Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVER WONDER WHAT'S IN YOUR BIG MAC?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

cozmik wrote: »
    You care to back up that rather bold assertion with any kind of proof?

i dont think i need to m8 :D I was refering to people the posters on here wouldnt know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

EileenG wrote: »
    However, to give them their due, the basic burger is just beef and salt. And the salad is just a salad.

Apparently not:
    Lettuce: Iceberg Lettuce, Processing Aids: Sodium Hypochlorite and Citric Acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

taconnol wrote: »
    But I'm not so sure on imported beef. Unfortunately, the McD's website doesn't specify how the cattle are fed, just that they comply with national & EU regulations.
    AFAIK it is all Irish beef, something at least.
    Just to point out, you can't get HFCS from beet - by definition it is a corn-derived product.
    Yep, I meant I presume the sugar in our drinks is locally sourced and is probably from sugar beet, hence you would have beet-derived carbon.

When I say "normal cheeseburger", I'm referring to something that doesn't have this many ingredients:

Flour, Water, Sugar, Yeast., Rape Seed Oil, Salt, Emulsifier E472(e), Soya Flour. Preservative: Calcium Propionate (E282), Flour Treatment Agent : Ascorbic Acid (E300). Processing aids: Fungal alpha amylase and
    Hemicellulase, Beef, Vegetarian Cheddar Cheese (55%), Water, butter, Whey powder, Milk Proteins, Natural Cheese Flavouring, Emulsifying salts E331(trisodium citrate), E450 (diphosphates), E452 (polyphosphates), salt, preservative E200 (sorbic acid) and colour E160(a) (natural carotenes) E160(c) (paprika extract). Processing Aids: Lecithins (E322), Vegetable oil (Rape seed oil - component in lecithin which we spray on slice surface ) , Citric acid E330. Dehydrated Onion,
    Cucumbers, water, salt, vinegar, dill pickle blends, calcium chloride (E509), potassium sorbate (E 202), sodium benzoate (E 211),Tomatoes (126 g per 100 g Ketchup), Spirit Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Spices and Herb Extracts (contains celery), Spice, Garlic Powder, Water, spirit vinegar, mustard seed, salt, spices.

Really, I think the difference is quite clear between this and a good quality cheeseburger.
    :) Lot of stuff in there alright! But one thing I do like about McDs is they are open about the ingredients, they show it warts and all. They list the E numbers and then what it is, many will just show the E number, or just the ingredient, McD's even explain some of the stuff or where it goes. Many consider all E numbers "bad", yet could well be taking vitamins/supplements which are entirely a "E number", e.g. vitamin C as ascorbic acid is E300.

I am not sure of the legal situation but I expect if you ingredients under a certain % then you do not have to declare them. If this is the case I would expect many food labels omit them. I also think they can use tricks to avoid listing the lot, like listing "processed cheese" as an ingredients, while McDs seem to spell out every single chemical used in this processing.

There is a lot of ingredients but I am still not sure if that is normal, i.e. "the norm", like I was saying previously about most food products having this stuff in them. So rather than a "normal cheeseburger" I would say you would prefer a "natural cheeseburger",

To make the same burger in the supermarket I would need, bread rolls, easy singles, pickles, ketchup, mustard, meat. So when you get all those together the list would be pretty big. In fact I think I noticed that the ketchup sachets in McDs or BK actually had less ingredients than regular supermarket heinz, even though it was heinz too.
    I hope the above extract explains this. Corn-derived carbon only "naturally" occurs in the meat of animals that have eaten it, or in other corn-derived products such as xanathan gum.
    It does thanks. Very interesting read. I read something a while back about your body "replacing tissue" continuously, and I think some body parts might be changed every 6 months.

But again the info's implications are not clear to most people, I am not sure if I should be overly concerned about my carbon 12 to carbon 13 ratios. It shows me that in the US they are indeed eating lots of corn derived products. Everything in moderation I suppose though,
    Ok let me rephrase that. I do not think it is a good idea for so many of the products that we eat, to contain such a high amount of one particular grain.
    indeed!

what the hell is that? Dextrose..??? I have no clue.
    Dextrose would be sold as glucose here, in the US it is called dextrose and derived from corn. I think here it would be from beet or cane. It is the crazy "scientificy" names that some things have that look & read so bad. You get glucose in the babyfood section in supermarkets, readily absorbed sugar, why it is used in sports drinks too.
    Lettuce: Iceberg Lettuce, Processing Aids: Sodium Hypochlorite and Citric Acid.
    Again they tell you the ingredients blatantly, no hiding. I expect a lot of supermaket lettuce would have these too. They are not so bad, Sodium Hypochlorite=bleach, is that so bad? I remember some woman in work shocked that a cleaner was using bleach on glasses, until I told her Milton (which I had seen her use) is the exact same thing! you clean babies bottles with the stuff. If you wash your lettuce under the tap then you are "processing it" with very similar chemicals, i.e. chlorinated water.

Citric acid could well be in the water supply too, it is used to soften water, and a descaling agent in kettles. I eat citric acid every day in fruit.

So maybe they are just saying they wash their lettuce!

Have a read of this! just found it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_leaflet_of_Villejuif
    The Villejuif leaflet (also known as the Villejuif flyeror the Villejuif list) was a scientifically inaccurate rumour, passed via a pamphlet, that caused mass panic in Europe in the late 1970s and 1980s as it included common non-harmful chemical substances - in particular, citric acid (also known as E330) - in a list of 10 alleged carcinogens.

Its name derives from its false claim to have been produced at the hospital in Villejuif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

cozmik wrote: »
    corkcomp wrote: »
    +1, couldnt agree more! The very people that often give out about Mc D's are the ones who are eating far worse foods ...
    You care to back up that rather bold assertion with any kind of proof?
    yeah corkcomp... get out there on the streets and when ye hear people give out about bigmacs then follow them and record them eating a "healthy" subway roll and post the video up here. lol... jayzus cozmik yer some boyo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

corkcomp wrote: »
    i dont think i need to m8 :D I was refering to people the posters on here wouldnt know

My bad.

The way you presented your point however was very brunt and sounded as if you were making broad generalisations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 maryo'dee

I read something a while back about your body "replacing tissue" continuously, and I think some body parts might be changed every 6 months

Is it possible to replace your entire brain?.

Advertisement