Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cost of work on car

Options
  • 23-09-2008 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I had my car fully serviced last week in Galway for €220. This is my first car and the first time that I have had the car serviced so I would appreciate if anyone could advise if the below quote is far too expensive for parts and work to be carried out as a result of that service. Thanks.

Car type Peugeot 206 1.4 GLX with 35000 miles. 2000 Reg. Bought second hand from garage in Jan 08 with full NCT and 3 month warranty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

will you just right out the thing I cant view it, I'll let ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

The price of parts seem about right but some of those tasks are normally only flagged during an NCT. For example brake hoses. I'd be seriously wondering why brake hoses needed to be replaced on a car that from reading your post appears to have just passed it's NCT recently enough???

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Plug wrote: »
    Not got Word, excel etc?
    quote.jpg

Total Net Amount
    Total Tax Amount
    Euro Total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nfoody

Thanks for that. The car was had its NCT at the end of January. Since this is my first car and I’ve been learning to drive, I've only driven about 2000 miles since January. Just think, apart from the cost and number of jobs which were picked up by this service that it seems a bit unusual for 2000 miles over 8 months to throw up all these problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Is that from a main dealer??? If I were you I'd get a second opinion on it..A good local Mechanic if you know one...
    Out of the whole lot if anything has to be changed I'd change the T-Belt& Waterpump etc...if the belt breaks its FUBAR for the engine...

• Advertisement

That's a hell of a bill. Did you have any problem with your gear selection??? If you didn't have any problem selecting gears, its hard to see why the gearbox linkage rods were replaced??? The timing belt isn't usually replaced until 50,000 Miles, some manufacturers also recommend replacing a timing belt every five years regardless of mileage, but usually the mileage is the basis for a timing belt change and you are clearly nowhere near that.

Two front bottom ball joints and two front shock absorbers, this all sounds a bit severe to be honest. Also, your coolant must have been dangerously low for 3 containers of replacement coolant to be required to top it up. As far as I know, the smallest bottle of coolant available is a 1 litre, so your car needed 3 litres of coolant??? I don't think your car would take much more than 4 or 5 litres to be honest. Three litres of coolant is more than a top up, did you have any overheating problems previous to this coolant being added???

Did you get a call asking you to authorise this work or when you got your car serviced did they give you a list with these tasks that were required on it or did they just go ahead and do this after your service and give you the bill below?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

in bmw in cahir co.tipp its 135 euro a hour

Hotwheels wrote: »
    Is that from a main dealer??? If I were you I'd get a second opinion on it..A good local Mechanic if you know one...
    Out of the whole lot if anything has to be changed I'd change the T-Belt& Waterpump etc...if the belt breaks its FUBAR for the engine...

There is only 35K on the clock??? I know that there is a school of thought that says that the belt should be changed every 60,000 Miles OR 5 years, whichever comes first, that is sometimes back up with a manufacturers recomendation, but typically mileage is the basis for a timing belt change and the OP is nowhere near the replacement interval on a mileage basis...

Sorry OP, I just realised this is a quote, not an invoice... I'd get a second opinion on all of this to be honest...

xbox36016 wrote: »
    in bmw in cahir co.tipp its 135 euro a hour

You can see from the invoice that labour is charged at 60 Euro/Hr...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Did the mechanic contact you for approval before doing the work or did you just tell him to give her the works no matter the cost? I would expect shocks, brake hoses and wishbone ball-joints to be still be in reasonable condition at 35k if that is the real mileage.

(Ooops, just saw D's posts above, he types faster than me :D)

• Advertisement

Darragh29 wrote: »
    That's a hell of a bill. Did you have any problem with your gear selection??? If you didn't have any problem selecting gears, its hard to see why the gearbox linkage rods were replaced??? The timing belt isn't usually replaced until 50,000 Miles, some manufacturers also recommend replacing a timing belt every five years regardless of mileage, but usually the mileage is the basis for a timing belt change and you are clearly nowhere near that.

Two front bottom ball joints and two front shock absorbers, this all sounds a bit severe to be honest. Also, your coolant must have been dangerously low for 3 containers of replacement coolant to be required to top it up. As far as I know, the smallest bottle of coolant available is a 1 litre, so your car needed 3 litres of coolant??? I don't think your car would take much more than 4 or 5 litres to be honest. Three litres of coolant is more than a top up, did you have any overheating problems previous to this coolant being added???

Did you get a call asking you to authorise this work or when you got your car serviced did they give you a list with these tasks that were required on it or did they just go ahead and do this after your service and give you the bill below?

That listing is a quote from the garage that carried out the full service. The work has not been carried out yet. The full service was carried out last week at a cost of €210. The list is all the jobs the garage highlighted which need doing.

I went into the garage originally with a problem with the gearbox and decided to get the full service done at that time. I know very little about cars so I though the service would fix some small issues if there were any but I wasn't expecting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

First of all, that's not a service. Your service cost, as you say Eur 220. That's reasonable. I'm sure people from Dublin etc, would only be delighted to get a service for that price......

What you've got there is a quote for ongoing repairs/maintenance. This is a fact of motoring life, for good or ill. It is not related to the service you had, and if ever anyone wanted one, this is an example of how completely useless an NCT is, as measure of the quality of any vehicle.

If, for example, you find the gearchange perfectly o.k., and if you can compare it to another one (try a Peugeot garage to test drive another one...;) ), and find it acceptable, then you don't need to do that.

If the timing belt has reached the 5 year mark, irrespective of mileage - change it. A new engine will cost you a lot more....again, this is a normal motoring expense in having a used car. You will get another 5 years, or 60k miles out of it - effectively, as long as you're likely to keep the car...

However, that may be Galway City hourly rates - hourly rates in my local Athenry garage is 2/3rd's of that - Eur 40/hr - and a lot of people travel out from Galway for that reason - and it's on the rail line, so easy to get to.

A 2nd opinion wouldn't hurt.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

There are two ways of looking at this:

(1) You paid 220 Euro for a service and this included a series of inspections that resulted in the list of tasks you were given, so you can be sure that your mechanic has been attentive!

(2) Having said that, its hard to see why gearbox linkages are being replaced in the absence of a problem selecting gears.

To be honest, I'd be getting a second opinion on that list of tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Darragh not to be disrespecting, but generally, its pretty hard to change a waterpump and not change the coolant....

Jonny303 wrote: »
    Darragh not to be disrespecting, but generally, its pretty hard to change a waterpump and not change the coolant....

Sorry, I'll grant you that one!

Darragh29 wrote: »
    There are two ways of looking at this:

(1) You paid 220 Euro for a service and this included a series of inspections that resulted in the list of tasks you were given, so you can be sure that your mechanic has been attentive!

(2) Having said that, its hard to see why gearbox linkages are being replaced in the absence of a problem selecting gears.

To be honest, I'd be getting a second opinion on that list of tasks.

OP said that they had a problem with the gearbox, so im presuming they ment selecting gears....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sorry, just re-read - so you do have a gearbox problem then ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Have a small one where the gear slips into neutral occasionally and I have to almost force it back in. that was the original issue. The service brought up all the other ones which since I have such limited driving experience, hadn't noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Just to point out,

00 car, 35K miles.

There is every possibility that it has a timing belf from the factory, so basically it has never been changed.

Timing belt has a month interval as well, and car is eight years old now, I would start to consider changing the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

As I see it the OP has two questions. Does the car really need that work and is the estimated price ok.

As regards the work being needed. There is nobody here that can answer that one. It is quite possible that it does need it, regardless of the recent NCT. A second opinion is called for here.

As regards price. The amount of time estimated is possibly a little on the high side, but only a little. The garage charges €60PH so the only way to get the work done cheaper would be to find a cheaper garage. Cheaper is not always as good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Plug wrote: »
    www.openoffice.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 tom1979

more to the point
    you bought a car in jan 08 and only did 2000 miles and it needs all that work done
    should you not return to the garage you bought it in asking why they sold you a defective car ???

tom1979 wrote: »
    more to the point
    you bought a car in jan 08 and only did 2000 miles and it needs all that work done
    should you not return to the garage you bought it in asking why they sold you a defective car ???

Good point. I have just emailed the garage where I bought it listing what was found to be wrong with it. I was assured by the garage when I bought it that it would be fully serviced and NCTd. Its amazing how their full service missed all of the work this other garage found.

nfoody wrote: »
    Good point. I have just emailed the garage where I bought it listing what was found to be wrong with it. I was assured by the garage when I bought it that it would be fully serviced and NCTd. Its amazing how their full service missed all of the work this other garage found.

Well you'd have to accept that the NCT also missed all these items which would be highly unusual. I'd be more inclined to think that the garage that generated that whopper quote for you are the problem... In a way they are just being thoughre I suppose. timing belt is due as is water pump assembly, you have gear selection issues, brake hoses, whatever, shocks, if they need to be done they need to be done...

You could argue that the timing belt was due last January on the basis of the age of the car and not the mileage. I've very rarely seen timing belts needing to be changed due to age and not mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

nfoody wrote: »
    Have a small one where the gear slips into neutral occasionally and I have to almost force it back in. that was the original issue. The service brought up all the other ones which since I have such limited driving experience, hadn't noticed.

I remember a puegot service mechanic saying that a change of gear oil may solve problems with car slipping out of gear. May be worth a shot although if you have difficulty getting back in looks like a different matter

any way you check the mileage of the car? as if seems to have a lot of issues for such a low mileage irrespective of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That said, I had the belt & water pump done on a Megane last week and it only needed one litre of coolant.

Anan1 wrote: »
    That said, I had the belt & water pump done on a Megane last week and it only needed one litre of coolant.

1 Litre of coolant + 3 Litres of water = 4 Litres...pay for what you get

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

1 Litre of coolant + 3 Litres of water = 4 Litres...pay for what you get
    Is it not possible to change a water pump without losing all the coolant?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Is it not possible to change a water pump without losing all the coolant?

It usually all comes out or most of it. Some mechanics let it out at the radiator because it is easier to collect up in a can of some sort. When you let it run out at the pump, it usually pisses all over the place...

• Advertisement
Advertisement