Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Meteor data problem

• 23-09-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭

Background -
    I have a Palm Centro with Google's Mobile Maps app (GMM) running fine until about 10 days ago. Then the app stopped connecting (error is datarequest.cpp:473, basically a timeout). Wiped device and only loaded map app - no difference. All other net apps work fine; browser, email, cabbage, bart ...

Connecting the device to a LAN via a PC and Bluetooth the app worked correctly. Leads me to suspect there is something funny on the Meteor side. Packet sniffer showed GMM to be just be using port 80 for talking back to the map server.

I'm using the data.mymeteor.ie APN. Spoke at length with CS - to no avail. Didn't want to know about trying the isp APN.

Any meteor techs lurking here that may have a clue what's happening? Is there some application-level filtering taking place?

Anyone else experience oddness like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

ozymandius wrote: »
    Background -
    I have a Palm Centro with Google's Mobile Maps app (GMM) running fine until about 10 days ago. Then the app stopped connecting (error is datarequest.cpp:473, basically a timeout). Wiped device and only loaded map app - no difference. All other net apps work fine; browser, email, cabbage, bart ...

Connecting the device to a LAN via a PC and Bluetooth the app worked correctly. Leads me to suspect there is something funny on the Meteor side. Packet sniffer showed GMM to be just be using port 80 for talking back to the map server.

I'm using the data.mymeteor.ie APN. Spoke at length with CS - to no avail. Didn't want to know about trying the isp APN.

Any meteor techs lurking here that may have a clue what's happening? Is there some application-level filtering taking place?

Anyone else experience oddness like this?

Hmmn works OK for me on a SE. Can you post the sniffer trace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

re trace - I can only get a trace of the successful connect. That what you mean?

re trace - I can only get a trace of the successful connect. That what you mean?

yup!

Attached is a screen dump from Ethereal. Data file is available.

A clarification to my original message - Meteor CS were very helpful and spent a lot of time with the technical teams, but were unable to resolve the issue?

An old question? Is there a difference between the two APNs; data and isp. Is isp now unavailable? data is NATed. Is isp?

I see I'm not the only one who has had this issue ...

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=1414420

This was with 3-UK and it just fixed itself. Annoying.

• Advertisement

Do you have the most recent version of the client? It might be a flaky client implementation :confused:

Nah. Tried current and previous releases. different message - same effect.

Nah. Tried current and previous releases. different message - same effect.

Maybe if you could get a trace of the app running successfully on another phone it might give a few hints as to the problem?

I hate resurrecting old threads, but ...

As we've seen over in the Meteor BB discussion Meteor are using a proxy server - so we all look like the same IP; 212.128.64.70. Well the same proxy is used for data.mymeteor.ie and isp.mymeteor.ie too. I had a look at the speedtest.net stats for the IP and they go back to beginning of September. Exactly when my troubles with GMM started. Coincidence?

So if any Meteor people are reading this (MBB?) please pass the message on to the network center. Your proxy sucks.

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Has anybody tried using a port other than port 80 as mentioned in the original post?

• Advertisement
Advertisement