Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Ibiza - Clutch gone - Need car towed

Options
  • 23-09-2008 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

The clutch on my Seat Ibiza (2000) is gone, just about made it home, can't get into reverse or first so will need it towed and to get it fixed somewhere...

I'm on the Norhside, Santry area of Dublin, anyone know a place that will tow the car to get it fixed somewhere, anyone recommend a place in my area to get it done?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Does your insurance provider offer roadside assistance? If so, park (or push) it on the road and call them, they'll tow it to somewhere relatively local for you at no charge to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

crosstownk wrote: »
    Does your insurance provider offer roadside assistance? If so, park (or push) it on the road and call them, they'll tow it to somewhere relatively local for you at no charge to you.

I'm with quinn-direct, but the car is parked in the underground car park in my apartment block, can't move it at all, literally just made it home... tried to move it but can't....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If there is drive to the wheels the car may not need to be towed. If there is drive, it's possible to start and drive a car and change gear without using the clutch. When you drove it home what was it doing? Hard to get into gear? (grinding etc.) Did the drive stay engaged even when you pressed the clutch? Was the clutch slipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

'Crash Shifting' is changing gears without a clutch - doesn't do much good for gearbox but could get you out of a hole if needed. Just match revs when changing...beware of grinding!

Me personally, I'd just slap it into neutral and push it onto the road, if you've roadside assistance get them to tow you, if not, get a friend, and a sling and tow it yourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

BrianD3 wrote: »
    If there is drive to the wheels the car may not need to be towed. If there is drive, it's possible to start and drive a car and change gear without using the clutch. When you drove it home what was it doing? Hard to get into gear? (grinding etc.) Did the drive stay engaged even when you pressed the clutch? Was the clutch slipping?

Well the gear box was getting stuck and grinding, really hard to get into gear, the clutch came very loose and as hard as I pressed I felt it was not giving...yes it would keep driving if I had it in gear and as soon as I took off the break it would move.....thing is there were some patchy moments where I felt it would get stuck in traffic...so not sure if I would chance it, but may give it a shot tomorrow....just need to find a place in Santry close by that will fix the clutch...

• Advertisement
Advertisement