Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT228-Year 1 Chat [mega-merge]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

orla wrote: »
    What's the assignment ?

get 1750 posts on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Strange_Fruit

Does anyone have an idea of what topics to look over for the maths exam?I bought the 08 papers today and there was nothing on statistics so i dont want to waste a load of time studying something and it doesnt show up!Did Dr Browne(:pac:) say what topics would be coming up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭davedrave

any thoughts on whats coming up for maths?? the notes seem to be rubbish and the papers i bought are missing pages for maths of all things. and no i never went to maths :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm just working with the sample paper he has uploaded.

Agree about the notes though, Lord Jaysus... The Student Maths Learning Centre notes are infinitely more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

for maths

cryptography is a dead cert.
    as are matrices.

number systems (binary,oct,hex) are a pretty safe bet too.

i learned all my maths from going to the tutorials, also the book they recommend is complete overkill way too much information in it.

you need to get yourself schaum's "discrete mathematics" it's about 20 quid and it comes in useful for maths in second year too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Bit late now:p..Bring on the repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Strange_Fruit

Im just pissed all the hours i spent learning histograms and statistics..then it doesnt come up:(

Im just pissed all the hours i spent learning histograms and statistics..then it doesnt come up:(

I know its a bit of a joke last years paper and this years was so different:mad:

Anyone got aaaaaaany tips on OS:confused::confused:

anyone:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Did he teach you about the ins and outs of the OS and Shell Scripting?

If its Hugh Mc... The exam paper from Last Year will be useless for you, so get the one from 2 years back.

Also: Bus ****! :pac:

• Advertisement

Ignore which??Hugh's paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Soby wrote: »
    Ignore which??Hugh's paper?

The one from Last year, I dont think Hugh thought OS last year. Also dunno if he thought 3 years ago. If he did that would also help.

Did yous do the thing about some chinese men with chopsticks in a restraunt?

I vaguely remember something like that?

The Processing, Spooling, Multitasking, OS Architecture, Memory Allocation, Shell Scripting..

There was bloody loads of notes to learn so a good tip is too subtitute large chunks of text with memorizing Detailed Diagrams with a small description underneath.

Works well for OS anyways.

Good God, OS marking was hard. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gian-Pa

Results are out.
    No exams for me on September :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

Gian-Pa wrote: »
    Results are out.
    No exams for me on September :D

lucky:rolleyes:

5 for in semptember :(:(

dunno how i failed algorithms:eek: test was simple

least i got 70 in programming :p:p

bossa_nova wrote: »

Any exact date for repeats?

bossa_nova wrote: »

5 what the christ
    did you just play world of ****ing warcraft all year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

5 what the christ
    did you just play world of ****ing warcraft all year

Calm the personal abuse. For the love of god....

Calm the personal abuse. For the love of god....

I'm sure at some point everyone who failed 5 first year exams will come back and politically bite me in the ass, but hey no fear right

So we talking late august for repeat exams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

Late August/Early September

So, repeat exams. Seriously, when/ how do we know when they are...?

Need to know for work fairly urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

So, repeat exams. Seriously, when/ how do we know when they are...?

Need to know for work fairly urgently.

Chances are they won't send out a schedule till mid august. Best bet imo is just to book a week or 2 off around end of august/beginning september. Otherwise contact DIT and ask them if they can give you a provisional timetable or at least a start date

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

cant wait to start this bad boy next month :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Well, seeing as I'm going into Year 1 myself I thought creating a topic similar to last years new DT228er's would be useful for us.

Has anyone received stuff in the post from DIT yet? Not sure if we have an orientation day, but if we do I'm not too sure of the dates on which it's happening.

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Well, seeing as I'm going into Year 1 myself I thought creating a topic similar to last years new DT228er's would be useful for us.

Has anyone received stuff in the post from DIT yet? Not sure if we have an orientation day, but if we do I'm not too sure of the dates on which it's happening.

Yeah was going to create it myself!Think we have a orientation day of sorts on the 14th september! Haven't got a package myself have you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Hey, good to have you in here. Nah, I've got nothing yet from DIT, where'd you read about the orientation day? I've looked on the site but haven't been able to find anything relevant.

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Hey, good to have you in here. Nah, I've got nothing yet from DIT, where'd you read about the orientation day? I've looked on the site but haven't been able to find anything relevant.

im just guessing because last year I think they had some sort of orientation day on the 1st day!What ur real name beau? So ill know to say hi :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Razthor

Hey, ye im a Dt228 aswell. Sis was saying theyve got a few orientation days. Aungier street is supposedly the best, bouncy castles and stuff like that. But im not sure

Any of yas get stuff from them today? Im wondering when its gonna come:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

I'd say nothing will come till the first round is over

Advertisement