Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT228-Year 1 Chat [mega-merge]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Lol
    5. Write a program that tries to read from the keyboard into a variable without using the & in front of the variable in your scanf() statement. Watch what happens - KaBoooooooom !!!!!
    :D

Is anyone else finding the programming easy and quite slow?
    In fact problem solving aswell he just repeats the stuff we do in the labs.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Problem solving is a breeze, missed a few C programming classes so can't comment on that since I'm a bit behind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Programming is of a slow pace until you get to pointers in about two months. Make sure you dont miss those lectures as pointers are one of the most important programming feature

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Full marks..awsome:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Hey lads, just thought id drop a post here cuz the fact that I got offered this course NOW after my geography went up u know.

What have I missed? I know 2 lads in the course already so thats super handy in terms of not feeling alone...etc

I was doing computer engineering in blanchardstown and dit would b a million times handier for me. what am I in for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭davedrave

good c programming lectures, not so good problem solving.

who is lecturing C and problem solving this year?

Michael Collins for C and that country chap for problem solving... Think his name is richard..

Michael Collins for C and that country chap for problem solving... Think his name is richard..
    ahh right same two guys i had for those subjects back in first year.

Richard Lawlor is a legend.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Lawlors a legend lecturer, just study his previous years solution, you'll prob get something like 90% identical in xmas exams, no joke :D :pac:

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

Lawlors great when he goes off to pump iron rather than going to a lecture:D

Got our first haskell test next monday, what should we expect :P

Got our first haskell test next monday, what should we expect :P
    fib numbers come up a lot.

pretty sure one of the questions was to solve fibbonaci sequence using recursion and iterative methods.

memory is hazy though as it is like 4 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yeh defo revise fib numbers.

His tests are pretty much the same every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭davedrave

fib numbers?? hes only just started teaching haskell! the first few lectures were more like the computer architecture class than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

davedrave wrote: »
    fib numbers?? hes only just started teaching haskell! the first few lectures were more like the computer architecture class than anything

Second test it the fibs stuff. First test is basics in Hugs such as cubes and this sort of thing:

happy :: Int -> Bool -> Bool
    happy age healthy = age >= 21 && age < 40 || healthy

lol don't tell me you sill have that stuff. If so email it to me I'd like to have a laugh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

So's everybody ready?
    im just using http://www.comp.dit.ie/rlawlor/Prob_Solv/labtests/Lab%20Test%201%202007-10.pdf to study. Seems easy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Address Not Found

this could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

you mean this
    http://www.comp.dit.ie/rlawlor/Prob_Solv/labtests/Lab%20Test%201%202007-10.pdf

Lab Test 1 - based on material covered in lab upto chapter 4.
    I just spent an hour going over chapter 5 :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Strange_Fruit

Is this an open book test?

Well we're on computers, don't really see the point in using a book :D
    But I don't see how they'd stop us from looking up how to do it unless they put in blockers or something..

as far as i can remember it is an open book test i.e. you can bring in notes etc.

but you aren't allow use any IM/email clients for the duration of the test.

Are you able to go onto his comp.dit.ie website and look at his instructions :P

can't remember dude, it was 4 years ago :P.

so not in the mood for this 2mz..hopefully its a open book test then...that U drive has loooooooooads of hugs functions..sure they'll be useful:D

I'm sure we'll all get through it, there's only one thing I'm having trouble with in the sample test..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

Cremo wrote: »

Richard Lawlor is a legend.

quote forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Soby wrote: »
    so not in the mood for this 2mz..hopefully its a open book test then...that U drive has loooooooooads of hugs functions..sure they'll be useful:D

Not sure, (long time ago) but I don't think this is open book. But RL always alternates between 2 tests. Just memorise the one from 2 years ago and you are good to go! ;)

DISCLAIMER: RL is known to do unpredictable things 0.0001% of the time.

• Advertisement

Jesus i was told he does the same tests every year..haha didnt think they'd be that similar..was like the exact same as last years:L

Advertisement