Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Cycling Time...pls help

Options
  • 23-09-2008 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hey lads

I got a new job...out in Citywest, and i live in Clondalkin.
    Now ive measured the distance to work at just under 8km (5mile)

The thing is...if i go by bus, it means 1 bus to clondalkin village, and another from there to citywest...and due to bustimes it means 2-2.5 hour journey.

I was just wondering, how long do yous experienced cyclists reckon it would take the average person to cycle the 5mile.

I dont want to race it as im not sure they have shower facilities in the job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Hey lads

I got a new job...out in Citywest, and i live in Clondalkin.
    Now ive measured the distance to work at just under 8km (5mile)

The thing is...if i go by bus, it means 1 bus to clondalkin village, and another from there to citywest...and due to bustimes it means 2-2.5 hour journey.

I was just wondering, how long do yous experienced cyclists reckon it would take the average person to cycle the 5mile.

About 30 to 40 minutes at an easy pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 w200

A very easy cycling pace is 12-14 mph so allow approx 20- 25 mins for your trip . For the first few days give yourself half an hour to have some cooling down time. Good luck and stay safe out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Thanks lads :D
    The job doesnt seem so far away anymore :)

I start thursday, so i'll do a trial run tomorrow and let yis know how i get on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

Yeah, I reckon I'm going to start the cycling commute to work. It's only 8km and I was thinking I'd be there in absolutely no time, then I realised it's the far side of a mountain and I wouldn't be wearing shorts or a t-shirt. Think I'll dry run it the weekend, see how terribly sweaty I get and reconsider!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Get a cycling jersey and shorts with a pad. Change in the toilets if need be, not ideal but better than cycling in full office clothes any day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dakaiser

I just bought a bike at the weekend and started cycling to work yesterday.
    It took me 45 mins to get from Santry to Walkinstown.

Thought I'd be in bits after the cycle home as its been 8 years since I done any proper excersice. I was grand though, a bit tired but not soar.

You'll be fine, it's not as tough as it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could get the route 69 bus or mix the two if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Also, you should sweat less with it coming into winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

You'll be fine. I only started cycling a few months ago and my commute this morning took me 45mins. It's a 20km cycle to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Thanks lads :D
    The job doesnt seem so far away anymore :)

I start thursday, so i'll do a trial run tomorrow and let yis know how i get on :D

Depending on where in Clondalkin you're coming from, and where in Citywest you're going to, this should be fairly straightforward. Cross the N7 at the Kingswood interchange and you're basically there, either from the Grange Castle direction of from the village via Camac Valley.

I previously lived near there, and the 69 bus service is a pain. Two wheels is the way to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you end up really stuck (punctures and the like), remember that it will only take around 1 - 1.5 hours to walk that distance, as opposed to your 2 hour bus journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

seamus wrote: »
    If you end up really stuck (punctures and the like), remember that it will only take around 1 - 1.5 hours to walk that distance, as opposed to your 2 hour bus journey.

It is for this reason that taxis and mobile phones were invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I personally would rather walk the distance than pay a taxi €20. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

I was in a place that had no shower facilities with a 26km cycle. They will always have a disabled toilet with a sink. I used to use this and wash myself from the sink with a wet towel and then dry myself off. No one ever complained about a smell of sweat ;) I would bring clothes to change into

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

But taxi drivers are on the breadline - they need our money.

Haven't you been watching the news? Keep up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Lumen wrote: »
    It is for this reason that taxis and mobile phones were invented.

It is for this reason the puncture repair kit was invented. Get a coupe of spare tubes, a pump, levers etc....

OP - agree with the otehr lads on cycling gear and change when you get there.

I commute 10k and bicycle is the quickest way despite having pretty direct bus routes and the DART.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

seamus wrote: »

That says alot about our city.

Advertisement