Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT228-Year 1 Chat [mega-merge]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Anybody found any decent online resources for getting to grips with Haskell/ Hugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eccentric Toast

Does anyone have all the up to date material on Problem solving? Need to study and dont got much on it, im usually asleep in that class. yes yes i know its my fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Strange_Fruit

Is tomorrows test open book?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Is tomorrows test open book?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Does anyone have all the up to date material on Problem solving? Need to study and dont got much on it, im usually asleep in that class. yes yes i know its my fault.

http://www.comp.dit.ie/rlawlor/Prob_Solv/index.html

probably know about it, but his website has pretty much all you need to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

I am so ****ed for tomorrow... whats the deal with failing exams so :P

Yup.

I'm totally boned. It's the one subject I just can't follow, and to be honest, I think a lot of people are in the same boat.

The concepts seem simple enough, but Hugs is such a pain in the ass to use ("blah blah You've got a ; in the wrong place" "There's no ; in the damn thing!") and the... uh.. well... I'm going to very diplomatically suggest that the notes leave a lot to be desired. Yes. The notes...

I just wish there was a book or something like for C.

Yeah.

That's part of it too, if I can't figure something out from my C notes or lectures, I can just go and look it up in a book or on the web. Haskell doesn't seem to exist outside of that lecture hall. If we can't follow the... uh... Notes... there's nowhere else we can go. Argh.

I'm not looking forward to tomorrrow.

I just wish there was a book or something like for C.
    what's giving you hassle with C, post up any specifics and i'll give ya hand just don't expect me to sit exams for ya or anything :P

also get yourself to this site http://www.cprogramming.com/ it's an invaluable source for all things C and C++ which hopefully ya's will still be doing next year.

*EDIT*

sorry read that wrong, thought you needed help with C, left the reference to the website above for C, it is a good site.

i'm unsure of any books for haskell as it seems like one of those languages that everything is online. books are over rated though in my opinion too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Un-Big

Just use 2nd years as code monkeys to do all the questions on last years test and hope you can just c&p and change a few operators. Thats what i did.. =D

So what does happen when we fail this one, anyway?

you have a second haskell test yes?

if i remember correctly if you learn how to do the Fib numbers both iterative and recursively (calling the fib function within the fib function) and tuples you should be fine.

also i was in a haskell lab there the other day and richard was doing the Class person thing as well, i'm pretty sure that will come up too.

also just remember that you can totally fail continuous assessment so long as you get 40% overall in the module from the exam.*

*not advisable though as lab tests are easy marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dave the robot

Slinky Sam and stuff

for any one interested most of the class had it correct when they said question 1 was True, http://www.oncourseworkshop.com/Learning001.htm .

slinky sam is a murderer, if he hadnt murdered Babe in the first place we wudnt have been arguing over whats true and false in this story.

Nevermind if anyone saw that...
    Gotta try and do some of the database on access 2007 now...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭suckmyloli

suckmyloli is leslie
    not a joke

Yeh, I'm not leslie!! And I strongly resent that as I don't want to be related to her in any way shape or form. I'm not gonna give my name as she monitors these pages and she already dislikes me but I am a student at DIT any doubt email me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 NiteOwl2

Yeah.

That's part of it too, if I can't figure something out from my C notes or lectures, I can just go and look it up in a book or on the web. Haskell doesn't seem to exist outside of that lecture hall. If we can't follow the... uh... Notes... there's nowhere else we can go. Argh.

I'm not looking forward to tomorrrow.

seriously, try the library, it has books in it;

http://library.dit.ie/search/Y?SEARCH=haskell&SORT=D

Didn't find The Haskell School of Expression much help, and I'm waiting on The Craft of Functional Programming. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Garkah

someone was asking me what book is it we have to get for the business assignment, anyone know?

• Advertisement

Garkah wrote: »
    someone was asking me what book is it we have to get for the business assignment, anyone know?

Schermerhorn: Management, 8th Edition
    Modern Management. Tiernan, S. D., Morley, M.J., Foley, E., Gill & Macmillan, 1997.
    Management, 5th edition. Cole, A. J.. Pitts Publishers, 1998

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭suckmyloli

BaRcOe wrote: »
    slinky sam is a murderer, if he hadnt murdered Babe in the first place we wudnt have been arguing over whats true and false in this story.

those stupid brain teasers are retarted and make me feel more dumb than I already am :mad: can't wait for this madness to end so the brain teaser induced bloodshed can stop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Is Arts lab where we disassemble the old pc's today or next week???

Today, in case you weren't in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

For those who cant get their head around flowcharts in problem solving:

flow_charts.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭davedrave

very good lol, i think im beginning to understand them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭davedrave

lads wtf happened with crawdaddys?? went there early and the place was empty, went off and drank and came back at about 11 and suddenly its over 21's only! Needless to say we didn't get in and spent the rest of the night in dorans.Was still a good class outing, but severly lacking in class members :confused:

Did this happen to everyone lol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

228 First Year nights out have always been in Cornerstone
    you deserve it for screwing with tradition

cornerstone has really gone downhill though. went down hill a year before they changed the name to shine.

beforehand it was awesome 3 euro pints of anything, awesome jukebox music, barman who could pull a pint and have a great yap to. now it's just like they don't give an arse and gone all metro with their crappy salsa music that's going 24/7 and you've no idea when it changes track.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

cornerstone has really gone downhill though. went down hill a year before they changed the name to shine.

beforehand it was awesome 3 euro pints of anything, awesome jukebox music, barman who could pull a pint and have a great yap to. now it's just like they don't give an arse and gone all metro with their crappy salsa music that's going 24/7 and you've no idea when it changes track.

Agree totally! And also agree 100% about the dreadful music there now constantly playing!

Nick

Advertisement