Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feeding my amazon habit

Options
  • 23-09-2008 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

there's a stack of unread books beside the bed and a large amazon shopping basket ready for action so I'm telling myself that I'm going to get through the unread pile before buying any more.

bit of background first:

top 14 authors in no particular order:
    Douglas Coupland
    Iain Banks
    Ian Rankin
    Will Self
    Haruki Murakami
    Brendan Behan
    T.C. Boyle
    Christopher Brookmyre
    Flann O'Brien
    Banana Yoshimoto
    Irvine Welsh
    Nick Hornby
    Jasper Fforde
    Martin Scott/Millar

top 6 sports books:
    The rider - Tim Krabbe
    A season with Verona - Tim Parks
    Only a game - Eamon Dunphy
    The fight - Norman Mailer
    The escape artist - Matt Seaton
    Friday night lights - H.G. Bissinger

Currently reading:
    I play the drums in a band called okay - Toby Litt
    What I talk about when I talk about running - Haruki Murakami

Just finished:
    Strangers - Taichi Yamada
    A good japanese ghost story. I can't get enough of japanese fiction at the moment and this was up there. I like the way that japanese authors stress the detail of ordinary japanese life. Even amongst extraordinary happenings we need to know the contents of the boxed lunch or what piece of music was playing. I love Haruki Murakami's mix of the surreal and banal.

Attack of the unsinkable rubber ducks - Christopher Brookmyre
    I like Brookmyre's style and I like his Jack Parlabane character. This was a pop at the world of psychics and creationists (or woo as he calls it). A good story, funny, a few twists with a few well reasoned arguments for rational thinking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Finished:
    What I talk about when I talk about running - Haruki Murakami

good, quite technical though - not sure how it would read to non-runners. It was nice to know that Murakami goes through the same challenges and experiences the same joys in running as us mere mortals.

Started:
    Best American sports writing 2008,
    it's going to be more of an occasional pick up rather than a read it in one sitting job so it might be there for quite a while,
    I'm a big fan of the Best American.... series, I pick up the short stories, sports writing and Dave Eggers' non-required reading every year.

Last book abandoned:
    Then we came to the end - Joshua Ferris. Dull dull dull.

Last book reread:
    Love and peace with Melody Paradise - Martin Millar.
    A great book about a new age traveller and her efforts to reunite her family by holding a festival.

Finished:
    I play the drums in a band called okay - Toby Litt

I enjoyed this a lot. Not so much a novel as a series of first person accounts of life as a drummer in a candian indie band. It's quite random and disjointed but it works well. It's very Couplandy in both style and content.

I loved Beatniks and Adventures in Capitalism but I thought Toby Litt was very hit and miss after those (more miss than hit) but this is as good as those two. Was sorry when it ended.

Finished:
    A big boy did it and ran away - Christopher Brookmyre,

really enjoyed this, international terrorism with a scottish flavour, filled with gaming and music references,
    sometimes he overcooks the satire which can be a tad annoying even if you agree with him,

wow, it's over a month since I finished a book,
    that's the curse of Football Manager,
    anyway

Finished:
    Grotesque - Natsuo Kirino,

took a while to get through this, was totally different to the same author's "Out" and tougher reading. It's more of a character study than a crime novel.
    The main character's younger sister and an old classmate are prostitutes that have been murdered. The book explores their back stories through letters and journals and the back story of the murder suspect through his confessions.

Despite struggling through it I was sorry when it was over, it leaves an imprint. I'll be thinking about it for a while.

• Advertisement

Finished:
    The Sweat of the Gods - Benjo Maso,

I expected a bit more from this, I thought it was going to detail cycling's legendary characters and races but it's more of a potted history of pro cycling and the Tour de France in particular. It's quite a short book so nothing gets too much detail.
    It works as a brief history of cycling but I was hoping for something a bit meatier, like Calcio, John Foot's history of Italian Football, which I have on the go as well at the moment.

Finished:
    There are Little Kingdoms - Kevin Barry,

I loved this, a wonderful collection of short stories, mostly set in small town Ireland.
    He has a great turn of phrase and describes the settings and landscapes brilliantly - afternoons are feeble, people have furious eyebrows, you could be on the expressway bus trundling through the damp Tipp countryside.

I used to love his Examiner column and hoped that this book wouldn't disappoint and happily it didn't.

One to go back to.

Finished:
    Drivetime - James Meek,

strange one this, started off loving it but found it a chore to finish it.
    It starts off conventially enough, a student wants to move from the town of Edinburgh to the town of Glasgow (where the people are hard and cool and warm) and offers to collect an antique egg for a guy he meets at a party.
    This turns into a wild goose (egg) chase and it diverts from the standard road trip and hurtles at breakneck speed through England and across Europe. It gets quite surreal and hard to follow, things change substantially from one sentence to the next.
    I was glad I stuck with it though as the ending was quite good.

Sputnik Caledonia - Andrew Crumey,

loved this, couldn't put it down.
    The first part of the book is set in the 70s, about a 12 year old scottish boy who wants to be a cosmonaut. It sets out his life and his influences (his family, 1970s Britain, Marxism).
    The second part of the book takes place in an alternative communist Britain (BDR) and is set in a secret military town where the boy is taking part in a secret space programme. It's all very 1984 and keeps you turning the pages.
    The final part is set in the 21st century - can't say much more without giving away too much. Great book.

Finished:
    The death of Marco Pantani - Matt Rendell,

A book of two halves. The first half concentrates on Marco's bike racing career prior to his positive test at the Giro. The accounts of the races and Marco's attacks are brilliantly descriptive and evoke great images of him soaring up the climbs.
    The second half is much more forensic and is more about Marco's blood than Marco. He makes cameo appearances which highlight the downward spiral his cocaine abuse was taking him on. There's a lot of medical terminology and comparisons of various blood measurements as well as times/durations of phone calls, who called who etc.

There was nothing too surprising in it although I was shocked as to how his mental health apparently deteriorated so quickly.
    You probably don't need to be too hung up on drug use in sport to follow pro-cycling. You'd rather it wasn't there but it is and has been for a long, long time and you're deluding yourself if you think your heroes are clean.

Forgot to log this last week:

Finished:
    The sacred art of stealing - Christopher Brookmyre,

More of the same and I mean that in a good way (unless you don't like Christopher Brookmyre in which case it's probably a very bad thing).
    The second book featuring DS Angelique de Xavia and it's got bizarre robbers, plenty of misdirection, humour and the usual goading of old firm fans. What's not to like.

• Advertisement

Finished:
    Last chance to see - Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine,

A really good read. It was in the pile next to the bed for a while but I decided to get to it before the upcoming Stephen Fry TV follow up.

Adams and zoologist Mark Carwardine travelled around the world looking for endangered species for a series of radio documentaries at the end of the eighties.
    Adams' humour and style shines through in his observations and set pieces but it's also a poignant read and illustrates the fragility and complexities of ecosystems. Man and rats don't come out of it too well though.

Finished:

The best American non-required reading - edited by Dave Eggers,

This is an annual series compiling fiction, non-fiction, magazine articles, comics etc. edited by Dave Eggers and compiled by a batch of high school students.
    This year's selection was pretty poor, there was nothing really stand-out in it apart from a couple of good articles about Argentina's white train and Ethiopian jews in Israel. Some of the fiction was very poor. This hasn't been great for the last few years and this might be the last one I get.

Finished:
    Shadow Family - Miyuke Miyabi
    Real World - Natsuo Kirino

2 fairly similar Japanese thrillers.
    In Shadow Family the focus is on the investigation of 2 initially unrelated murders. Most of the action centres on the police investigation linking the murders, an internet chatroom and an elaborate interview to snare the killer.
    Good, but not as good as Crossfire from the same author, probably more like a clever episode of The Bill, but Japanese and cool.

In Real World the killer is pretty obvious from the start and the book follows the main suspect on the run and his interaction, firstly with his next door neighbour, and over the course of the book her 3 friends.
    A good, well paced read. It's the 3rd of her books I've read and they've all been pretty different from each other so far.

Finished:
    One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night - Christopher Brookmyre,

Another page turner, witty with a bit of a daft plot - set on a school reunion on a converted oil rig.
    I've been working my way through all of his novels in the last year or so and haven't found a bad one yet.

Finished:
    The Book of Other People - Edited by Zadie Smith,

a so-so collection of short stories, the hook being that each story is about a particular character.

The list of contributors promised more but only David Mitchell, Daniel Clowes, Dave Eggers and Colm Toibin stood out.

Finished:
    The Best American Sports Writing 2007,

I love American sports and I love American sports writing. Some very good pieces in this ranging from an analysis of Bugs Bunny's baseball performance to the way the trainer industry exploits high school kids.
    Stand out articles were on a long-standing saturday basketball game, surfboard technology and a retired football player shunning the limelight in Hawaii.

Great reading.

Finished:
    Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell,

I enjoyed this a lot. It's 6 nested stories, the main character in the next story is reading or viewing the previous story. The stories are split into 2 parts and range from a 19th century pacific voyage to a post-apocalyptic future.
    It took a bit to get into but once it gets going it's very enjoyable, although the middle section that divides all the stories was slow going but worth sticking with.

Finished:
    In Search of Robert Millar - Richard Moore,

a great account of the career and subsequent disappearance of the British cyclist.
    Millar was part of the wave of english speaking riders that made cycling so popular here in the 80s. This book is a fascinating account of his career. It's not just a list of races and positions. Richard Moore is a former bike racer and he describes the tactics, the significant events and the politics of the peloton brilliantly.
    Millar was unconventional and complex and aside from an email exchange in the epilogue didn't contribute to the book but the author does a good job of piecing together interviews and reports from the era as well as input from the likes of Stephen Roche and Allan Peiper.

Finished:
    Clear Water - Will Ashon,

Based around a shopping centre I was expecting a kind of character study of contemporary Britain but it's a somewhat surreal novel around a diverse set of characters loosely connected to each other and the shopping centre. It's a bit David Mitchell but doesn't quite come off in the end, although it kept me reading long enough for it to be gone too far to abandon it.

Finished:
    A Snowball in Hell - Christopher Brookmyre,

This time Brookmyre sets his sights on celeb culture with the return of Simon Darcourt on a celeb killing spree and DI Angelique de Xavia on his tail with the help of magician Zal Innez. There's some very elaborate set ups and plot twists, a bit of sleight of hand and misdirection; it should be ridiculous but it's a great read. There's the usual lack of subtlety when Brookmyre's trying to hammer home but it's a funny and engrossing book.

• Advertisement

Finished:
    Hello Sailor - Michael Hutchinson

Michael Hutchinson is a pro cyclist who wrote a very funny book - The Hour - about his attempt on the world hour record. Before becoming a cyclist he was into sailing. When considering retirement from cycling he revisits the world of competitive sailing for a year to see if he can give it a go. It probably started off as a good idea and it's a pretty decent effort but there just doesn't seem to be enough material to fill it. He's got a lot of memories and stories from his teenage sailing days but is disappointed when he revisits old haunts with new crews. He blags his way on board a number of boats but pretty much all the characters he meets seem to be rather joyless and boring and the funniest parts are from the old stories.

Finished:
    What's Going On - Mark Steel

As Mark Steel turns 40 he tries to make sense of why both the british Left and his marriage are falling apart. Some well observed social commentary is interspersed with details of his marriage break up. Sometimes it feels like he's stating the bleeding obvious but that could be just that he's preaching to the converted. That said, I would imagine most readers would be fans of his to begin with and share his political views.

Finished:
    A Dog in a Hat - Joe Parkin,

Joe Parkin was an american who went to Belgium to become a pro cyclist in the 80s. This is a good account of the less glamorous side of cycling (although let's face it, there isn't really a glamorous side to cycling). It's all here, the drugs, the team orders, the travelling from town to town for crit races and very little prize money.
    There's nothing either earth shattering or hilarious in it.
    He seems to bump into most of the big stars of the time at some stage but doesn't really have any great stories to tell. But maybe that sums up the life of the journeyman cyclist.

Finished:
    We All Live in a Perry Groves World - Perry Groves.

I got this from one of the lads at work a while back and it was sitting in the pile beside the bad. But Perry Groves has been on Radio 5's Fighting Talk a couple of times recently and he's been quite funny so I bumped it up the list.

Perry Groves was an average footballer who was a bit part player in the successful Arsenal side of the late 80s/early 90s. It's a good read from a time when footballers were a bit more like normal folk than they are now. That said, there are a few "Do you know who I am" type incidents in there and Perry bears more than a few grudges against those who may have upset him on the way up and down. There's a lot of stories from the Arsenal drinking days, he's happy to name names more often than not. He was also prolifically unfaithful and doesn't cover it up even though it doesn't show him in a particularly good light (I'm not sure Perry sees it this way though).

Finished:
    The Commitments
    The Snapper
    The Van - all Roddy Doyle,

I don't think I'd read these since they came out so after watching The Snapper a few weeks back I got them out again. Very enjoyable and fresh after the films being the main reference for so long.

Finished:
    Mobius Dick - Andrew Crumey,

almost abandoned it but stuck with it, mainly because of the quality of the references on the cover, and enjoyed it. I'm not sure if I understood it though. There's a lot of Quantum Physics and philosophy going on, overlapping threads through time and parallel universes.

Finished:
    The Godfather - Mario Puzo,
    This had been sitting beside the bed for over a year before I took it on holidays. A fantastic read, the films were magnificent but this is even better.

Reheated Cabbage - Irvine Welsh,
    A collection of previously published short stories and a new novella. Some of the old characters are revisited such as Begbie and Juice Terry. The quality varies a bit, there's nothing outstanding and the new one is probably the weakest.

Skinheads - John King,
    I hadn't read John King since The Football Factory years ago and didn't think much of that. Being a bit of an ageing rudie I said I'd give it a go and I really enjoyed it. The skinheads are proper skinheads, not the stereotype racist meatheads that are usually portrayed. It's loaded with reggae/ska references and the characters are very believable.

The Rider - Tim Krabbe,
    A reread of one of my favourite books of all time. An account of a one day cycle race in the 70s from one rider's perspective might not sound very good but it's riveting stuff. You get totally inside the rider's head, his conversations with himself, the struggle to keep going. You get familiar with the other racers even though you know little more than their names. It's engrossing, you really do feel like you're in the race. It's a remarkable book.

At War - Flann O'Brien,
    A collection of Cruiskeen Lawn articles from the war years, some brilliant, some surreal and some from off days. They're grouped into themes but these seem fairly loose. There are some gems in there.

Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow - Jerome K Jerome,
    A collection of comic observations from the author of Three Men in a Boat, most of them still quite funny given that they were written over 100 years ago. Topics range from idleness to love to pets and babies. It's not as laugh out loud as Three Men.. but would give most current columnists a run for their money.

Finished:
    One Day - David Nicholls,

A pair of students sleep together on 15th July 1988, at the end of university, and vow to keep in touch. The book then stops on their lives on the same day every year. It works really well. You're compelled to keep reading to find out what's happened during the year. The characters are well formed and believable and the ebb and flow of life over 20 years is captured brilliantly.
    A very enjoyable read.

Finished:
    The Butt - Will Self,

Will Self's been pretty disappointing over the last few years. The Book of Dave was something of a return. This isn't quite as good but still an improvement on some of what's gone before.
    It's typical Will Self absurdity, a tourist in a fictional Australia-like country throws a cigarette from a balcony that lands on the old man staying below. As part of the local legal system he has to embark on a road trip to make reparations to the old man's native bride's people.
    The road trip and its cast of characters are entertaining but it runs out of steam near the end and the ending is a bit too half-baked.

Finished:
    The Fallen - Dave Simpson,

The Fall have had well over 40 band members over the last 30 years with singer/dictator Mark E Smith the only constant.
    This book is an attempt to contact all of the ex members to get a flavour of life inside and out of the band as well as a sort of biography of Smith by proxy.
    It's a decent enough read, some good anecdotes and you do get a flavour of the intensity of being in The Fall. Band members are punched mid-gig or abandoned in the middle of nowhere. Simpson tends to big up the importance of both his "quest" and The Fall's influence in his life a bit too much though.

Finished:
    Englischer Fussball: A German View of Our Beautiful Game - Raphael Honigstein,

Raphael Honigstein is a German journalist who's been living in the UK since the early 90s and is a frequent guest on the Guardian's Football Weekly podcast.
    I was expecting this to be a German's eye view of English football but it's more of a series of essays on various aspects of it - its history, the English taste for suffering, football and fashion, hooliganism etc. Nothing new really, but given that the book was originally written in German for a German audience this might be an unfair criticism.
    The last chapter explores the English attitudes to Germany and vice versa and is probably the most insightful chapter in the book, especially regarding both nations' attitude to the war. Honigstein reflects that the Germans are more embarrassed about starting the war than losing it. Because of this there is no real nostalgia or retro culture in Germany as there is in the UK, Germans tend to look forwards.

A decent enough read, a nice potted history of football with a slightly German slant.

• Advertisement

Finished:
    Pandaemonium - Christopher Brookmyre,

Probably the least enjoyable Brookmyre book I've read. You expect an outlandish setup in the middle of Scotland but this was far fetched even by his standards, verging towards fantasy. It lacked the normal helpings of satire, although he had an easy target in the catholic church.
    A group of kids from a catholic school go on a retreat after a stabbing in the school. Meanwhile, underneath the ground, a top secret military experiment opens a porthole to another world.

Advertisement