Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Coupe - 406 Coupe V 407 Coupe

Options
  • 23-09-2008 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭

Purely from an aesthetic point of view which coupe do you think is nicer the 406 coupe or the 407 coupe

I'm not looking for a debate on french cars or their relative merits I'm just trying to settle an argument between me and my friend

Included pics to help make your mind up

Thanks

th_85879_IMG_0276_122_1031lo.JPGth_85884_IMG_0278_122_98lo.JPGth_85888_peugeot-407-coupe-diesel-5109_122_31lo.jpgth_85893_untitled_122_211lo.JPG

Which is better looking 43 votes

Peugeot 406 Coupe
    0% 0 votes
    Peugeot 407 Coupe
    100% 43 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

wouldnt touch off either of them

BUT, if i was given one and i had to choose (from an aesthetic POV)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

ah the pinninfarina 406 if any other make had made this toyota etc. it would have been the bigest selling coupe ever!!!! could never understand pugs engine selection but lovely looking car!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Def 406!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

The 406 is a beautiful looking car.

Even more so considering what the standard 406 looked like.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Yeh when the 406 coupe came out, I swooned.

When I saw pictures of the 407 coupe, I cried. But. I have to admit that in real life, they look MUCH better than in photos and because they are rare and just so damn big, I always end up doing a double-take when I see one. Vastly over-priced though.

The 406 coupe has not aged well imo. C70 of the same era aged better I thought, in exterior looks only that is. The same era CLKs have also disappeared...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

406 looks dated now imo , defo 407

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

406 but would never buy a peugeot

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Definitely the 406 for me, and I think it has aged very well. I wouldn't subscribe to that "wouldn't touch a peugeot" bullsh1t either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Most of the Peugeot range has been hit with the ugly stick in the last few years. The 406 coupe was (and still is) a beautiful looking car. I thought the 406 saloon, 306 hatch and 206 (to a lesser extent) were very handsome cars in their time.

The 407 is fat, bulbous, awkward angles all over the place - just ugly. I was driving behind a 308 CC the other day... terrible looking from the rear end with the roof up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

406, every time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Even if I could afford a 407, I'd still choose to drive my 406. Parked up beside one the other day, almost the same colour of silver/grey as mine...while it's a nice looking, well equipped car, the lines and flow of the 406 and the whole character of the car put the new one in the shade... all those angles and feigned aggresion, but no poise, if you look hard enough it's like a 307 on steroids...oh and that front grille...it's like a basking shark
    One's a 4 seater Ferrari bodyshell, the other is a Peugeot :p : no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I think the 406 is beginning to look a bit dated. The 407 looks a bit fresher, but I'm still not 100% sold on the design of the front end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The 406 is a thing of beauty (let down by interior and engine imo!) while the 407 is uglier in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,447 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote: »
    I think the 406 is beginning to look a bit dated. The 407 looks a bit fresher

I agree. When the 406 was introduced I thought it was extremely good looking. At the time of the 407 I felt it was very good looking. I voted 407 but the comparison is not quite fair because the 406 is neither here nor there. It is not looking fresh, it's a bit dated. But it hasn't had the chance to become a classic yet either

I expect history to be kinder to the looks of the 406

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

406 coupe = beautiful
    407 coupe = fugly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

thanks everyone who voted and posted a comment also. Much appreciated

my friend told me he thought the 407 coupe was at least 100 times nicer than the 406 coupe. I told him he was wrong. I'm glad so many people agree with me that the 406 coupe is nicer.

By the way, that's my 406 coupe in the pictures in the first post. I absolutely love it and its my second 406 coupe. I will however never own a 407 coupe as I think the back end is horrific and there are too many buttons on the centre console of the dash (a pet peeve of mine) and I don't have a clue what my next car will be.

Thanks again for your replies

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I don't mind the back end of the 407, its the stupid shark face/big nose (see 207) styling that afflicts most recent Peugeots that pisses me off!

^ Ditto

the arse end of the 407 is about it's best facade...oddly enough I wound up beside one at the pumps in Drogheda about an hour ago and then passed a different one on the M1 on the way home...it's funny, you think a car is rare and then you see loads of them...maybe it's just that you notice them more or something...

As for my next car? A newer HDi 406 if I can find one...that new 307 coupe conceot thing that was on Top Gear a while back is a fine looking car too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm shocked the 407 got any votes tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'd be of the opinion that the back of the 407 is its best face. The front is not great.

Sadly the interior of the 406 lets it down.

• Advertisement

Only if you get saddled with non-electric cloth seats, the SE model is fine with heated leather...the headunit needs replacing though and the dash is a bit spartan but I like the speedo layout.
    Someone said the engine wasn't great...2 litre is definitely lacking in power, V6 and the diesel are supposed to be a lot better. All show and no go but it does decent milage and is supposedly a very safe car to crash in, should that be your thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ah ye're all very against the 407. I love it for some reason. Although the 406 is a smashing car as well.
    The firs 407 i saw was in silver and i've just fell in love since. I will own one at some point when they become very very cheap:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

unkel wrote: »

I expect history to be kinder to the looks of the 406

You're probably right. But I don't expect either of them to go down as an all time classic. The 307CC probably has the has the best chance of all modern Pugs. But the winner, for me, will be the 405 (205 GTi excepted).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'd be of the opinion that the back of the 407 is its best face. The front is not great.

I think the 407 coupe has too big an arse for my liking... sticks out way too much whereas the 406 coupe I think (again I am biased) has a lovely back end especially with the butresses going down either side

The interior of the 406 coupe is personally one of my favourite aspects of the car. The first coupe I owned had a red leather interior and has lovely chrome ringed speedometer's, etc. I will admit the cloth interior which comes on the S spec models is a bit drab but I really can't stand all the buttons on the dash of the 407 coupe/saloon. I prefer a minimalist approach to the dash and all the buttons annoy me.
    You're probably right. But I don't expect either of them to go down as an all time classic. The 307CC probably has the has the best chance of all modern Pugs. But the winner, for me, will be the 405 (205 GTi excepted).

I suspect you are right that they won't go down as an all-time classic but I disagree that the 307CC has any chance of being a classic. I think its one of the ugliest creations peugeot have ever created
    Someone said the engine wasn't great...2 litre is definitely lacking in power, V6 and the diesel are supposed to be a lot better. All show and no go but it does decent milage and is supposedly a very safe car to crash in, should that be your thing...

The first coupe I owned was the 2.0 Petrol model which I found plenty of poke in for a tourer... definetly not sports car material though but I don't think the coupe ever pretended to be a sports car

My current model is the 2.2hdi model which I find very economical and it possesses loads of torque. Again it doesn't set the world on fire for acceleration but it fits my requirements perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭podgee

I had a few 406 coupes - so I'm biased I suppose - I think Peugeot messed up with the 407 though.

I came across my first one recently on carzone and it's still for sale here http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ferrari/360/Replica/671107/ - it didn't look like that when I owned it !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

podgee wrote: »
    I came across my first one recently on carzone and it's still for sale here http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ferrari/360/Replica/671107/ - it didn't look like that when I owned it !

That one has featured in many a post here!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,437 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Love the 407 and the coupe is fantastic looking as well in the flesh.
    Was getting a new card and was going for the Peugeot 407 1.8 in the blue colour.
    Rip off dealer told me at least 3 months for the colour and the price would have increased by 500 and my car decreased by 500 so it would have cost me an extra grand for it.
    Told him to take a hike and went for the Nissan Primera SVE black model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

ottostreet wrote: »
    wouldnt touch off either of them

BUT, if i was given one and i had to choose (from an aesthetic POV)

if you ever drove either (and had any idea what you were talking about ) you'd realize how good a car Peugeot actually make and why idiots will be their ruination with closed minded idiocies failing to give them a chance.

came back because I forgot how stupid posts there are here.

this forum truly is awful.

OP - sorry - 406 - its still stunning but I like the 407 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I like the 407. Not that I don't like the 406 either, just prefer the 407.

For my sins I actually quite like the 406 saloon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement