only one portaloo at each exit and anyone who used them told people not to use them as they were blocked and smelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I went yesterday from Cork 1.75 hours journey took 4 hours left at 8am. I can't figure how anyone could say nothing interested them because there was such a variety of things there. We met a grumpy ignorant old man at the ticket office he kept saying my son was more than 12 he will be 13 next month I asked him if he wanted to see his birthcert what an idiot. €15 is very steep for students of 13 up. Anyone going would not want to go to the toilet as there is only one portaloo at each exit and anyone who used them told people not to use them as they were blocked and smelling.
    ur expected to go like a farmer...find a ditch!!

My 14 year old brother got in for free :o

I wouldnt have used the entrance toilets either.

i got loadsa freebies this year!
    decent ones too, a good ruler, a luminous jacket, beat stickers..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

ur expected to go like a farmer...find a ditch!!
    Thats what I did, but thats grand as long as you don't need to fire dung or you are a woman.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Had to drive to Dublin on Thursday night, took me an hour and 30min to get past Kilkenny, something that normally takes 10-15min...fun fun
    expected as much :(

Advertisement