Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

waxing board?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

:rolleyes:just wondering a few things bout waxing my board should i do it at the beach before i go in or at home??

also whats the best way to use the comb? should i use it after waxing?
    what does it actully do?? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

The wax will come off over time and so you may or may not need to wax the board every time. I usually put a good coat on a new board which lasts a few weeks and top up every now and again if it has come off. You will know if you are slipping off the board that its time to wax again. I like lots along the rails for grip but that is just me.

The comb is used to get the old wax off. Personally I think the combs are useless. Best to let the board out in the sun for a while and then gently use a paint scraper to get old wax off. Then apply new wax so the board looks nice and shiny again. Be careful not to scrape paint off though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

I should have said you can use the comb to loosen up the wax for better grip before you go in (Or to help when getting it off to apply new wax)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

If you use the comb spiky side of the comb this will roughen up the old wax again, and
    off topic but white spirts will remove wax like butter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Notch000 wrote: »
    and off topic but white spirts will remove wax like butter

Um- and destroy the finish on the glass.

Boiling hot water will shift the wax and not damage the board at all.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Kell wrote: »
    Um- and destroy the finish on the glass.

Boiling hot water will shift the wax and not damage the board at all.

K-

Sweet jesus, no. Unless you want to take the laminate clean off or cause bubbling in some epoxy.

A hairdryer on a low setting or leaving the board in a warm room for a while before dewaxing would be my preference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jimpc

You dont need to remove the wax. Its fine just to leave it there,

Get a crate in woodies for throwing your wet wetgear into, it'll save the back of your car/jeep getting ruined

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Here's a link as to how to de-wax and wax your board. It's not bad.
    http://www.essortment.com/all/waxsurfboardho_ncq.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

haha, got a comb with my wetsuit, and also with a pair of boardies I bought a while back - always thought it was a hair comb and wondered why they'd bother including it!!! You learn something new every day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

haha what a laugh!!:p

Advertisement