Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing car from USA

Options
  • 23-09-2008 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey all, I'm looking to import a car I own from the us. I was told by one person that I'd be subject to all kinds of import taxes but someone else told me that if I own the car and can prove I've been driving it in the us for over 6 months (i have been for over a year) that I'll be exempt from those fees. I've googled the matter but I remain confused. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

As long as you have owned and used it for 6 months, you can bring in in tax free. (No VAT, no VRT).

You must keep it for 12 months on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Johnathon

TheDeficit wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm looking to import a car I own from the us. I was told by one person that I'd be subject to all kinds of import taxes but someone else told me that if I own the car and can prove I've been driving it in the us for over 6 months (i have been for over a year) that I'll be exempt from those fees. I've googled the matter but I remain confused. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, what car are you trying to import?

Advertisement