Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT228-Year 1 Chat [mega-merge]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭GeeksRUS

Hey lads..i think orientation is on da 17th for CompSci students.. i just got me package..awesome lol
    had a free pen :L :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Joebits wrote: »
    You'll get a timetable in on the 16th hopefully, if not then the first or 2nd day you start..

There's a break from 11-3 on Thursdays if i can remember correctly ( there was last year anyway).
    Sucks Donkeys Vagina! !

Ye haha enjoy the 3-4 hour breaks...It just screams"Go home"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

Got my orientation stuff today for anyone thats curious its on the 16th starts at 09:30 and ends at 14:00 with two breaks throughout the day

Got my orientation stuff today for anyone thats curious its on the 16th starts at 09:30 and ends at 14:00 with two breaks throughout the day
    Whaddya mean 3hrs break? lol em i heard the course was rockhard tho...altho i got a B1 in ord. maths which i enjoyed i doubt i can handle the maths for compsci..hows it anyways? :)
    oh and i doubt if any gals applied lmao:confused::cool:

falipo wrote: »
    You never know when you'll need a pen with a little flag in it...
    lmao..i just noticed it has a flag.omg
    how ar d parties like in DIT? are they in campus or somewher in d city? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

GeeksRUS wrote: »
    lmao..i just noticed it has a flag.omg
    how ar d parties like in DIT? are they in campus or somewher in d city? :confused:

DIT itself has no bars or clubs since "the city is our campus" excuse is thrown around. In Kevin St. there's "shine" 2 seconds away but really you've the whole of the city to drink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

I think shine is closed at the moment or something , anyway has not been the same since they ruined upstairs .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I think shine is closed at the moment or something , anyway has not been the same since they ruined upstairs .

Only been in it once since it became "shine". Cornerstone ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

Only been in it once since it became "shine". Cornerstone ftw!

Sure it could be worse DIT was talking about quite a large bar/venue/club for grangegorman (if it ever happens) . But the sad fact was most on campus bars in colleges are terrible and empty for a large part of the year and lose lots of money.

At least in Dit your in the city so a fair few decent places to go , plus it show as dit societies like gigsoc for one , i know had alot more success on nights out in the city as our students are willing and use to going to different places , while other college counter part socs cant get people to leave their campuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

When do we get Repeat Exam results?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 LeotCol

So it looks like the orientation day and registration stuff is taking place on the 16th.

A few things in lecture theatres and then registration. Cool :pac:

That's weird.in da cd dey gave us it looked like DIT had its own personal stage for bands and breakdancing lmao..em so when do theses societies take place? i mean der loads of dem? i wanna join da gaming society lol and what not...:rolleyes:
    yep man on da 16th.....
    jeez cant wait.i hope i get the logic of programming lmao..wat language do u learn first? and how many weeks do u learn it for? oh and hows the lab for CompSci..wat do u der?
    sorry to many questions:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Joebits

That's weird.in da cd dey gave us it looked like DIT had its own personal stage for bands and breakdancing lmao..em so when do theses societies take place? i mean der loads of dem? i wanna join da gaming society lol and what not...:rolleyes:
    yep man on da 16th.....
    jeez cant wait.i hope i get the logic of programming lmao..wat language do u learn first? and how many weeks do u learn it for? oh and hows the lab for CompSci..wat do u der?
    sorry to many questions:o

First off, stfu.....
    lol i joke

Theres a Student Office Society place on the second floor of kev street, ask them, PLUS theres always free Condoms there...Happy Days..

You will get programming if u attend labs, do the excercises and also attend the lecture on friday morning, very important!

The Labs: Fine, no complaints , kinda like an internet cafe, just minus the cafe part. and ure not allowed use ure laptop in them or eat. ;)

and u said ' CompSci..wat do u der?'

Rephrase?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

really cant wait to start this! should be fantastic altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

First off, stfu.....
    and ure not allowed use ure laptop in them ;)

Rephrase?
    Ye we all obey that rule:rolleyes:

First off, stfu.....

and u said ' CompSci..wat do u der?'

Rephrase?

Condoms - very high expectations much? lool
    em i was wondering how tough d course will be with a B1 in ord. maths.
    How hard is Algorithm Design? Do you learn web design and programming?
    Do u learn computer forensics :L

really cant wait to start this! should be fantastic altogether.
    Yep I know...though i intend to spend time in the labs xD

haha whys that?

haha whys that?

Well many have this misconception that college is all about social life, so they forget the real reason they are there and lost that goal..when i was listening to that cd jeez i heard be "involved in social life" like 10 times and education once or even none..im not saying i wouldnt enjoy the social life in college..but i definitely wont get involved in everything 75% studyn 25% social life - even thats generous lol.. :L :L

Well many have this misconception that college is all about social life, so they forget the real reason they are there and lost that goal..when i was listening to that cd jeez i heard be "involved in social life" like 10 times and education once or even none..im not saying i wouldnt enjoy the social life in college..but i definitely wont get involved in everything 75% studyn 25% social life - even thats generous lol.. :L :L

you sound fun...:o

hahaha Im only joking, Im kinda the same, having dropped out of a course last year Im not making the same expensive mistake twice!!

comp sci seems to be a course that rewards consistency as well.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lowfat

did you drop out of UCD Arts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lowfat

and ure not allowed use ure laptop in them or eat. ;)

you can do both these

you sound fun...:o

hahaha Im only joking, Im kinda the same, having dropped out of a course last year Im not making the same expensive mistake twice!!

comp sci seems to be a course that rewards consistency as well.:)

Lol hell i know how that sounds...what major did you drop? :confused:..
    yeah i heard comp sci does - and no one seems to tell me what the course entails - how many dropped out of the course last year? i dont know..and i heard all the programming eventually gets outsourced to india..
    so wat the hell are we learning comp sci for? im interested thats the reason im studying it..if i dont get a job as a programmer or somethng...maybe software engineering..except i dont know if DIT covers the topic--will someone please write back :L :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Lol hell i know how that sounds...what major did you drop? :confused:..
    yeah i heard comp sci does - and no one seems to tell me what the course entails - how many dropped out of the course last year?Ans: Lots do every year, its a filter to get rid of the wasters. i dont know..and i heard all the programming eventually gets outsourced to india..Ans: Untrue
    so wat the hell are we learning comp sci for? im interested thats the reason im studying it..if i dont get a job as a programmer or somethng...maybe software engineering..except i dont know if DIT covers the topic Ans: You are required to take 3 semesters worth of it plus its referenced in other subjects--will someone please write back :L :L

Short point, dont be worrying about the type of job you can get if you graduate from Comp Science...

You will learn plenty of IT Skills that will cater for a vast number of professions.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Short point, dont be worrying about the type of job you can get if you graduate from Comp Science...

You will learn plenty of IT Skills that will cater for a vast number of professions.

Thanks man...but i thought IT was different from compsci - anyways i was wondering do we have big research labs in ireland based on studying computers extensively? Like CERN or something lol..i would love to work in a place like CERN

there is/was something in leixlip wasnt there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Lads, when do we start? I know we have orientation/reg on the 16th, but I dunno when we actually start DT228.

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Lads, when do we start? I know we have orientation/reg on the 16th, but I dunno when we actually start DT228.
    On the 21st .. um u have been registered since 2006? are u just starting 1st year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Yo thanks for that, yeah I'm only just starting. I've just been a member for a while now.

• Advertisement

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Yo thanks for that, yeah I'm only just starting. I've just been a member for a while now.
    Its cool..i dint know abt this until i got the pack lol...im guessing computer science? where u from? did u go to the open day? i prolly saw u der

Advertisement