Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking on a Level 2?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

I'm in my first year(pre-med) but for next semester I was going to take on a level 2 elective, physiology of the internal environment. It seems very interesting and I've had a look at some of the lectures on blackboard already. But was wondering would I be mad taking on an elective with such a huge wealth of info. I do think it will help me next year as well though. Plus has anyone taken this elective?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I wouldn't be so quick to take on a Level 2 in premed. For one thing, premed is for enjoying, not for studying :D For another, 1st Med is still only considered Level 1 for most subjects, so you'll be taking on something that you're not expected to be dealing with for another 2 years - you don't even start physiology until the second semester of 1st Med. You may not strictly speaking have to have covered similar material in advance but my bet is that certain lecturers are going to assume you have the basics and you'll end up having to do a lot more background reading than you bargained for.

These are all just my assumptions since I haven't actually seen the course, if you give me a module code I'll take a look and try give you an idea of what stage in your medical programme it compares to. But speaking as someone who's been studying medicine for 3 years with another 3 to go, I can tell you that it's long enough and my overwhelming advice is to enjoy premed as much as possible and minimise your workload while you still can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I basically did that course in my second year radiography and I wouldn't recommend it at all for premed.

If bund is still teaching the cardiac lectures there's pretty rough going and it builds on previous compulsory modules.

There's a lot more than what you did for LC biology and you will spend a lot of time working on it.

As Breezer said, enjoy premed.

Advertisement