Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish dying one by one :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Cheers man always glad to help fellow fishkeepers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Jimkel, (sorry to hijack this thread lads) but what is your policy on stocking dyed fish?

Also, Any nice tanganyikans in stock at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Jimkel wrote: »
    Cheers man always glad to help fellow fishkeepers ;)

Do you sell small 2" tiger oscars? If so how much do they go for?

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Jimkel, (sorry to hijack this thread lads) but what is your policy on stocking dyed fish?

Also, Any nice tanganyikans in stock at the moment?

Hi, We don't and never will stock dyed fish. just some different moori and some lelupi's nothing special. African cichlids popularity has waned over the past few months although it should pick up again soon, thats the way it goes, cant get enough of them one minute and then no one wants em.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

There is a tank full of Parrot fish there now and they look dyed to me.
    I hope I am wrong though. Any shop that sells them is a disgrace to the
    Aquarium trade.

• Advertisement

There is a tank full of Parrot fish there now and they look dyed to me.
    I hope I am wrong though. Any shop that sells them is a disgrace to the
    Aquarium trade.

I am pleased to tell you that you are wrong ;), They are normal red parrots http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Cichli1750.jpg, not dyed. These parrots are a hybrid of the red Devil - Amphilophus labiatus http://www.aqua-fish.net/imgs/fish/red-devil-cichlid-profile.jpg and the red severum - Heros severus http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebindex/CichlidPIX/Red%20Severums%20IZOO%2008%20(1).JPG hence the red colour. Their are green parrots aswell, these are a hybrid of the green severum and the red devil also not dyed. Any other coloured parrot is dyed such as blue, yellow etc, these we do not and never will sell, hope I cleared that up for you, I am also of the opinion that the dyeing fish is a disgrace to the hobby and have a strong ethical approach to fishkeeping.

I am glad that they are not dyed.
    Personally I would like to see them gone completely from the trade but not
    selling the dyed ones is a good start.
    Keep up the good work.

I do agree but at the same time you must take into acount the most popular fish in the world is also man made, the domestic goldfish and all variaties of the goldfish. are these a disgrace to the hobby aswell? Also the use of hormones to stimulate fish to breed that would not normally do so is wide spread in marine variaties and also clown loach, their is also the flowerhorn, another popular hybrid. The aquarium hobby will never be about natural fish as long as these are sold too. Is this really a bad thing? unfortunatly with so many species becoming extinct in the wild at least they can live on in the hobby, even if it is only in hybrid form. It's an interesting subject and deserves an ethical discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Indeed there are hybrids in the hobby, just look at the crap that Glencrag pass off as "Misc Malawis", God knows what half of them are.

The main problem with Parrotfish (besides Dyed ones) are the health problems that a lot of them eventually get. The swim bladder is put under too much pressure and they end up being unbalanced/swimming upside down etc.

Jim, fair play to you for not stocking Dyed Fish, you are a credit to the trade.

There is nothing wrong with keeping a Hybrid in you home Aquarium once
    its healthy.
    Parrot fish are a different kettle of fish, pardon the pun. They have severly curved spines which as they get older put immense constant pressure on their swim bladders causing swimming and other health problems. They can`t even close their mouths properly.

On the Goldfish.
    Most of these goldfish are bred from natural selection. They are colourful,
    breed normally and are hard as nails regarding fighting disease and being
    in adverse water parameters. On the other hand you have the fancy Goldfish like Oranda, Lionheads, Bubble eyed etc. These should be outlawed too.

I also agree that natural stocks should be policed more to prevent against
    extinction. Thats why IMO petshops should encourage buying fish from
    local breeders. The odd wild fish thrown into the gene pool is a good idea too.

• Advertisement

I agree totally with both fishyfreak and senior willy here. Parrots have inherent health problems as do some fancy varieties such as bubble eyes, and poorly bred ryukins and Oranda's. It would be wonderful if enough local suppliers could be found to breed the wide variety of fish in demand, I personally would be very interested if someone approached me who offered tank bred discus or malawi's for example.

The unfortunate thing is that currently local breeders here in Ireland could simply not produce the fish required to meet the demand of the consumers, not unless a fish society put together a nationwide breeding program and worked in conjunction with the fish shops. That would in my opinion be an ideal situation, all fish bred here by society members, a controlled pedigree, a vibrant fish hobby in ireland and more educated fish keepers all round. For the moment I think Ireland is largely in the dark regarding fishkeeping, with a small percentage of excellent fishkeepers and a large percentage of hobbiests who just haven't got the interest or the time to further their knowledge of fishkeeping, We are decades behind the Germans, Polish, Czechs, and the east asians in our fishkeeping facilities, knowledge and pet shops.

Advertisement