Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receipt for internet banking transactions?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I've just used my Internet Banking to transfer a sizeable amount of money into someone else's account.
    However there is no facility to print out a receipt for this transaction.
    Because all it says when you're finished is simply "Your transaction has been processed"- no mention of amounts, dates, account numbers, sort codes etc.

I've printed the preceding "Do you want to confirm this transaction- date/amount/account number" bit alright but that's no good really- because that's just the step before confirmation so it's not a receipt.

Does this mean there is less comeback with an online bank transfer/bill payment than if you went into your branch and did the transfer.

I've been using Internet Banking for a while with small amounts of money so never paid too much attention to receipts but just noticed this now.
    Anyone any advice on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

What would you need the receipt for?

What kind of comeback are you looking for? What I mean is that it's not like buying a product and it turns out to be faulty! From what I see there are only 3 outcomes form transferring funds:

1. You successfully transfer the funds and everyone is happy (no need for a receipt)
    2. The transfer doesn't go through and everyone's balance remains the same (no need for a receipt)
    3. You accidentally transfer to the wrong nsc/account. You would need to contact support and get them to transfer the funds back to your account so you can try again. (no need for a receipt for this as everything is logged and balanced internally).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

dotsman wrote: »
    What would you need the receipt for?

What kind of comeback are you looking for? What I mean is that it's not like buying a product and it turns out to be faulty! From what I see there are only 3 outcomes form transferring funds:

1. You successfully transfer the funds and everyone is happy (no need for a receipt)
    2. The transfer doesn't go through and everyone's balance remains the same (no need for a receipt)
    3. You accidentally transfer to the wrong nsc/account. You would need to contact support and get them to transfer the funds back to your account so you can try again. (no need for a receipt for this as everything is logged and balanced internally).

What i mean is some kind of equivalent to the receipt you would receive at your branch if you were to do a bank transfer there.
    Say if an unscrupulous recipient said they didn't receive anything- if you did it in a branch you'd have your receipt.
    Online you don't get anything.

You say it's all recorded internally if you do it online- i take it this is
    sufficient if a dispute arose with the recipient about whether it was sent or not?

BTW, it's the same for paying bills online- no receipt printable for the online transaction. Again i presume their internal logging is sufficient, is it.
    It'd just be nice to get some record of it printable on paper like at your branch.

Oh yeah, it is very transparent to the bank.

The fact that the transaction shows up on your account statement is more than plenty.

For example, when you query an ATM/Debit/Credit Card transaction, they are immediately able to tell you what ATM/shop, what time, how much it was for etc. It's the same for all online transactions.

Whether or not they would be able to confirm it immediately or need a day to investigate would depend on the bank I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Oh yeah, it is very transparent to the bank.

The fact that the transaction shows up on your account statement is more than plenty.

For example, when you query an ATM/Debit/Credit Card transaction, they are immediately able to tell you what ATM/shop, what time, how much it was for etc. It's the same for all online transactions.

Whether or not they would be able to confirm it immediately or need a day to investigate would depend on the bank I suppose.

Fair enough.
    Even though, with all those transactions- ATMs, debit/credit cards etc, you get a receipt as well.
    Just seems funny there's no similar printable receipt for Internet banking if you wanted one.
    You just have to trust the internal logging.

tech77 wrote: »
    Fair enough.
    Even though, with all those transactions- ATMs, debit/credit cards etc, you get a receipt as well.
    Just seems funny there's no similar printable receipt for Internet banking if you wanted one.
    You just have to trust the internal logging.

True, but they're trying to get rid of ATM receipts now as everyone just threw them away as litter (notice how most ATMs now ask you do you want a receipt, and defaulting to no).

Credit Card receipts are more useful, as often you can use them instead of the shop receipts. However, you don't need to have the receipt when querying the bank over a certain transaction.

When it comes to banking, your real receipts are your statements. When you do an on-line transaction, it appears immediately in your account statement. Again, banks are trying to do away from automatically printing your statements and just having it available on-line (due to the fact that, like receipts, most people just threw them away - expensive for the bank, bad for the environment, and potentially dangerous for identity fraud etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 racer25

I don't think a receipt is an outrageous request from a bank, particurlarly online.

Print it to PDF as a record ?

I contacted our own business bank who fax me every time we receive a transfer... any chance of getting these on email? Nope.

I personally like the idea of a receipt.

racer25 wrote: »
    I don't think a receipt is an outrageous request from a bank, particurlarly online.

Print it to PDF as a record ?

I contacted our own business bank who fax me every time we receive a transfer... any chance of getting these on email? Nope.

I personally like the idea of a receipt.

But again, what for? It serves absolutely no purpose! Why request a fax every time you receive a transfer?, is it not just there right in front of you on your statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 racer25

But again, what for? It serves absolutely no purpose! Why request a fax every time you receive a transfer?, is it not just there right in front of you on your statement?

The fax is there so I don't have to look at the statement every 30 minutes and it gives me far more information than one line on a statement, as again would receipt give me more information than 1 line on a statement.

The point is the banks could do a lot more for customers than they presently do.

I have experienced other countries banking services and amazed at how far behind our banking system is.

Advertisement