Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Parking at / near C.I.T. ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I finished out there 2 years ago, but the residents can't do much when you're not parked illegally, just put up with the ramblings and rants, ask them where they live then say "Right if anything happens to my car I'll know its you". I got lucky though, some old couple never had any trouble with me parking outside their door so I parked there all the time.

What about parking over by Boston Scientific or Tyco (they're closing down soon anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

The 'shysters' in estates putting up signs are the ones who have been having their driveways blocked by even bigger, spotty-faced students parking their cars because they're too damn lazy to walk and expect to have their cars as close as possible.
    To hell with the residents whose estates were being turned into carparks - not to mention the roar of exhausts and boy racers flying through the estates with absolutely no regard for elderly people or young children. It doesn't matter if residents have no where to park their own cars, members of their families trying to visit elderly parents can't get near their parents' homes due to the cars dumped in the estates, emergency vehicles can't get in or out of estates etc etc.
    Car pooling seems to be non-existent among the student population. The area is blissful at the moment until CIT students, for the most part, clog the area up beyond belief because they think they should be able to drive to the door of CIT, or as close as possible.
    Sorry but your comments are not giving the clear picture at all. Perhaps you'll think of the 'shysters' in a different way after reading some of these insights from the perspective of the residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Since when , is it defo happening ? How will it work?
    Im out there in september on block release for 10 weeks just thinking of bringing my toolbox in and out of there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

there is one paid car park with barriers that are not yet working but i'd say in september they will be. dunno about any of the other car parks but its 3e per day and you need to hold your student card with RFID chip to the machine before it lets you in

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

As far as I've heard it's not going to be every car park in CIT so I'd say just get there that bit early to get a free space.

• Advertisement

Oh right i thought all the car parks were free its a few years since im out there. I dont mind getting in there early cause the traffic is so unpredictable in the bishopstown area after 8.15 am
    I live a few miles away in togher, left for cit at 8.10 most mornings out there for 8.25 then all of a sudden major traffic jams didnt get out there till 9.15 a good few mornings had to leave earlier .

As long as theres anywhere to park i dont mind. I got clamped in the estate over by fas last year.Even though there was no signage and no problem they held a mass clamping of every suspect car in the area just to shut up the residents. I remember a truck fulll of clamps arriving !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I'd like to think that the majority of cars in CIT are from students who have to travel to colleg, quite a few on my course are from Charleville, Youghal, Cobh and buses are less predictable than your own transport, particullarly if you're involved with sports or clubs.

However in saying that I lived in Edenhall last year and walked every day, leaving the car behind as it was so ridiculous to get a space. Clamping in Rampant in CIT, if yo can't get a parking space don't even chance it!! I saw a ridiculous amount of people drive to and from CIT everyday.... from Edenhall. i mean ffs that's taking the p!ss!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

I used to live with three FAS guys and every morning sure enough, all three of them brought all three of their cars to CIT. We only lived across from Parchment Square (a 2 minute walk from CIT). It's ridiculous. Surely it's quicker to walk?? :-D

If I was a resident from any one of the estates I'd be fairly p1ssed off if I had to struggle to find a place while it was being taken up by college students living two minutes away.

I don't think all the CIT carparks are gonna cost so I'd just get there early if you wanted to avoid paying.

As long as theres anywhere to park i dont mind. I got clamped in the estate over by fas last year.Even though there was no signage and no problem they held a mass clamping of every suspect car in the area just to shut up the residents. I remember a truck fulll of clamps arriving !!!

i'd put a grinder to that ****er. damn greedy residents

i would too except it was council clampers , and they stayed there all day watching the clamps , they knew every one of us had access to grinders hacksaws and 60 or so apprentice mechanics that would help out no bother so , they told everyone pay to get released by 7pm or they getting towed . Gardai came in all and said to me "as far as im concerned your car shouldnt be clamped , but i cant make them take it off" . ****ers be careful lads they do have clampdown days to teach a lesson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Gardai came in all and said to me "as far as im concerned your car shouldnt be clamped , but i cant make them take it off" . ****ers be careful lads they do have clampdown days to teach a lesson

how does that work? If they have clamped u illegaly then they should have to take it off. I would have taken a grinder to it then as the guards didn't seem to care.

I always park in that housing estate there by fas but i always park on the side where the big field is and not across the road outside peoples houses. someone put a post it note on my car window one time that said "do u not know the rules!". i dunno what rules they were refering to as I wasn't blocking anyones house or parked right outside there house.

I used to live with three FAS guys and every morning sure enough, all three of them brought all three of their cars to CIT. We only lived across from Parchment Square (a 2 minute walk from CIT). It's ridiculous. Surely it's quicker to walk?? :-D

If I was a resident from any one of the estates I'd be fairly p1ssed off if I had to struggle to find a place while it was being taken up by college students living two minutes away.

I don't think all the CIT carparks are gonna cost so I'd just get there early if you wanted to avoid paying.

Thats the really annoying part. Stupid tools like that who live 2 mins away bringing in their car and its not just a small minority either.

suppafly wrote: »
    how does that work? If they have clamped u illegaly then they should have to take it off. I would have taken a grinder to it then as the guards didn't seem to care.

I always park in that housing estate there by fas but i always park on the side where the big field is and not across the road outside peoples houses. someone put a post it note on my car window one time that said "do u not know the rules!". i dunno what rules they were refering to as I wasn't blocking anyones house or parked right outside there house.

Thats exactly where i was parked by the big green not across the road from the houses in nobodys way, every single car got clamped ones across the road from houses and ones not . I appealed the fine as well and i lost, there is no signage or wasnt when i was clamped warning of clamping, no yellow lines.

What they did us all for was this . If a car has to go over the center line of the road your an obstruction and can be clamped..........
    It was in a housing estate, there was no apparent centerline drawn on the road, If they enforced this on a daily basis cars in every single residential housing estate would be clamped

I know the garda did his best he got the council clampers to ring the head honcho so he could talk to him and he said he wouldnt take the clamps off as he was being pressured for months to do a crackdown in that area. Garda couldnt force them to take it off or he said he couldnt at least, and since the cars were being towed at 7 most people had to walk to a atm and get money out . It was the day before most people got paid so a few were broke and couldnt pay had to borrow and ring family to get it.

All im saying is they do clamp that estate every few months , i asked the fas teacher about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

towel401 wrote: »
    Would this be possible or even worth it compared to the new 3e per day pay parking?

Dude it's one little car park. Get over it. CIT still has more FREE parking than most colleges in the country. Just get up earlier.
    towel401 wrote: »
    this sucks, they always had free parking and as soon as i get a car they bring in paid parking.

See my previous point.
    parkerpen wrote: »
    The 'shysters' in estates putting up signs are the ones who have been having their driveways blocked by even bigger, spotty-faced students parking their cars because they're too damn lazy to walk and expect to have their cars as close as possible.
    To hell with the residents whose estates were being turned into carparks - not to mention the roar of exhausts and boy racers flying through the estates with absolutely no regard for elderly people or young children. It doesn't matter if residents have no where to park their own cars, members of their families trying to visit elderly parents can't get near their parents' homes due to the cars dumped in the estates, emergency vehicles can't get in or out of estates etc etc.
    Car pooling seems to be non-existent among the student population. The area is blissful at the moment until CIT students, for the most part, clog the area up beyond belief because they think they should be able to drive to the door of CIT, or as close as possible.
    Sorry but your comments are not giving the clear picture at all. Perhaps you'll think of the 'shysters' in a different way after reading some of these insights from the perspective of the residents.

Well said. +1 to that. We need to have respect for the residents too. I certainly wouldn't like to be living near some of the gobshytes that CIT attracts. Can't wait to be done with the place. Final year thankfully.

Dude it's one little car park. Get over it. CIT still has more FREE parking than most colleges in the country. Just get up earlier.

oh rly? I thought they would all be paid car parks eventually

so that one little car park is the "Cafe Fraiche" of car parks?

Ya thats a bit messed up alright. What time of the yr was it when they did the clamped down? Hopefully my classes are early this yr so i can get a spot in the car park. Last yr all my classes were at like 10 or 11

It would of been october / november, god nearly 2 years ago now thats how long my block release has taken to come up . They started clamping at 12ish there were so many cars being clamped that they used all of theirs and a truck was arriving with more, one or two got lucky cause lunch at one phone calls were flying telling people to move quick and they will be back once enough phone calls are placed complaining .

Dankoozy wrote: »
    oh rly? I thought they would all be paid car parks eventually

so that one little car park is the "Cafe Fraiche" of car parks?

Pretty much yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Yeah the pay parking is only for the small car park near the astro turf pitch. Apparently the money generated will be put into financing park and ride services etc.

CIT has more than doubled the amount of parking spaces in the past few years and they cannot build anymore due to planning restrictions on the amount of spaces. It is a joke alright though how many students and staff that live within a 10-15min walk of the college that drive. Unfortunately I would presume that pay parking will be extended if it works out this year to be a money generator :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I'd like to think that the majority of cars in CIT are from students who have to travel to colleg, quite a few on my course are from Charleville, Youghal, Cobh and buses are less predictable than your own transport, particullarly if you're involved with sports or clubs.

However in saying that I lived in Edenhall last year and walked every day, leaving the car behind as it was so ridiculous to get a space. Clamping in Rampant in CIT, if yo can't get a parking space don't even chance it!! I saw a ridiculous amount of people drive to and from CIT everyday.... from Edenhall. i mean ffs that's taking the p!ss!!!!

Don't know what the world is coming to. When I was a student, I could drive but never did. I always walked and it was a hell of a lot further than from Eden Hall to CIT. It's no wonder the residents are weary from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

suppafly wrote: »
    Thats the really annoying part. Stupid tools like that who live 2 mins away bringing in their car and its not just a small minority either.

Yeah and it's all going to start again in the coming week. So many little ****es are not prepared to walk even short distances. If a car is available to them, they think they ought to be able to drive in the door of CIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

This behaviour is what is responsible for gridlock and delaying people who live in the locality who are trying to get to work! The concept of Park & Ride has been mooted for years but it ain't happening. Just wonder if there's any chance of it now that we are in a recession? Will the residents have to continue to suffer indefinitely?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

parkerpen wrote: »

I live up beside centra and at the minute all the families are blocking my entrance collecting their kids, kids throwing rubbish over my wall etc etc. So maybe if ye showed respect outside your own estate it might be returned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 HumpM

As a some may know Leesdale is now more or less covered in double yellow lines

Do Not park on em and think you will get away with it

Do Not put a wheel on the footpath thinking your doing good not blocking the road you will be either clamped ,ticketed or towed away costing you €160. I know of two cars towed away today

the corporation are hovering the place like buzzards since yesterday and will be for some time

HumpM wrote: »
    As a some may know Leesdale is now more or less covered in double yellow lines

Do Not park on em and think you will get away with it

Do Not put a wheel on the footpath thinking your doing good not blocking the road you will be either clamped ,ticketed or towed away costing you €160. I know of two cars towed away today

the corporation are hovering the place like buzzards since yesterday and will be for some time

In other words, Do Not park illegally.

will they ever build a ****ing multi storey car park and be done with this problem for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

will they ever build a ****ing multi storey car park and be done with this problem for good.
    I thought they were building one the last day but I was upset to see it was just a stand. We are lucky though with the parking as is compared to other colleges.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I thought they were building one the last day but I was upset to see it was just a stand. We are lucky though with the parking as is compared to other colleges.

Will things get much better after christmas. I think i'll go back to parking on the estates after the whole clamper + warning thing blows over

Couldnt believe it yesterday at 2 o clock not a single space to be found

Webmonkey wrote: »
    We are lucky though with the parking as is compared to other colleges.

Exactly. We have absolutely no basis for complaints about parking in CIT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

CIT has ample space to build parking locations but they are prohibited by the county council planning authority. In recent years CIT has more than doubled parking available and still cannot meet demand.

Its nuts when you can see so many students and staff living in Bishopstown driving to work each morning. It takes them over 30mins to drive in traffic and find parking if available when they could walk it in 10mins.

The clampers are going all out this week and today i saw a Taxi clamped on campus!

The SU have launched today a car pooling directory if anyone wants to join it:
    http://www.citsu.ie/car-pooling-list

Advertisement