Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

neighbours have put windows in sunroom overlooking my garden

• 23-09-2008 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi,

My neighbours recently built a sunroom in their back garden with a pane of glass along the top (about head height) which overlooks my garden. Its about one foot in height and runs along the top of the sun room. Can they do this. There is a wall between the two houses which just reaches the bottom of the pane of glass. So they can only see straight out but not down into the garden. The problem is I can see the tops of their heads when i am in my garden. Also I can see in from my upstairs windows. They are an old couple, and we get on well, but they never told me they were putting in the glass when they origionally told me they were building the sunroom. What are the implications ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

To answer very simply - if the pane of glass/window is less than 1.0 metres from the boundary wall (it faces) they should have got planning permission to do this. From what you say is it on the boundary?

If you get on with them, you could explain your concerns and have a word with them and ask them to put in blank (spandrel) panels in lieu of glass.

If you wanted to you could contcat the local authority enforcment section and make a complaint. Just to note that I have seen enforcement proceddings for exactly the same situation where putting in blank or opaque glass was considered unaccepatble and the only acceptable solution was the building of a solid wall to replace the windows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 duracell

It's not on the boundry wall. Its about 18 inches from it. They said they needed it for light. And if I wanted them to block it up they would have to put skylights in the roof. I don't like this idea either but it is probably preferable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

18 inches is approx. 450mm - so planning permission should have been obtained/is required as outlined above.

You have the upper hand in discussing possibles 'opitions/solutions' with them if you are not happy with the situtaion as it exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

duracell wrote: »
    The problem is I can see the tops of their heads when i am in my garden. Also I can see in from my upstairs windows...... What are the implications ?
    Implications for who? You are them?

Im failing to understand the question you are asking or what you want to hear.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi,

My neighbours recently built a sunroom in their back garden with a pane of glass along the top (about head height) which overlooks my garden. Its about one foot in height and runs along the top of the sun room. Can they do this. There is a wall between the two houses which just reaches the bottom of the pane of glass. So they can only see straight out but not down into the garden. The problem is I can see the tops of their heads when i am in my garden. Also I can see in from my upstairs windows. They are an old couple, and we get on well, but they never told me they were putting in the glass when they origionally told me they were building the sunroom. What are the implications ?

so its not actually them overlooking you, but you overlooking them that you have a problem with...... are you a reformed voyeur?

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    are you a reformed voyeur?
    Nice one :D

Must have ugly neighbours!
    Sounds like they can't overlook unless they stand on a stool or something, simple answer is to ask them to fit net curtains or frosted glass if it's just light they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 duracell

sidthemeathead

you funny guy, did you think of that one by yourself muppet. Nearley fell off my chair at that one. Go have a rest now....

Muffler
    my problem is when I am sitting in my Kitchen or in my garden i see heads walking up and down their sunroom all day. In the evening time when they turn on the light it is very distracting so we have to close our curtains much earlier than usual and do not enjoy our garden view. The question re implications is this. I want to know what are my legal rights/remedies before I sit down and discuss the situatiuon with them. I just want to know in case they dig their heels in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

sidthemeathead

you funny guy, did you think of that one by yourself muppet. Nearley fell off my chair at that one. Go have a rest now....
    That little gem just earned you a week off.

sidthemeatheadI want to know what are my legal rights/remedies
    It wasnt too difficult to figure the reason behind this. Legal discussion is prohibited on this forum. Talk to your solicitor.

Thread locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement