Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdressers & Hair Dye

Options
  • 23-09-2008 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I normally colour my hair black with the €10 or so hair dye that you buy in the supermarket / pharmacy. I've decided this weekend to splash out and get the hairdresser to colour it this weekend as well as getting it cut.

Do the residents of the Ladies Lounge mainly get highlights or do people still get the full head of hair coloured? (I.e. will they wonder what I'm talking about if I ask them to colour all the hair black?)

Also what do you normally pay to get your hair coloured?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Morgase wrote: »
    I normally colour my hair black with the €10 or so hair dye that you buy in the supermarket / pharmacy. I've decided this weekend to splash out and get the hairdresser to colour it this weekend as well as getting it cut.

Do the residents of the Ladies Lounge mainly get highlights or do people still get the full head of hair coloured? (I.e. will they wonder what I'm talking about if I ask them to colour all the hair black?)

Also what do you normally pay to get your hair coloured?

I have gone back to black... after a few years of different high lighted shades...

I went to my hairdressers last week and paid €108 for a permanent colour, cut and blowdry...

Now they had to pre pigment my hair because I had blonde in it... So I dont know if that cost extra..

Anyhow It is all lovely and sleek and shiny, I have dark colouring.. Mr Quality loves it... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

*falls off chair*

I didn't know it was that expensive! Although maybe when one's name is Quality they have to do a really excellent job and have to charge more... ba-dum-tish! My hair is brown at the roots and black everywhere else so perhaps it would be less work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Nope, Quality had a pretty usual pricetag on the cut and colour from my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

You do get a WAY better result than when you do it yourself though; I think its well worth it tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I think you would mad to pay that money if you are only getting the one colour! I'd say colour it yourself, then treat yourself to a cut or a blow dry...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Leon usually does mine.

He knows my hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

Cadyboo wrote: »
    I think you would mad to pay that money if you are only getting the one colour! I'd say colour it yourself, then treat yourself to a cut or a blow dry...

If you are just going for one all over colour, i would agree with sticking to doing it at home. I always do mine with Excellence Creme.

The one time I got it done at the salon (cos I was going from blonde to brown) she said she would put a dark chocolate in and mix it with a lighter colour. I think she forgot the lighter, so I ended up nearly black, which I never wanted :mad:

I just always use a golden brown now and it comes out fine and then I go and pay for a really good cut!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

If it's just going to be black all over? Stick to the boxes.

For the love of God though, just apply the stuff to the roots rather than all through as that stuff makes your hair like straw, so don't keep applying it to hair already dyed, if you know what I mean.

Oh and buy an intensive conditioner and use it!

But it's normally over 100 quid for a cut and colour in a salon - even a half a head is around the 100 mark I think - so I wouldn't bother unless you're getting something fancy done, like having two colours on your head at the same time.

Nice and easy are doing kits now to just cover your roots.

Well I think now I will just do the usual and go DIY with the colour and get it cut at the hairdressers, seeing as it would just be the one colour.

I've used those root touch up things aswell Moonbaby, they are very good.

The reason why I was going to go to the hairdressers for the colouring was that it cuts out all the messing around at home - and going around the bathroom afterwards with a cloth trying to find all the little black speckles on the floor / bath / walls!

• Advertisement

Morgase wrote: »
    and going around the bathroom afterwards with a cloth trying to find all the little black speckles on the floor / bath / walls!

LOL
    +1

GeturGun wrote: »
    LOL
    +1

+
    +1

It just saves so much hassle for me.. Dye just goes everywhere on me..:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

My hair has grown too long to dye it myself without a lot of hassle and probably 2 home-dye kits. I know that you're not supposed to dye freshly cut hair; does anyone know how long I should wait to dye my hair after a cut? :confused:

Hmmm I haven't heard that one before.

I know that you should leave a gap between perms / bodywaves etc. and colouring.

I often get my hair cut and go home and colour it myself, and vice versa, with no problems (apart from the aforementioned black speckles on the floor).

I suppose I should also mention that you should make sure that there is no products on your hair like hairspray or mousse before you colour.

I find it takes best if I colour it the day after washing it, or the evening after washing it in the morning (note: I have greasy hair and have to wash it every morning).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Bah at Irish prices! I get highlights and a fantastic wash, cut, and blowdry twice to three times a year when I am back home in Berlin. It costs 66 Euro each time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭j0605

Does anyone know hoe to get black dye OUT of hair ?

Ive been dying my hair black for years so the build up is pretty bad about 8 months ago my hairdressed says it would not lift and it he tried it would be too damaging to my hair.
    well I've been leaving the dye grow out since then but just retouching my roots with semi permanent dyes but im really sick of it and just want all this black gone. :o

I was in that boat years ago and went to Zeba and spent 6 hours having my hair bleached and then getting a brown put in. The black was still in the ends for yonks though, it was only when I went for a big chop that the black finally went.
    (unfortunately i don't think there is any magic quick cure :(:()

j0605 wrote: »

Ive been dying my hair black for years so the build up is pretty bad about 8 months ago my hairdressed says it would not lift and it he tried it would be too damaging to my hair.
    well I've been leaving the dye grow out since then but just retouching my roots with semi permanent dyes but im really sick of it and just want all this black gone. :o

You need to grow your hair out... Just keep dying with semi permanent hair colours... rather than the permanents..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

wow! quality, i can't believe how much that cost! i usually do mine from the pre-packaged **** you get in supermarkets etc, but when i do get it... emmm... professionally, i get it done at the peter mark's training place in talbot street. always had excellent results, if you're getting dye put in iwth htem for the first time, there's a 24hr test, to make sure you're not allergic to it, so book n advance and ensure you're able to go in the day before your appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

this is probably a very stupid question, but ive always wondered..
    does dying your hair have any effect on the colour your natural hair will grow back as?

cause you never see people with light roots, generally just awful looking black roots out of peroxide blonde :p

just wondering cause my hair is varying shades of blonde, some bits very light (more at the front) & some quite dark, & my friend is trying to convince me to get highlights but im afraid of losing my natural colour.

sar84 your hair sound gorgeous, leave it as it is. Once you start colouring your hair, you kind of have to keep it up to keep it looking right. Sounds like you have natural highlights as it is.

Having said that, I've been colouring my hair for about 14 years now and it doesn't affect the colour of my roots. I've lot some lovely mousey brown (yuk yuk!) roots going on right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i dunno about gorgeous, but mostly im happy with the colour of it. some days id prefer it a bit more blonde but ive never put any dye in it cause im afraid itll get messed up. & usually a bit of sun (on the rare occasions we get some) lightens it a bit for me. the only thing is that the friend in question is a beauty therapist & always looks great & knows what shes talking about so im inclined to trust her opinion. she convinced me to tint my eyebrows & eyelashes & i wouldnt be without that now. so maybe the blonde highlights would look good.. but if i got them done once would it be something id have to keep doing? :confused:

hair seems much simpler (& cheaper!!!) if you leave it natural!

sar84 wrote: »
    hair seems much simpler (& cheaper!!!) if you leave it natural!

Now you said it yourself! If you really wanted to try out highlights, you can get hair dye in the pharmacy that is less permanent than even the semi-permanent (if that makes sense). Perhaps your friend can advise if that same stuff is available at hairdressers for highlights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭nataliehun

j0605 wrote: »

hey all!

Im a hairdresser! well x but still do nixers! ok to get black out of hair ...it all depends if it was a home hair dye or salon one..you need to know the make..you can get it stripped which is very hard on your hair and long and the ends will still still stay dark..Whatever you do NOT put bleach on it as it can cause colour lock and then it will have to grow out. in our training school we where always lookiing for models to do this on for free in the training centres..if you make an app there they might charge you a little but if you know someone training they can bring you in for free so ask around.

Colouring your hair does not affect new hair grown colour it just looks much darked i.e. if you are brown naturally have blonde highlights dur to the contrast in colour.

hair colouring is so expensive in salons.....but just be very careful with shop home colours they never turn out the same...unless its black your looking for...

If there is some way you can find out the number of the haircolour and pop into a salon supplies shop (most salons use Loreal) and get the right mixer for it (usully 20 vol) it should only be max €15...

Most salons will have classes after hours where all students are supervised and if a problem does happen they will fix it..(well we had too!) and its so much cheaper!!!!

lol

hope i helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

ive been dying my hair black using semi-permanent dyes once every 2-3 months.. my hairs in pretty good condition.. I really want to permanantly dye my hair black.. but will it leave my hair looking like straw? help!..:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭j0605

ive been dying my hair black using semi-permanent dyes once every 2-3 months.. my hairs in pretty good condition.. I really want to permanantly dye my hair black.. but will it leave my hair looking like straw? help!..:confused:

No! I have been dying my hair black using permanent colour for about 4 yeard and i have still very healthy hair, One piece of advice though, If I were you I'd dye it all over once and then just get the roots done as needed, If you keep layering the colour on the lenght of your hair it will be very hard to get the black out if you should ever change your mind and want to strip it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Getting my highlights in on Thursday - it costs me €160 including a cut...maybe I am getting charged too much but I like the salon and only get it done twice a year. I dont really wear makeup so it is my one indulgence. The hubby really likes my hair and knows the price but would prefer it longer but am working on that

Ps. Quality - havnt seen a photo of the latest hair but I do remember seeing a photo of you and you looked stunning, so keep up the good work!

I forgot to say - I went and got the hair cut and coloured for €75.

It was a lovely cut (think Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction) but unfortunately a junior girl was helping the colouring person to put in the colour and got some on my face.

The colouring person only spotted it after it had time to dye my face. I had great fun that evening explaining to people that I wasn't covering up bruises with the makeup, but had been to the hairdressers that morning...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

God ye the prices in salons are ridiculous these days. You really have to shop around to get a good price. I found a really good budget priced salon which I am very happy with.
    I do prefer going to salon to get my hair coloured, as I used to get colour everywhere - clothes, bathroom, you name it :p I get it done once a month, and its definitely money well spent.

Advertisement