Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info needed on minimum and maximum zero distance.

Options
  • 23-09-2008 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Rights lads looking for some info off yee mainly on minimum and maximum zero distance.

Was out last friday to zero in new rifle (cz 527 .223) and new Scope(Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30 x50)Anyway set target at 110 yards uphill with a safe backstop. Here is the set up I was using, Cz 527 .223, millet HIGH mounts, Scope as above 30mm tube, Harris bipod (9" -13"). Was using American Eagle HP 50 grain ( I think) and Sako Gamepiont soft piont 55 grain. Did not extend the legs on the bipod like to keep as low to the ground when zeroing the scope, find it more comfortable as well.

Anyway was happy with the American Eagles sub 1" group at 110 yards, was 1.5" high on the bull so happy enough.

So tried the Sakos next and for the first 6 to 8 shots the group was all over the place not happy at all, the group was as much as 3" to the right of the bull and 2.5" to 3" high of the bull.
    The groups started to tighting up then with one group were all three rounds were touching. I did notice that the sakos need that little bit more pressure to close the bolt,there was no problem with them feeding it just felt that there was a bit more pressure needed to close the bolt.

Anyway a few questions for yee, what will be my minimum and maximum zero when my rifle is zeroed at 1" high at 110 yards ?

Would different brand of ammo have that much of a difference in the change of zero. ( I know human error can come in to it but not on so many shots) ?

Has anyone else had any similar problems with the Sako rounds in relation to applying that little bit more pressure when closing the bolt ?

Thanks in advance RifleHunter...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

RH I use a CZ 527 varmint and the AE 50gr hp. Zero depends on the area you are shooting and your target. If you are shooting foxes at between 100 and 200 meters I zero spot on for 150. if you are daytime shooting at 200 to 300 zero for 200 but know you drop out to 300. I have found 250 is the best for the AE 50 gr Hp as they are a flat base and for long distance you need a Boattail base. IMO 2" high at 110 yards is to high for lamping foxes at 100 to 200 yards. The reason the sako ake the extra bit of effort to chamber is they have a longer "cartarge overall lenght" (col), you will find lapua 55gr wont chamber.

Ps. nice combo Mr. fox will be in trouble down your way, I'd love to know how you get on with the 6500. Went the leupy in the end for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

all the info you need is at Chuck Hawks
    He goes through every type of ammo imaginable including what you're looking for. The .223 stuff may be on the members pages, but it's only EUR4 to join for a month. I've done it (twice) and havent regretted it given the amount of info on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I had a CZ 527 .223. Zeroed for 185yds which covered me for approx 220-250yds using 45gr HP as I found this a safer round than the Sako 55gr SP.

(The 45gr's stopped within the fox where as the majority of 55gr's exited the fox).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Trojan were they the 45gr UMC in the yellow box ??

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

RH I use a CZ 527 varmint and the AE 50gr hp. Zero depends on the area you are shooting and your target. If you are shooting foxes at between 100 and 200 meters I zero spot on for 150. if you are daytime shooting at 200 to 300 zero for 200 but know you drop out to 300. I have found 250 is the best for the AE 50 gr Hp as they are a flat base and for long distance you need a Boattail base. IMO 2" high at 110 yards is to high for lamping foxes at 100 to 200 yards. The reason the sako ake the extra bit of effort to chamber is they have a longer "cartarge overall lenght" (col), you will find lapua 55gr wont chamber.

Ps. nice combo Mr. fox will be in trouble down your way, I'd love to know how you get on with the 6500. Went the leupy in the end for myself.

Sorry fish slapped that must of been a typo ment so say 1" high at the 110 yards. Thanks for the info on the sako and will no now to stay away for the lapua.. Will let you know how I get on with the Bushnell, i want try it out in as much conditions as possible first to give it the old thumbs up, on initial inspection the glass is very bright and clear. Its a shade fuzzy at 30 times mag but you will probably get that with most scopes at that mag. However you can still see the holes from the rounds and flies on your target, its great to be able to dial back down to 4.5 mag the action is really smooth to. I cant give feedback on it in relation to other scopes like Zeiss, Swarovski or leupy as I have not used them. One other piont we were able to zoom in on grey crow that we estimated to be around 700 to 800 yards away sitting a fence post and got to admit the picture was really quite clear, would of liked to have had a range finder for the exact yardage, but the old fella was with me and we agreed it was plus 700 yards.

RifleHunter

• Advertisement
Advertisement