Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT228-Year 1 Chat [mega-merge]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Yeah CSci, Bray, and nah I didn't go - I've never even been to Kevin St.

Looking forward to starting now since Summer has turned me into a complete waster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭GeeksRUS

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Yeah CSci, Bray, and nah I didn't go - I've never even been to Kevin St.

Looking forward to starting now since Summer has turned me into a complete waster.

Bray, pretty far away..lol same here, done nothing all summer..but right now im doing a bit of programming..i dont want to feel like a fool when we start lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Yeah, I've seen the first year modules and I'm pretty clued up about most of the stuff in there already. Yeah Bray's about an hours bus ride to there, not too bad though since the bus stop is right outside my doorstep.

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've seen the first year modules and I'm pretty clued up about most of the stuff in there already. Yeah Bray's about an hours bus ride to there, not too bad though since the bus stop is right outside my doorstep.
    You already know abt programming? how do u find it? Did u teach urself or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

GeeksRUS wrote: »
    Bray, pretty far away..lol same here, done nothing all summer..but right now im doing a bit of programming..i dont want to feel like a fool when we start lol

Just to say, don't worry about not knowing any programming before you start (i didn't), they will teach you everything you need to know right down to the basics. The course is designed to be accessible to anyone including those that rarely even use a computer

• Advertisement

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Just to say, don't worry about not knowing any programming before you start (i didn't), they will teach you everything you need to know right down to the basics. The course is designed to be accessible to anyone including those that rarely even use a computer

That's good to hear mate...but there is another thing - i have heard that the IT's are generally more hands on in practical than the universities. But how hands on are the practicals at programming in CS? is Computing not more practical in programming, as CS is mainly theoretical?

That's good to hear mate...but there is another thing - i have heard that the IT's are generally more hands on in practical than the universities. But how hands on are the practicals at programming in CS? is Computing not more practical in programming, as CS is mainly theoretical?

I can't speak for computing myself, but I think you're right in saying that we're more hands on and practical than the universities. It's pretty much split down the middle in terms of theory and practical, 50/50 i'd say. You will spend a good amount of time in the labs aswell as in lectures

I can't speak for computing myself, but I think you're right in saying that we're more hands on and practical than the universities. It's pretty much split down the middle in terms of theory and practical, 50/50 i'd say. You will spend a good amount of time in the labs aswell as in lectures

Thats cool man - thanks. Em is it possible to sneak into other lectures like biology or chemistry for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭falipo

Thats cool man - thanks. Em is it possible to sneak into other lectures like biology or chemistry for example?

With 20 something hours a week you probably wont want to go to all of your own dude...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

You can quite easily but you'll find it hard to squeeze it into your own schedule. Also, keep in mind not every lecture is relevant or interesting to everyone!

• Advertisement

falipo wrote: »
    With 20 something hours a week you probably wont want to go to all of your own dude...
    Sweet answer man...i'll have to be missing every monthly thursdays for a checkup in the hospital...and i wont be able to get back in time for the lectures...i'll be missing courses will a union help me catch up or something?

oh and what abt books? no one sed what books we might actually need...

Dude..while the IT's are more practical which is why i chose DIT..i heard that the companies will usually look at the university degrees first than the IT's is that true do u know? I heard something abt DIT havn university prestige...or something does it count in the degrees or smething?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

You've only started the course. Worry about getting a job in the future.

Dude..while the IT's are more practical which is why i chose DIT..i heard that the companies will usually look at the university degrees first than the IT's is that true do u know? I heard something abt DIT havn university prestige...or something does it count in the degrees or smething?

I'm not 100% but i think for many courses university degrees are probably seen as "better" but in terms of computer science and engineering type degrees i think we're seen as "better" in the industry because we have more practical experience.
    As for books, you won't need many for first year. In fact I think the only one you will need is "A guide to C programming" by paul kelly, which i'm sure you'll be able to get quite easily provided its in print, otherwise you can try buying second hand off a 2nd year. Apart from that, some lecturers may give you an optional book to get that they take their lecture notes from or just one that they recommend but tbh you probably won't need any extra books.

edit: as orla said, you really shouldn't worry about your degree at this point. Get through the course first and then worry about a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'm not 100% but i think for many courses university degrees are probably seen as "better" but in terms of computer science and engineering type degrees i think we're seen as "better" in the industry because we have more practical experience.
    As for books, you won't need many for first year. In fact I think the only one you will need is "A guide to C programming" by paul kelly, which i'm sure you'll be able to get quite easily provided its in print, otherwise you can try buying second hand off a 2nd year. Apart from that, some lecturers may give you an optional book to get that they take their lecture notes from or just one that they recommend but tbh you probably won't need any extra books.

edit: as orla said, you really shouldn't worry about your degree at this point. Get through the course first and then worry about a job

TBH company's don't give a rats where your degree is from they just look for expierence (Well this is just my opinion from looking for a job in the last few months).

I don't think ''A Guide To C Programming'' is in print anymore so unless they've changed the book (which is doubt) you'll have to get one off a second year.

(It's prob better now it's not in print anymore, I was made go to book shop on Kevin St. and buy it when I didn't have it for one of the tutorials... and what was worse was I had a copy of it at home !! ... I got one signed by Paul so it will be worth MILLIONS in a few years ! :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Razthor

So what do we actually need on the first day? For registration etc.

Thanks lads...can't wait for tommorow.and do some actual programming lol.

orla wrote: »
    TBH company's don't give a rats where your degree is from they just look for expierence (Well this is just my opinion from looking for a job in the last few months).

I don't think ''A Guide To C Programming'' is in print anymore so unless they've changed the book (which is doubt) you'll have to get one off a second year.

(It's prob better now it's not in print anymore, I was made go to book shop on Kevin St. and buy it when I didn't have it for one of the tutorials... and what was worse was I had a copy of it at home !! ... I got one signed by Paul so it will be worth MILLIONS in a few years ! :) )
    Paul Kelly? The name sounds familiar...is he not a prof. at DIT? jeez he must be loaded - lol if he is that gud..an autograph sounds great..
    the only autograph i have ..is from The Edge! lmao :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

the only autograph i have ..is from The Edge! lmao :cool:
    Only? Am I the only one baffled by this...

Adriatic wrote: »
    Only? Am I the only one baffled by this...
    Yep only - I rarely get to see some of the stars like cold play or snow patrol to sign an album or something..as they hav little time to hang around
    before i culd get the picture wiv the edge and the autograph was pure hard...the 360 tour was massive..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Yep only - I rarely get to see some of the stars like cold play or snow patrol to sign an album or something..as they hav little time to hang around
    before i culd get the picture wiv the edge and the autograph was pure hard...the 360 tour was massive..
    No lol, I thought it was strange the way you were demeaning The Edge and comparing him to this paul fella, you couldn't have a better person to get a signature from than him, I bet it's worth some money.
    Anywho back on topic.

Adriatic wrote: »
    No lol, I thought it was strange the way you were demeaning The Edge and comparing him to this paul fella, you couldn't have a better person to get a signature from than him, I bet it's worth some money.
    Anywho back on topic.
    Oh i'm sorry if it sounded hell i surely dint mean that! The few minutes i had with The Edge was awesome..the guy is way better than Bono to be honest :L .. yep except i got the autograph on my glasses case and on the 360 tour book and album cd lol:cool: n some other stuff xD enuf....
    :pac:

Razthor wrote: »
    So what do we actually need on the first day? For registration etc.
    i was told to bring passport and the receipt saying i paid the school fees - too expensive! had to pay 4grand.(app.)
    and maybe ur pps number as well..check the letter u got maybe? and be der by half 9 :D

i was told to bring passport and the receipt saying i paid the school fees - too expensive! had to pay 4grand.(app.)
    and maybe ur pps number as well..check the letter u got maybe? and be der by half 9 :D

sh!t, thats expensive, looks like fees are in now for newbies

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Monkey_Pirate

Jaysus that is expensive. Remember the good aul days when you gave them 800 quid and you were sorted for the year?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Razthor

Jesus Christ I thought it was only 1500? Haven't even paid it yet, gonna be screwed tomorow when I tell them it's only getting down on the day.

Have all the other stuff though, thanks.

Razthor wrote: »
    Jesus Christ I thought it was only 1500? Haven't even paid it yet, gonna be screwed tomorow when I tell them it's only getting down on the day.

Have all the other stuff though, thanks.

Yep..had to pay that..
    It looks grand..but god many ppl doing Comp. Sci - i think some are even repeating..em wat we gonna do on monday morning..just hav a nap till 3?

so we just put money in the a/c three times and we get 50e? we dont even have atm or a/c number yet :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mike009

can anyone help me? i dunno what day we're supposed to go back in, tommorow or monday?

mike009 wrote: »
    can anyone help me? i dunno what day we're supposed to go back in, tommorow or monday?
    I like helping..feel like superman..
    you have to be in on monday afternoon - lecture starts at 1200pm....:) gud luck
    ...im confused except im trying to find the site to register for the Windows 7 launch..comp.dit.ie doesnt work :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mike009

I like helping..feel like superman..
    you have to be in on monday afternoon - lecture starts at 1200pm....:) gud luck
    ...im confused except im trying to find the site to register for the Windows 7 launch..comp.dit.ie doesnt work :confused:

thanks a lot, and thats strange that it doesnt work for you, it works fine for me, heres the link for registration,

http://www.comp.dit.ie/website07/news.php?id=109

Advertisement