Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT228-Year 1 Chat [mega-merge]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Roughly 85 people started with me 3 years ago.

Going into my 4th year there are 14 originals left with me.

Most people left after first year, then a few after 2nd and a small amount last year.

While the course is rewarding if you put the effort in, if your not going to bother attending lectures or working out the critical ones to go to you will be gone by this time next year.

In relation to the Games stream, while personally I didnt do it, if you are able to get into 3rd year with a decent grade average, your more the capable of doing that stream. If you do major in the Games stream and graduate, you will be a fully qualified developer accross all disciplined, not just Games.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eccentric Toast

Just finished 1st year its not too hard but need to put the work in have a few repeats hoping to pass but if not see yas in first year again :P LETS HOPE NOT!
    And if i do repeat im the Tall guy that looks like he is 30 with children and a wife but im only 19 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Joebits

Just finished 1st year its not too hard but need to put the work in have a few repeats hoping to pass but if not see yas in first year again :P LETS HOPE NOT!
    And if i do repeat im the Tall guy that looks like he is 30 with children and a wife but im only 19 :D

What u repeating? Problem Solving?

Joebits wrote: »
    What u repeating? Problem Solving?

YEP !!! :D

YEP !!! :D

Nice. Oh when do 1st years start again, what date was it last year? ;)

• Advertisement

delz0r wrote: »
    Yeh its a fun nice course. If you put in a bit of effort and attend every day its easy to pass. Bit daunting at the start but when you get in the swing of it its grand.

Just avoid the nerds and Sociopaths. ^^

VERY VERY TRUE
    Listen to this person
    And late September if i remember correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I sat in on a lot of the digital audio labs because the lecturer is bang on sound and knows a fair bit. While I'd like to say it's a good thing to do, everything I ever saw him teach (and this was near the end part of the year) was all stuff I knew all too well from doing it as a hobbyist.

You sat in on 1 lecture.

Digital Audio is a 4th year choice subject not related to any stream so you can do it even if you do Games Programming

Anyone know what the story is about having to repeat a year how many subjects am i aloud fail and still move into second year or do i gotta pass em all

And yes im aiming to pass them all just curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 g1rl

xxasdasdxx wrote: »
    Guys can you help me decide which is better computing or computer science? Computing is my first choice and CS being my second. Do you think they'd still offer me a place in CS if I don't accept the offer in computing?

Computing is DEFINITELY a level 8, dunno what your man is on saying it isn't.
    CompSci is more theory based and Computing is a lot more hands on.
    Computing has an optional paid internship (usually in IBM) for 3rd & 4th year and opt out points in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year.
    Computing also includes the CISCO CCNA qualification, which will be dead handy when you're out working.

It's really up to yourself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 g1rl

Anyone know what the story is about having to repeat a year how many subjects am i aloud fail and still move into second year or do i gotta pass em all

And yes im aiming to pass them all just curious

You have to pass all your core subjects. You can carry over 2 failed non-core's as far as i know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

g1rl wrote: »
    Computing is DEFINITELY a level 8, dunno what your man is on saying it isn't.
    CompSci is more theory based and Computing is a lot more hands on.
    Computing has an optional paid internship (usually in IBM) for 3rd & 4th year and opt out points in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year.
    Computing also includes the CISCO CCNA qualification, which will be dead handy when you're out working.

It's really up to yourself though.

Computer Science also has an optional paid internship in 3rd year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

orla wrote: »
    Computer Science also has an optional paid internship in 3rd year

True. And if I am not mistaken, Mark Deegan is in charge of both.

Only difference is that 228 is a straight 6 months, 211 is two days per
    week over 2 years. Looks good on the aul CV if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

delz0r wrote: »
    Yeh its a fun nice course. If you put in a bit of effort and attend every day its easy to pass. Bit daunting at the start but when you get in the swing of it its grand.

Just avoid the nerds and Sociopaths. ^^

arent you a professional gamer :D ? who you calling a nerd s or sociopaths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭davedrave

right what the hell should i learn for this maths test?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I'll be starting my 1st year this September, I look forward to it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Hows everyone donig so far?Are the repeat papers much similar to the orignal summer exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

what happens when i fail OS again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

conor-w wrote: »
    what happens when i fail OS again?

Best thing to do is go in with a positive attitude, study hard and use past papers (you'll find similar questions crop up a lot, etc.). Worry afterwards.

well its tomorrow so i'm kind of past that stage...

well its tomorrow so i'm kind of past that stage...

At the earliest that's 9:30AM, you have a full day's worth of study to go. If it's a case of "answer 2/3 questions" then you'll find repeated sections in past papers to help out.

Ultimately if you fail you can apply to the head of the school to carry the subject into the next year. Otherwise you may have to repeat the year.

• Advertisement

well theres literally 400 slides and the lecturer doesn't narrow anything down at all, it's the ****test subject ever.

well theres literally 400 slides and the lecturer doesn't narrow anything down at all, it's the ****test subject ever.

Any theory-heavy subject will have hundreds of slides, about 12-15 topics and a lot to sift through... but we all hammer through it!

yeah i know im not making excuses just having a general moan because i'm gonna fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I wish to God he didn't bullet-point everything. Makes this stuff very hard to wade through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Vikki T

hey do anyone know if anyone doing earl childhood education in DIT??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

So did anyone actually get anything about orientation and when classes are starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

no! when do we get timetables and all that lark? bit annoying, wasnt anything particularly useful in that glitzy golden pack.

no! when do we get timetables and all that lark? bit annoying, wasnt anything particularly useful in that glitzy golden pack.

You'll get a timetable in on the 16th hopefully, if not then the first or 2nd day you start..

There's a break from 11-3 on Thursdays if i can remember correctly ( there was last year anyway).
    Sucks Donkeys Vagina! !

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭falipo

You never know when you'll need a pen with a little flag in it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

falipo wrote: »
    You never know when you'll need a pen with a little flag in it...

I remember in my leaving cert class someone had those and wrote some stuff on them and had it taken away, at least I think there was soemthing written on them because it was taken away, therefore it may be useful for... that?! only joking! :p

Advertisement