Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some opinions.

Options
  • 23-09-2008 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭

I wonder if I'll get them :pac:

I wanna play a 'new' rpg and I don't know what to play (I thought I'd get good feedback here).

Conditions:

It must be for the PS2 and not too expensive (Leave me be, I'm poor).

I've only really ever played FF so if you name it, I probably haven't played it.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dragon Quest VIII. It's far and away the best RPG on the PS2.

Be warned it takes a while to get into. It's not very story heavy at all but makes up for it with wonderful characters battle system, graphics... well everything else. It's just that some one used to FF games with their over the top melodrama may not initially get Dragon Quest VIII. It will also last you ages, it's massive.

Suikoden V is a good alternative. It's very plot heavy and a bit more realistic than most RPGs, dealing with war and it's consequences rather than magic and some twat trying to destroy the world. It does however take a while to get going. The first 4-5 hours aren't that great but there's a story twist around then and the game is mostly solid gold from then on out.

Grandia 2 is also worth getting if you get your hands on it. Great story and probably the greatest battle system of any RPG.

Rogue Galaxy is also worth picking up but it can be a little expensive in some places and hard to find.

Thats just off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

the most recent JRPG that make me wanna play is still from Square :pac: FF12,but then it was a complete disappointment.think back of that,in Ps2 era,i have only completed very few RPG:(i am getting old...

try them!
    SuperRobotWars series (i dont know what do they call in english version,they have always been my favourite)
    .HACK series( i have finished first 2 of them,not bad,qualit stuff,my number 2 JRPG on PS2,FF10/okami is no1)
    Okami
    valkyrie 2

shining force ,suikoden,star ocean,tales series on ps2 should be good too(played them on ps1).someday i will try them on ps2....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Dragon Quest VIII, fullstop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Persona 3 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I'd go with Dragon Quest 8 as well, great game.
    I'd also suggest the .Hack series (4 of them so far, should be quite cheap now, make sure to get them in order though as you can keep your character skills/levels/weapons from the first game and bring them all the way through).
    I'd also suggest Shadow Hearts. 1 & 2, I had a lot of fun with them (theres a third one, but I've yet to play it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

+1 for Dragon Quest and the Shadow Hearts series.

You should also try Xenogears/Xenosaga and the Shin Megami Tensei games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

final fantasy X
    its epic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Probably should have specified I've played all them... :)

Cheers for the replies lads, got Dragon Quest VIII. Excellent.

Also managed to get my greasy mits on a 360 for a while, with Lost Odyessy. Opinions? Its quite difficult and I'm wondering if its worth it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a good game worth playing, it just doesn't live up to the standards of the old RPG games. Still far better than the crap sqaure enix shovel out.

You should definitely get Eternal Sonata on the 360, quality RPG and Blue Dragon is rather good as well although the story is very simple. Tales of Versperia will be a must have when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Gotta try this Dragon Quest lark - sounds epic..!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Fresh Breeze

Get Shadow Hearts: Covenant. It's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

is the .hack series worth getting? i've been thinking about investing in them for a while but i'm not sure

is the .hack series worth getting? i've been thinking about investing in them for a while but i'm not sure

I've heard mostly bad things about them.

as have i, that's why i've put off getting them!

was checking out a few you mentioned; rogue galaxy looks good and you can find it cheaply enough second hand on ebay.

and suikoden V? what's that about? is it a follow on from I, II, III and IV i suspect!?

All the suikoden games take place in the same world but follow the plights of different countries during either a war or political upheaval. They are pretty much self contained stories with no need to play the previous ones but if you played the previous games the returning characters are a nicce addition. Anyway Suikoden V takes place 10 years before the first game.

ok cool, think i'll check out the fifth one so, thanking you

Give the fourth one a miss, it's not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Retr0gamer wrote: »

You should definitely get Eternal Sonata on the 360, quality RPG and Blue Dragon is rather good as well although the story is very simple. Tales of Versperia will be a must have when it comes out.

I just looked up the story on this and I now must have it. Any game that allows me to play as Chopin is a must have IMO. :)

Jesus...names like Allegretto, Tenuto, Forte, Baroque, Polka...PRINCE CRESCENDO!!!...... I MUST HAVE THIS GAME! :D

You won't be disappointed, it has a great battle system, very surreal story and just looks gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Bought blue dragon myself recently, Its okay but i'm finding it a bit meh myself. I certainly cant fault the game, there's nothing wrong with it (except some annoying char voices and sound effects - English language version).

Halfway through disk 2 at the moment and I put it away for a while. Maybe i'm just not in the mood for it recently.

• Advertisement

I'm the same with Blue Dragon as well. The battle system is really excellent but it's a bit on the easy side. The story just wasn;t good enough to keep me hooked so I got side tracked. I'll go back and beat it but it's a bit disappointing considering most of the Chrono Trigger crew were behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

I wonder if I'll get them :pac:

I wanna play a 'new' rpg and I don't know what to play (I thought I'd get good feedback here).

Conditions:

It must be for the PS2 and not too expensive (Leave me be, I'm poor).

I've only really ever played FF so if you name it, I probably haven't played it.

Cheers!

Suikoden V without a doubt. It takes awhile to get going but once it does its a fantastic experience. I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Although not really RPGs in the truest sense I recommend the Kingdom Hearts series.

Like S5 (Which Ive yet to get into-finding Dark Chronicle a bore and a chore to be honest) the first one takes a few hours to get into but it improves ferociously after the 3rd or so world.

The second one is pure gold, the story, music, set pieces production values everything. I would recommend playing it on hard though-there was only one boss in the 2nd on that gave me trouble whilst I nearly broke my controller during the first game.

Advertisement