Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone remember the old CIT forum?

• 23-09-2008 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

It was up in 2005, but it was taken down for political reasons. Some guy got harassed on it and they didn't want to take the risk. These student union types are usually very bureaucratic anyway - those kids never had to run any organisation before so they just love doing everything by the book.

About a year later I asked the guy who used to be in charge 'so are you the muppet who closed down the forum?' on bebo. he got all pissy over it and started throwing the terms and conditions of bebo at me. he even got some guy who has the same first name as me into trouble over it because they thought it was him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

ya somewhere at the very arse end of '05 and the start of '06 they got very uptight about everything. closed down all the open wifi and that sort of thing. apparently they got sued by MGM a few years ago because some guy downloaded a bunch of movies. that websense thing is random as hell - they banned my site probably because it mentions the word proxy but they don't bother banning the actual proxy itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I remember words being spoken to Philip (Publications Officer) about why CITSU (forums) was down. If I remember correctly, I think it was because Users were giving out about lecturers and calling them inappropriate names and the lecturer in question went apesh*t about it. The the SU went to a lawyer for advice who said to close it down. I remember a load of us outside the SU when it was in the prefab just kinda hanging around. The protest thing that one of the lads tried to organise wasn't successful.

It's a shame. I was a regular :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

sure hopefully now this one will get going here and we'll be laughing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I remember it, when it started up.
    They closed it for the SU elections for some reason and it was never really the same after that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Yeah I was fairly regular too. Among other things one particular user (not even a student) was threatening other users and the union just had no clue how to deal with it. Was a handy thing to have when I was in 1st year though, great time waster met my boyfriend at the time through it... lots of couples on it actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Hey Gauge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

http://citsu.ie/forums/

Think I prefer this to the super moderated version!

deegs wrote: »

i made the mistake of posting in there a few days ago

its only a matter of time before i get kicked out of collitch over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

towel401 wrote: »
    i made the mistake of posting in there a few days ago

its only a matter of time before i get kicked out of collitch over it
    Your not to guy with the Rant on it about becoming a University, no? - I had to agree with what he had to say though. A funny rant though.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Your not to guy with the Rant on it about becoming a University, no? - I had to agree with what he had to say though. A funny rant though.

nope. i did reply to that thread though

if i posted that i would be in jail by now

It won't be there long, it was quite entertaining to read.

its been up there since march. which is kind of surprising

usually they disappear after a couple of days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 yodagnic

^^ lo all :D just wondered across this tread :D good to see some old names again :) hope you all well

I know you Yoda (I think), think you on my MSN - guy with the leather jacket yeah? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 yodagnic

lol yea that me ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hattrick

deegs wrote: »

Boards.ie have similar if not stricter rules on what you can disuss than the CIT forums. As you can see, you cannot discuss or review certain gigs organised by a specific company.

Hattrick wrote: »
    Boards.ie have similar if not stricter rules on what you can disuss than the CIT forums. As you can see, you cannot discuss or review certain gigs organised by a specific company.

at least it isn't run by CITSU so I won't actually get in trouble if I call someone a muppet here. i might get banned so if I think the person is a *real* muppet and worth the ban I'll still do it. but that other place was really caught up in bureaucracy i'm surprised the rant about university status is still up.

With 6 posts I amn't quite sure how you became such an expert with how boards.ie works. It isn't that bad - not as bad as CITSU

• Advertisement

Webmonkey wrote: »
    With 6 posts I amn't quite sure how you became such an expert with how boards.ie works. It isn't that bad - not as bad as CITSU

Have been using boards.ie for years but decided I wanted a new username. I agree with a certain level of moderation as some people are very brave hiding behind the net. The only thing is that nobody is ever 100% anoymous and must face consequences if making false or harassing posts or mistake the difference between rumours and facts.

i wouldn't think so. people have become far too sensitive to harassment and the like and always expect someone higher up to deal with the e-bully, have him tracked down and kicked out of school. a sort of blame culture where everything has to be made fair. in soviet korea kids commit suicide over e-bullies which is quite patethic. like nobody ever taught them how to stand up for themselves.

a while back i was thinking of hosting a private 'anything goes' cit forum off my own server but then this place came along. which is grand except a bit of a pain in the hole that you can't talk about lecturers. because theres a couple that could do with a good slagging session

i wouldn't think so. people have become far too sensitive to harassment and the like and always expect someone higher up to deal with the e-bully, have him tracked down and kicked out of school. a sort of blame culture where everything has to be made fair. in soviet korea kids commit suicide over e-bullies which is quite patethic. like nobody ever taught them how to stand up for themselves.

a while back i was thinking of hosting a private 'anything goes' cit forum off my own server but then this place came along. which is grand except a bit of a pain in the hole that you can't talk about lecturers. because theres a couple that could do with a good slagging session

The reasons forums have rules is due to immature posters with anything goes attitudes - true or not. Personally I'd love to see to see your forums as I know with the money some lecturers have they could easily take you to the cleaners in court if anything false was stated. Who'd be crying then??

I have nothing against warranted criticism or good debate, once it is based on fact and not personal attacks.

I don't think that sort of stuff applies to private forums. because it wouldnt be available for the public to see. even if one of them somehow got a login.

and since i don't own a whole lot what are they going to get from me? my '91 banger and half my gadget collection? it would cost more to sue me than anyone could ever get out

edit: i think i'll wait till i'm gone from cit before drawing more trouble on myself.. :)

I don't think that sort of stuff applies to private forums. because it wouldnt be available for the public to see. even if one of them somehow got a login.

and since i don't own a whole lot what are they going to get from me? my '91 banger and half my gadget collection? it would cost more to sue me than anyone could ever get out

edit: i think i'll wait till i'm gone from cit before drawing more trouble on myself.. :)

This issue hasnt really been tested in Irish Law yet but seeing that Boards.ie have warnings about what gigs you can discuss, I presume they don't want to be the first.

The limitiations of awards would depend on how the party was injured. If it was in a private forum, it may reduce any possible injuring but doesnt mean that you still cant be sued. Stating lies about any CIT student/staff on the CITSU forums or boards.ie would be more damaging to that person than say on a soccer website. All very complex but nobody wants to test it.

in regards to you not having much now, I'd still be afraid. If you were found to have injured a party due to false comments you could be sued for a large amount and would have to declare bankruptcy. This means you'd more than likey still be driving around and living in that '91 banger in twenty years time as you couldnt get a loan for a new car or house.

Anyway most people sueing for slander etc are doing so to restore honour and not for cash. But saying that, it would put a smile on your face to see them in the hot seat after some childish comments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

This issue hasnt really been tested in Irish Law yet but seeing that Boards.ie have warnings about what gigs you can discuss, I presume they don't want to be the first.

The limitiations of awards would depend on how the party was injured. If it was in a private forum, it may reduce any possible injuring but doesnt mean that you still cant be sued. Stating lies about any CIT student/staff on the CITSU forums or boards.ie would be more damaging to that person than say on a soccer website. All very complex but nobody wants to test it.

in regards to you not having much now, I'd still be afraid. If you were found to have injured a party due to false comments you could be sued for a large amount and would have to declare bankruptcy. This means you'd more than likey still be driving around and living in that '91 banger in twenty years time as you couldnt get a loan for a new car or house.

Anyway most people sueing for slander etc are doing so to restore honour and not for cash. But saying that, it would put a smile on your face to see them in the hot seat after some childish comments...

+1 ya that's pretty much the long and short of it. if you think you can't be sued because you have nothing to be sued for, you are so so very wrong.

Anyway being sued would only be in extreme circumstances but the point people should take from this is to have a little bit of maturity when it comes to posting online. Making false, inaccurate and unfounded attacks on anyone is terrible and should be moderated at all times. I am all up for open arguements on issues and legitimate criticisms where warranted. Anything goes attitudes are like toddlers screaming to get their own way...

Shhhhh we making CIT students look bad and immature! :p

with the current economic doom and gloom and the fact that I probably won't get a real job that is likely to happen anyway :pac:

does anyone know if boards won the legal dispute or is it still going on?

• Advertisement
Advertisement