Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light in the Sky

Options
  • 23-09-2008 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone.

I'm based in Mayo and on the night of the 21st at 9:17pm, I was outside my home facing south. When above the houses across the road, a bright light appeared and was moving from the south heading to the north-east at speed, also it travelled in an arc. It was brilliant white, about twice the size & brightness of the brighter stars in the sky. It travelled about 1/4 away across the sky from an angle of 10 to 35 degrees. Anyway I dont know what it was but it wasn't the usual suspects. It was a good distance away so no detail was available.

Now I'm also an amateur astronomer,
    so I know it wasn't the ISS or other satellites.
    It wasn't a plane, asteroid or meteorite etc.

So any thoughts anyone, it was fascinating to view, hadn't time to video as it appeared and disappeared in 30 seconds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I know your saying your sure it wasn't the ISS but it sounds like it was, it will be in view in the South at 10pm tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

I'll be out at 10pm to check it out for comparisson, thanks
    I know your saying your sure it wasn't the ISS but it sounds like it was, it will be in view in the South at 10pm tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I heard on the radio recently that the ISS was passing over Ireland and would be by far the brightest object in the sky at that time and there was a visability window of around 1 minute I think if not less...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Hi

Your probably right lads, didn't see it again but I have seen it before travelling from west to east on a few occasions, wasn't as bright as this, this was the first time I seen it coming directly from the south. Maybe it was catching the setting sun as it was rising?
    But its the only plausable explanation.
    Darragh29 wrote: »
    I heard on the radio recently that the ISS was passing over Ireland and would be by far the brightest object in the sky at that time and there was a visability window of around 1 minute I think if not less...

Advertisement