Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT228-Year 1 Chat [mega-merge]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

The hardest subject is probably problem solving because if you phase out for a few seconds your lost.

communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

I don't think she lets anyone fail that.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Joebits

goreyguy wrote: »
    what's the hardest module in 1st year?

Problem solving! Just gotta make sure you ask questions in the labs to make sure you understand what your doing. Do not be afraid to ask. Most people wanna ask the same question but are not bothered. Be that person who asks questions and life will be easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

great thanks

so 1st day is 13th of september. Just a query but where is DIT kevin street actually located, google maps has it one place and the school of computing further down the street. I'm guessing its a mistake by google

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

il be starting Dt228 in a few weeks :)
    just wondering will i need a laptop ? and any other specific stationary or equipment ?
    Peace :pac:

You don't need a lapotp but it is handy. Just bring a copy and some pens, you'll need one book for programming he'll tell you what that is and get the SU shop to order it in so you can get it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Joebits

You'll need 1 book for programming: c programming by paul kelly. Costs 20 quid. All you need, as said above, a notepad and pens, and a memory stick is very important to transport your work/projects from college to home and as a backup of important assignments incase the college drives crash(highly likely as it is DIT).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I don't think she lets anyone fail that.............

She takes great pleasure in failing people for it, and since it's CA, there's no repeats. I know people who've had to do the year again over it. That said, it's not a hard subject as such, it's just eh, not much fun. Show up for every lecture, keep the head down, eagerly agree with whatever you're told, and don't badmouth it on any well known bulletin board sites, and it's fine.

Problem Solving is the hardest subject in first year by far. I don't know anybody who comes out the other end of it with anything approaching an understanding of it, but if you just learn stuff off by heart you should be alright. Past papers FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Just checked the time tables don't really understand with all the different classes,does anyone know roughly how many hours of class will there be ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

beno619 wrote: »
    Just checked the time tables don't really understand with all the different classes,does anyone know roughly how many hours of class will there be ?

It's around 25 hours a week if you go to all the labs and lectures.

I reccommend going to all the labs and making the most of it. Remember, the supervisors are there to help, they're being paid so take advantage of them and ask questions.

Does anyone know if you fail Algorithms on the Repeats just there, Do you just re-sit it with the 1st years next May? How does it work? Do you have to pay for it yeh?

Seamus remind me to slap you when we're back in college :D

WHO AW YOU??

YOU LOVE MY BIG FONT YA NUT!!

Seriously though, how does it work? Because that Algorithm Repeat Paper couldnt have been worse!

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Seriously though, how does it work? Because that Algorithm Repeat Paper couldnt have been worse!

You repeat in during the exams with the first years. I'm not sure if we have to pay

You repeat in during the exams with the first years. I'm not sure if we have to pay

Ok..grand.

and this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman_321

Joebits wrote: »
    Anyone doing computer science this year, with a laptop, you're gonna need this!

lol how could you forget a compiler? :D

i think Business and Problem Solving are definitely the hardest.

Problem Solving imo should be about teaching one how to SOLVE problems.
    Not writing some bloody functions. To be honest i actually don't remember solving an actual problem in that class, except in programming.
    I just memorized the haskell codes and that was it. I don't remember Haskell to think of it lmao.

I have read that programmers should learn some business skills because programmers or as Collins prefers Software Engineer are not well paid - what i have read. But I just hate business. It is boring, I love programming, science but Business i can't remember anything after the class. There is no will to study it. I scraped a pass in the exam lol if not for the CA.
    And I assume that Law this year would be as terrible...
    btw who knows who we are having? and do we get CA's in Law

I can't wait for this year tho :D
    has to be interesting right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Is Art Sloan still bouncing around kevin street? What a man he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Anyone know whats up with the timetable next week? Remember Cian(?) saying we had no labs next week. So our first class is on monday at 1 for personal and comm development IIRC.

also he mentioned something about getting an email from him, i don't think i did, gota new one from DIT about registrations sometime last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Patrick_O

Delighted I found this:),

Will be very handy throughout the year

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sam Wang

Hello guys, I'm a Year 2 CS student but studied another course in another college last year, so could anyone kindly tell me what you have learned in your first year?:) Thx very much

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

All the info should be here:

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dt228/yr1.html

Peter

thx:) but i wanna know some details such as what language have you learned and what software is used etc.

last year i learned Java in another college, so if DIT taught another language such as C/C++ or whatever I'll have to learn it myself these days:(

Another question:(
    just check my timetable (DT228 Year 2) and found that there are 3 groups, but Group B has 1 more hour than Group A and 3 more hours than Group C every week. is there any difference between these groups:confused: and how and where can i know which group i belong to?

Sam Wang wrote: »
    thx:) but i wanna know some details such as what language have you learned and what software is used etc.

last year i learned Java in another college, so if DIT taught another language such as C/C++ or whatever I'll have to learn it myself these days:(

Good for you (envious ha).
    Last year we learnt C. this year we're learning C++ and you already know Java :)
    hence my comment.
    Welcome to DIT :D

Sam Wang wrote: »
    Another question:(
    just check my timetable (DT228 Year 2) and found that there are 3 groups, but Group B has 1 more hour than Group A and 3 more hours than Group C every week. is there any difference between these groups:confused: and how and where can i know which group i belong to?

Don't worry about all that. The timetable is probably wrong. It will be sorted on Monday hopefully.
    As for a group having more hours and the other it shouldn't be that way..?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

this is for the first years..

Whats the craic with the programming labs on monday?

Group C is at a different time to a and b? According to the timetable, group C labs are at both 10am and 4pm..?

Just wondering if anything has been said so far about the timetable? Cheers for any info.

• Advertisement

Hi to all Year Two mates. I'm so disappointed that I couldn't see any of you this week. I sent an email to some of the lecturers yesterday, and I decided to post it here.

> I was informed last week that I should renew my GNIB card and student
    > visa before this Friday. I asked the international office to assign
    > some letters for me to let me renew these stuff before the semester
    > began, but they insisted that I could only get these letters after my
    > registration on last Friday. As a result, I can only renew these stuff
    > within this week.
    >
    > Then on Monday I was told that DIT can't issue me an attendance letter
    > (which will be needed to renew my student visa) because I didn't study
    > here last year. As a result, I had to go back to my former college to
    > get my attendance letter. It took me a whole day to travel back to my
    > former college DKIT which is based in Dundalk, Louth to get my letter.
    >
    > Yesterday I went to the Immigration Office to register my GNIB
    > card. I got there at 9 am (which is the earliest time allowed for
    > students' applications), but then it came out that I have to wait for
    > SIX HOURS. As a result, when I finally got my GNIB card renewed, it
    was
    > almost 5 pm.
    >
    > Today I went to the Immigration Office again to renew my Re-Entry visa.
    > Got wet by a sudden freaking heavy rain in the morning. Spent 3 hours
    > waiting in line. Finally got a cold:(
    >
    > I need to go to the British Embassy to apply for a UK visa tmr
    > coz I will attend a Rubik's Cube competition in Nov(only 4weeks left),
    > so I have to apply for the visa within this week.
    >
    > To conclude, due to my especial and rare situation, I will need to
    > spend at least four days on various visas, GNIB card etc. This means
    > I'm very likely to miss most of the courses for my first week:( This
    > really sucks but I don't have other choices:(

OK that's all for my story. Really sounds like a "story". Actually that's what an International student has to do every year.

So I'll have to miss classes for tomorrow too:(

ps: just a few doubts. Does anybody know who is our mentor this year and could give his/her email to me plz? I need to talk to him/her regarding my absence for this week. Also, how do I know which group I will be in?

Thx:)

Advertisement