Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Clubs In Dublin

Options
  • 23-09-2008 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Just started into the world of handgun shooting 9mm as an owner. I am just wondering if anybody knows where there are ranges/clubs in dublin and how much to join etc etc. Are there any clubs that will rent club gun for a fee to you when you go to club. Would be grateful of any advice on starting out as an owner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Just started into the world of handgun shooting 9mm. am just wondering if anybody knows where there are ranges/clubs in dublin and how much to join etc etc. are there any clubs that will rent club gun for a fee to you when you go to club

Not in Dublin. The nearest would be Hilltop in Newtownmountkennedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

rrpc wrote: »
    Not in Dublin. The nearest would be Hilltop in Newtownmountkennedy.

Whats bast website or shop for viewing/buying handgun

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

DJ, have you ever shot before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Whats bast website or shop for viewing/buying handgun

Oh! :pac:

I think you need to do a bit more research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

DJ,

You would sound like someone who has little or no experience in this area.

You best bet is to contact a club and speak to them. They will inform you of what you can and cannot do, in that club, and what the requirements will be for you to do it.

Handgun shooting in Ireland is strictly controlled. You cannot just turn up and shoot one here as if it was a spud gun at a carnival.

If it is a type of sport you are serious about getting into then I would recommend doing a basic safety course which will provide you with a good grounding. Again the club will be able to inform you of when the next course is available.

B'Man

• Advertisement

Have a lot of experience in handguns but have never owned one myself, will contact one of those clubs and see what they say. thanks for the help. I was told however that in some clubs once your with a registered member you sign in and can then rent and shoot club guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

In your first post you say you have just entered into the world of handgun shooting and later on you say you have lots of experience of handguns ? Do you mean 9mm only that you don't know about ?

I reckon if you have a lot of experience you would have probably come across a 9mm before now.

Lots of people willing to give advice and their experiences if they knew exactly what you mean.

Heckler.

Heckler wrote: »
    In your first post you say you have just entered into the world of handgun shooting and later on you say you have lots of experience of handguns ? Do you mean 9mm only that you don't know about ?

I reckon if you have a lot of experience you would have probably come across a 9mm before now.

Lots of people willing to give advice and their experiences if they knew exactly what you mean.

Heckler.

Your right heckler, it reads terrible, apologies. what i should have said was that i have lot of experience in handguns from working environment but have never personally owned one and am now entering into the world of handguns as a first time owner. new to buying it, joining club etc. again apologies.

Your right heckler, it reads terrible, apologies. what i should have said was that i have lot of experience in handguns from working environment but have never personally owned one and am now entering into the world of handguns as a first time owner. new to buying it, joining club etc. again apologies.

No worries dj. It might help if you could clarify your background so people could see where you are coming from. PDF, police, underworld gangster lol. About the only three where you might have handgun experience outside of being a legit civilian owner.

Heckler

pdf and garda

• Advertisement

pdf and garda

Are you exarmy and exgarda or exarmy and a serving guard ? Could have a bearing.

Way to go seems to be :

1. Join a club

2.buy a firearm and get the serial number

3. Apply for the licence.

Part three willl prob involve meeting your local firearms officer and pleading your case.

He'll then make a decision and either grant or not your licence.

If he does great, go pick up your gun. If he doesn't tough luck or appeal through the courts.

My 2cents anyhow.

ex pdf / serving garda

Then i would recommend talking to your local firearms 0fficer who you prob know !! State your case and see how it goes. Best of luck !!

Heckler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ned Muldhoon

I'd talk to the guys in your nearest club - see if any of them are from your locality and ask the pertinent questions. We have a number of serving / retired PDF and Gardai in the club and all have different experiences with the licensing system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

DJ

I would still recommend doing some safety courses through your chosen club. If your experience to date has been in "work" environment then the habits you may have developed may not translate too well to the "civilian" sporting arena.

Best bet is to talk to the club - they will organise a time for you to go to the range and have your range etiquette and handling evaluated with respect to the house rules - they may or may not be a lot more stringent than you are used to.

Then you will get some recommendations and can take it from there.

B'Man

Thanks a million, you have all been a great help, looked through yellow pages and have started ringing around clubs, so thats the first step anyway, have contacted local station also and am going to collect application form in next couple of days. i am definitely going to sign myself up for a safety course, sounds like a great idea and will hopefully teach me the side of gun clubs/sporting area.

Advertisement