Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

west of ireland radio is ****

• 23-09-2008 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

hi just came from london, im used too the wonderful choice fm 96.9 in london r+b hip hop soul and informative news
    firstly the radio stations i can pick up, spin and i102, the music is ****ter than ****, and then too make it worse, the adverts are **** and very very long THEN WORSE STILL, the chatting, the crap about womens fashion ( i am a woman but DAM) the total bollocks about total and utter bull****
    chatting crap in a total unintelligent way.. do i want too know what some bimbette was or is going to wear to galway races NO.. i fecking dont..
    or what arguement she had with a tractor too get her hair looking like that.. NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! SHUT THE F-CK UP

my question is,, are there any better radio stations that i can pick up in my car on the way too school in galway.. and does digital (DAB) work in the west?? and pirate radio PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, bring on some pirate radio stations.. r+b hip hop soul urban music..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

There is still no feckin DAB in Galway.Shocking in this day and age.Your better off listening to formal talk then the ****e music.

I even heard that DAB was aborted.Is this true boardsies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I see that you're making the assumption that r+b, hip-hop and soul music is good ? Like all music, there are some great tracks but there's an unmerciful amount of "hangin' with me homies" rubbish that simply doesn't transfer to this side of the Atlantic.

Also, "urban" music is just that - urban. Most of the west of Ireland isn't, with Limerick and Galway the only two major cities along with Sligo which I think is classified as a city, but it's a small one.

Mind you, I 100% agree with you on the bimbette / style / fashion / "celebrity" tabloid rubbish that passes for talk radio most of the time in Ireland..... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think i102 is brilliant. But then I'm in their target market of 18-30yr olds.

I don't know if you're English or not but I do think some of the humour on i102 would be lost on people not from the wesht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

cson wrote: »
    I think i102 is brilliant. But then I'm in their target market of 18-30yr olds.

I don't know if you're English or not but I do think some of the humour on i102 would be lost on people not from the wesht.

humour, would be good, drivvle that i102 is, is ****e..
    as for music.. rolling wid da homies is not the only r+b..
    johnny legend.. common, selena jonson, dam i would even smile too hear kellie rowland and that is pushin it.. ( beyonce no.. too far)

well i might have too give up make some banging cds, so i dont have too listen too the ****e..
    oh and the quote on humour lost on people from the wesht.. as far as radio goes.. wesht is right.. just stick the i in it ..
    does piss me off though this country has managed too maintain a fine blend of culture tradtion and the new, without so much errosion of standards and morals and i tip my hat too that.. but radio is a media medium that here seems too be in the stone age, and for thoose who dont know who johnny legend common or selena jonson is.. i rest my case,
    music isnt for the select few.. its for everyone.. and hearing damage from spin and i102 i think i will leave that too the select few. lol..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

You have some shouty gob for a woman!

Best thing is to do a scan on your radio while on your way to school and then you will know what's available.

"......music isnt for the select few.. its for everyone....." That's exactly what somebody who likes listening to Spin or i102 would say. What's this rubbish from Selena Jonson.

DAB isn't aborted, it's just nobody knows where to take it at the moment. DTT has taken center stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

and for thoose who dont know who johnny legend common or selena jonson is.. i rest my case,
    music isnt for the select few..

I think you'll find that both of them are 'music for the select few'. The west of Ireland is too small, population wise, to support commercially viable niche stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

hi just came from london, im used too the wonderful choice fm 96.9 in london r+b hip hop soul and informative news
    firstly the radio stations i can pick up, spin and i102, the music is ****ter than ****, and then too make it worse, the adverts are **** and very very long THEN WORSE STILL, the chatting, the crap about womens fashion ( i am a woman but DAM) the total bollocks about total and utter bull****
    chatting crap in a total unintelligent way.. do i want too know what some bimbette was or is going to wear to galway races NO.. i fecking dont..
    or what arguement she had with a tractor too get her hair looking like that.. NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! SHUT THE F-CK UP

my question is,, are there any better radio stations that i can pick up in my car on the way too school in galway.. and does digital (DAB) work in the west?? and pirate radio PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, bring on some pirate radio stations.. r+b hip hop soul urban music..

To be honest you don't sound like the typical demographic for the West programme directors. You sound like a class A candidate for buying an iPod and keeping yourself happy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Check out your options for wifi internet radio

some reading here http://www.reciva.com/

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

Same boat as yerself...totally agree about the radio esp those goddawful adverts. Many of the DJ's have contempt for the music they play and simply love the sound of their own voice. Buy an internet radio and never look back!!!:D

......and for thoose who dont know who johnny legend common or selena jonson is.. i rest my case

A little patronising there, aren't we ?

Especially since her name is actually "Syleena Johnson" :P :D

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    A little patronising there, aren't we ?

Especially since her name is actually "Syleena Johnson" :P :D

?? Patronising too whom??
    weather i spell her name correctly or not, how does that enter into
    me being so called by you patronising??

im merely using these boards too ask if anyone has more knowledge than myself about radio stations in my area.. im not being patronising or anything else too anyone , my personal taste is not spin, or i102
    that just makes me different from people who that is there taste..

patronising.. i could be.. should i start with the definition of patronising, so you can see if your correct.. ( now I AM being patronising

More Music wrote: »
    You have some shouty gob for a woman!

wow, i didnt know the internet had reached neanderthal cave men

oh sorry.. in your language.. grunt grunt,,. aggh agghh grunt grunt..

pps.. this is not patronising.. this is called sarcasum.. to neanderthal man.. sorry again.. grrrrr grunt grunt.. grrr aggg

thanks for all the helpful replys, most appreciated..
    just a note too say, to the flame throws on the boards, life isnt so serious
    and this is a light hearted post which i would love too have any POSITIVE input back.
    neanderthal comments and branding me patronising is a little too serious, but hey always makes me laugh how people get so personal and negative on a board, does make me wonder what there life is about..

life is a great mix and when the neanderthals come out, its a great laugh lol..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

I was referring to your use of expletives, *****, CAPITALS, spelling and a sentence that lasts for 2 paragraphs.

I was not castigating you for offering an opinion.

I'm glad the internet has reached cavemen also, I've had it for 10 years.

Did your band scan offer up any stations?

?? Patronising too whom??
    weather i spell her name correctly or not, how does that enter into
    me being so called by you patronising??

I didn't intend that post as the personal attack that you seem to have taken it up as - that's precisely why I mentioned that the post might seem "a little patronising" and phrased it back to you as a question.

But since you asked - yes, your post did come across as patronising; your statement "for those who don't know who [she] is....I rest my case" was at the very least a flippant dismissal of people with different taste to yours....plus the irony of the mis-spelling was impossible to resist; if you were indeed a fan of the lady in question, one would imagine that you would be able to spell her name.

I mean, I'm well able to spell "U2", and I wouldn't even describe myself as a "fan" :D

You certainly have a point in that there are LOADS of great bands and artists that are woefully served, with stations adding the latest Westlife or Rihanna tripe to their playlist - often without even listening to them prior to doing so - ahead of some excellent acts, but saying "if you don't know XXXX I rest my case" isn't going to endear anyone to your core (and somewhat valid) point of view.

Even without heading to foreign shores to find so-called R&B and alternative trendy-but-still-piss-poor tracks, there are HUNDREDS of brilliant acts here at home waiting to be "discovered" and / or get regular airplay: Nell Bryden, Neev, The Infomatics, Luan Parle, Failing Earth, Verfield, Vertigo Smyth, Wokajo, Joe Echo, Wallis Bird & Carla Merrigan to name but a few that I've come across over the past six months...

In fact, the only act worth it's salt that I've seen genuinely start to "make it" recently is The Script; hopefully they're the first of many......

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I didn't intend that post as the personal attack that you seem to have taken it up as - that's precisely why I mentioned that the post might seem "a little patronising" and phrased it back to you as a question.

But since you asked - yes, your post did come across as patronising; your statement "for those who don't know who [she] is....I rest my case" was at the very least a flippant dismissal of people with different taste to yours....plus the irony of the mis-spelling was impossible to resist; if you were indeed a fan of the lady in question, one would imagine that you would be able to spell her name.

I mean, I'm well able to spell "U2", and I wouldn't even describe myself as a "fan" :D

You certainly have a point in that there are LOADS of great bands and artists that are woefully served, with stations adding the latest Westlife or Rihanna tripe to their playlist - often without even listening to them prior to doing so - ahead of some excellent acts, but saying "if you don't know XXXX I rest my case" isn't going to endear anyone to your core (and somewhat valid) point of view.

Even without heading to foreign shores to find so-called R&B and alternative trendy-but-still-piss-poor tracks, there are HUNDREDS of brilliant acts here at home waiting to be "discovered" and / or get regular airplay: Nell Bryden, Neev, The Infomatics, Luan Parle, Failing Earth, Verfield, Vertigo Smyth, Wokajo, Joe Echo, Wallis Bird & Carla Merrigan to name but a few that I've come across over the past six months...

In fact, the only act worth it's salt that I've seen genuinely start to "make it" recently is The Script; hopefully they're the first of many......

things get lost in the translation of text, as opposed too speaking..
    if i came across as patronising, it was not intentional

i am going too attend a local music event at the end of october,
    it seems that roots reggae has reached galway ( IMPRESSED!!)
    so im going too a Rootical event at the black box in galway on 31st of october.
    as for scanning, all i found was spin i102 and rte 1 and 2.
    might need too invest in a internet radio and stop moaning really!! lol:)

oh and more music the gobby mouth lol.. im going too the rootical event all on my lonesome so watch the press lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

There is still no feckin DAB in Galway.Shocking in this day and age.Your better off listening to formal talk then the ****e music.

I even heard that DAB was aborted.Is this true boardsies?

Thats not true. DAB MUX is currently being trialed in the Dublin NE area of the country, Cork city and Limerick. The trials end in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

MYOB wrote: »
    I think you'll find that both of them are 'music for the select few'. The west of Ireland is too small, population wise, to support commercially viable niche stations.

Wrong! Look at similar sized populations accrioss the world -USA, Holland, New zealand etc. I met a guy the other day from Canada who was complaing about Irish radio choice. He came from a city the size of Cork with 3 rock stations alone!

Look at New Zealand, often compared to Ireland in population size, farming and the fact that we both have big neigbours with their media beaming in.

County Galway population 230,000 vs Dunedin population 115,000. Look what they have as choice:

FM Band
    89.4Classic Hits 89.4 - Adult Contemporary
    90.2 Solid Gold - Oldies
    91.0Radio One - Student Radio
    91.8The Edge FM - Pop Music
    92.6Radio New Zealand Concert - Classical Music
    93.4 The Rock - Active Rock and alternative
    94.2Life FM - Contemporary Christian Music
    95.0Tahu FM - Urban Contemporary
    95.895-8ZM - Hit Music
    96.6Radio Live - Talk radio
    97.497.4 More FM - Adult Contemporary
    98.2The Breeze - Easy Listening
    99.0Concert FM - Classical Music
    99.8Radio Dunedin - Oldies
    101.4Radio New Zealand National
    103.8Niu FM - Urban Contemporary
    107.7George FM Dance and electronica

AM Stations
    621Radio Rhema - Christian Radio
    693Radio Sport - Sports Talk
    810Radio New Zealand National
    900Southern Star/AM NetworkChristian Radio/Parliament
    954Coast - Middle of the Road
    1044Newstalk ZB - Talk radio
    1125Radio Hauraki - Classic rock
    1206BSport and Radio Trackside - Sports talk
    1305Radio Dunedin - Oldies
    1575Hills AM - Community Radio

Think you are missing out down the west on a bigger choice! Yes, alot of these are networked at certain times but at least people have a choice.

Advertisement